Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: We love (to beat) LA! - The Southern California homestand

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We really need to get him to the point where he is not a big liability on defense.
    No kidding. If you are a defensive liability, at least try to counter some with offense -- none so far. Scoring a bunch against non-D1 or low-D1 programs does not count -- kinda like our rebounding advantage in early games.

Ucla is BYU basketball if BYU had good basketball players. Happy to sacrifice defense for the sake of offense. Plus, they have an ugly, balding sharpshooter.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    No kidding. If you are a defensive liability, at least try to counter some with offense -- none so far. Scoring a bunch against non-D1 or low-D1 programs does not count -- kinda like our rebounding advantage in early games.
    He has size, and he's not slow or clumsy. There's no excuse for his defense to be this bad. It's just free points when he's in the game.

These announcers are hideous. Bonham never played with Delon, and the putback from Welsh was in the cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    These announcers are hideous. Bonham never played with Delon, and the putback from Welsh was in the cylinder.
    Bonzo picked a great game to reappear.

Utah standing toe-to-toe to a really good team.

But we did that with Xavier and Butler too. We need to get over the hump.

If you know Ball is adept at stealing, why would you be so nonchalant with backcourt passing? Time and again.

Big missed call on Ball while Kuz trying to dunk. Maybe it's a bit of karma on that phantom Alford call.

Wish we hadn't called timeout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Big missed call on Ball while Kuz trying to dunk. Maybe it's a bit of karma on that phantom Alford call.
    As usual, a college basketball game comes down to officiating. What a huge miss.

Sideline would have been much better than baseline for us there.

That last timeout was negligent. Coaching malpractice. The foul situation dictated the decision--no timout. But we've discussed in the past how every time Kodiak does this he loses. Let them fucking play at the end of the game! We lose more than our share of these and it's usually about overcoaching.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    That last timeout was negligent.
    Our chances there in semi-transition were so much better than our chances out of a timeout.

What were the rebound numbers? We gave up two offensive boards late that turned into three pointers for the Bruins.

Ball is just fantastic. Such a smart player.

Hopeful Daniels continue to develop -- terrific trajectory so far.

Rawson -- do something useful for once.

Collett -- don't try to follow-up dunk on everything. You don't have the hops. Just grab the board.

Our chances there in semi-transition were so much better than our chances out of a timeout.
    Not to mention, the instructions should have been if we rebound the ball with whatever time left play ball, and go score. Don't look at me as there will be no timeout. They were hesitant because they knew he wanted a timeout. They should have been hell bent to score and not looking at the sideline.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Ball is just fantastic. Such a smart player.

Hopeful Daniels continue to develop -- terrific trajectory so far.

Rawson -- do something useful for once.

Collett -- don't try to follow-up dunk on everything. You don't have the hops. Just grab the board.
    Collette is terrific. He so far exceeds my expectations it's ridiculous.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

That last timeout was negligent. Coaching malpractice. The foul situation dictated the decision--no timout. But we've discussed in the past how every time Kodiak does this he loses. Let them fucking play at the end of the game! We lose more than our share of these and it's usually about overcoaching.
    End of game tactics are not LK's best thing. Just let Bonam do his thing and drive or dish.

I feel bad for Kuzma. That was a brainless shot.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

LK almost lost his mind on that one. One of his assistants had to restrain him.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Collette is terrific. He so far exceeds my expectations it's ridiculous.
    Don't disagree. Just an observation.

On the postgame, Larry said he wanted Bonham to push it, but bonham called the time out.

They got too too too many second chance points off of offensive repounds. The Rawson johnson lineup killed us. I think we were a collective - 20 for their time on the floor.
    Last edited by concerned; 01-14-2017 at 06:27 PM.

What were the rebound numbers? We gave up two offensive boards late that turned into three pointers for the Bruins.
    We out rebounded 35-34. But second chance points were 23-9.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    On yhe postgame, Larry said he wanted Bohan to push it, but bonham called the time out.

They got too too too man second chance points off of offensive repounds. The Rawson johnson lineup killed us. I think we were a collective - 20 for their time on the floor.
    He needed to have told him that the last time they huddled or before that. I was remembering the last play of the Oregon State game last year. Every time my little kids go anywhere out of my sight I say watch for cars. He should have said no fouls then, just to make sure it was an on their minds. Bonham should have known, here I am, we talked about this, coach wants me to do my thing.

It's interesting you're such an LK apologist in contrast to football season.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Also on the postgame, Soto said kuzma should have driven and make them foul.

There's a lot to like about this team and this game. Daniels is sooo promising. Such poise and court vision in a freshman. Bonam makes things happen. Barefield has great potential. I love how many guys we have who can get to the hoop and score. Collette's footwork and scoring ability are a pleasant surprise. Jo Jo didn't have a great game but he's going to be a good weapon for us.

Now if Krysko can just change his approach to end of game situations. The only time I've seen his teams do well in that situation was last year against Colorado. And what did he do? He let Bonam go coast to coast and score.

Sigh.

But...everything this team is doing this year will be foundational for next year. I think we'll be good. Maybe we will yet sneak into the Dance this year.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    There's a lot to like about this team and this game. Daniels is sooo promising. Such poise and court vision in a freshman. Bonam makes things happen. Barefield has great potential. I love how many guys we have who can get to the hoop and score. Collette's footwork and scoring ability are a pleasant surprise. Jo Jo didn't have a great game but he's going to be a good weapon for us.

Now if Krysko can just change his approach to end of game situations. The only time I've seen his teams do well in that situation was last year against Colorado. And what did he do? He let Bonam go coast to coast and score.

Sigh.

But...everything this team is doing this year will be foundational for next year. I think we'll be good. Maybe we will yet sneak into the Dance this year.

Duke game in NY too

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

Sigh.

If you read the post by concerned, apparently LK did want Bonham to drive without taking the timeout.

They got too too too many second chance points off of offensive repounds. The Rawson johnson lineup killed us. I think we were a collective - 20 for their time on the floor.
    It's tough. Ucla is bombs away from distance, so there are a lot of long boards.

Maybe they were gassed, but I would have preferred running the starters to death in a game like this. Rawson just can't get in until he is not free points for the bad guys.

Why does a help perimeter defender collapse on Ball when he drives? We all know he's looking to kick out for a three. Force that guy to make a tough layup.

Duke game in NY too
    Duke was not an elegant finish.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

If you read the post by concerned, apparently LK did want Bonham to drive without taking the timeout.
    Saw that. Maybe Bonam saw something.

Anyone else wonder why the ball ended up in Kuzma's hands 24 feet from the hoop? I'd love to watch a replay of that one. Surely we wanted the ball in the hands of Daniels, Bonam or Barefield.

--Yeats

Duke was not an elegant finish.

I thought you were looking for a win over an elite team, not one with an elegant finish.

--Yeats