Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome!

Welcome!

The full site is almost ready for visitors, but while you are waiting, please feel free to introduce yourself. We anticipate full functionality in the next few days.

Thanks,

The Board of Trustees.

Hello there.
    I am smitty - I am a student (Full time) at the U, (Political Science, and Information Systems) I also work full time as a Systems Administrator for the School of Business.

Huge Ute fan ever since I was a kid, but I am also a fan of the Idaho Vandals since that is my wife's alma mater. Season Ticket Holder for Football (NEZ Represent!)
    I attended the U originally in 1999, and 2000 and dropped out, and my wife and I moved down from Northern Idaho (Couer d'Alene) in the spring of 2010. She also works for the U (College of Fine Arts)

In addition to all things Utes, I am big in to NFL Football (Seahawks) MLB (Red Sox) and I am slowly getting back into the NBA (Supersonics). I am also big into Golf during the summer.

You can usually find me more on Twitter (@redsoxunixgeek) where I tweet about the Utes, Technology, and Politics.

Thats me in one short post.

Hello all. I graduated from the U in 2000 with a degree in political science. Since then I have moved back to the DC area, where I am from, and have a law practice that straddles Northern and Central Virginia. I am an avid fan of the Utes, especially football, and also rabidly root for all of the DC professional sports franchises.

I love to talk sports, politics and religion and have done a little of each on the podcast I co-founded along with DC Ute and others at www.mormonexpositor.com.

I am a veteran of all of the Utah and BYU boards in their many iterations, most recently as a former moderator CougarUteForum. During law school I was a very avid poster on Utefans.net and am hoping this can be a place where the best of those years is recaptured and built upon. I'm a founding member of this community and look forward to seeing old friends as well as making some new ones.

Go Utes!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    Hello there.
    Welcome smitty!

Hi all - OrangeUte here. I am one of the founders of the Board and am very excited about this new website.

The orange in my name refers to Syracuse University, where I went to grad school.

I have participated moderately on other Ute related message boards. Being involved in the set up of this board, I believe what UB5 can become is a very special board with a breadth of different people and ideas and personalities that exist in a wonderful community just like our University.

To help foster that type of community, we have named the different forums, to the extent it made sense, after locations on or near campus. For many of us, our years at the U were some if the best and most profound and just seeing the names of a building on campus brings back memories and feelings of nostalgia.

I grew up the son of a major Ute fan. My dad took me to basketball and football games with him at the Special Events Center (now the Huntsman Center) from the time I was about 5. I have tried to continue that tradition with my own sons now that I am a father. It's harder to do this living in Northern California, but thanks to the Pac 12, not cost prohibitive.

I look forward to meeting and getting to know the folks in this community and hope it is exactly like my every experience at the U - memorable!

In the words of the great Tom Barberi, Utah by Five - always!

Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    Hello there.
    I am smitty - I am a student (Full time) at the U, (Political Science, and Information Systems) I also work full time as a Systems Administrator for the School of Business.

Huge Ute fan ever since I was a kid, but I am also a fan of the Idaho Vandals since that is my wife's alma mater. Season Ticket Holder for Football (NEZ Represent!)
    I attended the U originally in 1999, and 2000 and dropped out, and my wife and I moved down from Northern Idaho (Couer d'Alene) in the spring of 2010. She also works for the U (College of Fine Arts)

In addition to all things Utes, I am big in to NFL Football (Seahawks) MLB (Red Sox) and I am slowly getting back into the NBA (Supersonics). I am also big into Golf during the summer.

You can usually find me more on Twitter (@redsoxunixgeek) where I tweet about the Utes, Technology, and Politics.

Thats me in one short post.
    Welcome to the board!

Smitty,

Welcome to the board. As fellow Ute/Seahawk fan, I can overlook your allegiences with the Dead Sox.

Hello. I attended the U back in 03 as an Architecture major but dropped out to pursue concept design for a graphics company. Currently trying to get back to the U to finish up.

Been a fan since 94 when I attended my first basketball game at the Hunty and have been hooked ever since.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm excited to help OrangeUte's smart son continue cheering for the team that runs the Pac.

Im not really sure what to expect, except OU, Jarid and UD are good folks. Are you all now UB5 exclusive? Or will you still be friends at the other place?

Hey guys. Congrats on the new board and best wishes going forward. Looks very nice.

I have been giving JiC some tips and help setting up the site and in the process I have been quite impressed with the newer version of vbulletin. So I decided to spend my afternoon today upgrading CS from vbulletin 3.8 to 4.2. I have been putting it off for three years. Unfortunately, I ran into a database error and the only fix is to upgrade to a bigger server (VPS). So if anyone is wondering why CS is down, that is why. I am hoping to have it restored in the morning (God willing).

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I'm excited to help OrangeUte's smart son continue cheering for the team that runs the Pac.

Im not really sure what to expect, except OU, Jarid and UD are good folks. Are you all now UB5 exclusive? Or will you still be friends at the other place?
    We are friends in any local. I think this is probably home base for most of us now, but no doubt we will be by from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Hey guys. Congrats on the new board and best wishes going forward. Looks very nice.
    Thanks! The new version is pretty slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I have been giving JiC some tips and help setting up the site and in the process I have been quite impressed with the newer version of vbulletin. So I decided to spend my afternoon today upgrading CS from vbulletin 3.8 to 4.2. I have been putting it off for three years. Unfortunately, I ran into a database error and the only fix is to upgrade to a bigger server (VPS). So if anyone is wondering why CS is down, that is why. I am hoping to have it restored in the morning (God willing).
    I hope that gets fixed quick. My guess is Steelblue is wandering around his house mumbling to himself without it. The new version looks pretty sharp.

