Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome!

Hey all--

I'm a Cougar fan, but I