This whole thing sucks but it is what cuf ec wanted. Now I have to frequent two boards... There goes my free time.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    This whole thing sucks but it is what cuf ec wanted. Now I have to frequent two boards... There goes my free time.
    We think there was a need for a site like this regardless of what happened. I'm glad you're here.

Welcome, smithy, hardcore, flystripper and good old HFN. And thanks for the shout-out, Lebowski. I noticed your board was down -- hey, I still visit -- and hope it gets back up again tomorrow.

Here's my intro. I've been around the various University of Utah-related message boards for a long time, long enough to be the graybeard among the founders of this one. I am very proud to be part of Utah By 5's creation.

i graduated from the U. in 1982 with my law degree (B.A. in 1980) and have been a lawyer in L.A. ever since. During all that time my ardent Ute-ness has only grown. (You can imagine how the PAC-12 affiliation felt to someone like me who had been surrounded by Trojans and Bruins for half my life and then suddenly found myself in the same conference with them.)

This is a family thing with me. I have a son due to graduate from Utah in May and another due to start there this fall. We go to as many games together as we can. My wife and daughter are part of the Ute fan family too, although they refuse to cheer in a way that's as embarrassing as the way the boys and I do.

We hope this will be a great board for Utah fans and and others who follow the Utes. Come on aboard and let's get going!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Hey, wow. You actually did it. Cool.

I am known in other places by other names. I'm not sure I like the one I picked here yet but I've been thinking about a change anyway. I reserve the right to humbly beg JiC etc. to change my moniker if I think of something better. Maybe I'll do it across the board(s).

So, intro. The name should give away the game for those with whom I've interacted elsewhere. I am also a lawyer, I work pillaging the earth, I live in Texas. When not lawyering or pillaging, I do a lot of swimming, cycling and running. Especially running. The living in Texas thing is pretty constant.

I generally have followed Utah football (mostly) for most of my life but not always as a friend, my alma mater being what it is. Still, it remains one of my few ties to my home state, and I tend to play nice I think. I also like the founders of the board quite a bit, so there's that whole personal loyalty thing going on too.

Hi. I'm Snowman. Graduated from the U in '93. I hope this site succeeds because UTE fans deserve an easy to navigate message board. Good luck!

I didn't want to have a 0 posts next to my name, so I thought this was as good as place as any to post.

Hi! I am Clark Addison. I post on Utefans as "Clark Addison" and Cougarboard as "Picklebutton". My parents went to the U so I like to keep tabs on what is going on.

Is there a way to change the default color scheme around here?

Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    Hey, wow. You actually did it. Cool.

I am known in other places by other names. I'm not sure I like the one I picked here yet but I've been thinking about a change anyway. I reserve the right to humbly beg JiC etc. to change my moniker if I think of something better. Maybe I'll do it across the board(s).

So, intro. The name should give away the game for those with whom I've interacted elsewhere. I am also a lawyer, I work pillaging the earth, I live in Texas. When not lawyering or pillaging, I do a lot of swimming, cycling and running. Especially running. The living in Texas thing is pretty constant.

I generally have followed Utah football (mostly) for most of my life but not always as a friend, my alma mater being what it is. Still, it remains one of my few ties to my home state, and I tend to play nice I think. I also like the founders of the board quite a bit, so there's that whole personal loyalty thing going on too.
    Welcome! What other names might we know you by?
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Hi. I'm Snowman. Graduated from the U in '93. I hope this site succeeds because UTE fans deserve an easy to navigate message board. Good luck!
    VB is the best format bar none. Welcome.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post

Yes. Just go up the the address bar and type www.cougar......
    Carl Sagan

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    I assumed his wife was smoking hot, but maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    I have also been a Japanese meat-filled pastry (actually stolen from the Chinese, but that's not my fight). Nikuman, at your service.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post

Hahahahahahaha......uhh what was the question?
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I knew who it was immediately. Fancy Greek names do not fool me.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I knew who it was immediately. Fancy Greek names do not fool me.
    And here I thought I was hiding my identity!

Greetings. Nice board here. Gotta find a better name for the hoops forum -- good hell, even the geniuses in athletics marketing at the U. think it's dumb.

The basics: 1996 Utah grad. Married, three kids. Living in Idaho (the SCP moniker is from my early UF.N days, when I actually did live in SoCal. Also known to torment Zoobs under the moniker of Top Ute). Been known to write a word or two about Utah football. Also pay tribute to Wichita State (2009 graduate) and Oklahoma State (wife's alma mater).

I'm hoping this site can recapture the feel of what other sites have had before they were dragged down into skull-numbing antics that were understood by only a few people. Oh, and make Mr. Crimson/Comrade Crimson/Hoyos Revenge feel welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Greetings. Nice board here. Gotta find a better name for the hoops forum -- good hell, even the geniuses in athletics marketing at the U. think it's dumb.

The basics: 1996 Utah grad. Married, three kids. Living in Idaho (the SCP moniker is from my early UF.N days, when I actually did live in SoCal. Also known to torment Zoobs under the moniker of Top Ute). Been known to write a word or two about Utah football. Also pay tribute to Wichita State (2009 graduate) and Oklahoma State (wife's alma mater).

I'm hoping this site can recapture the feel of what other sites have had before they were dragged down into skull-numbing antics that were understood by only a few people. Oh, and make Mr. Crimson/Comrade Crimson/Hoyos Revenge feel welcome.

This is GUBA checking in.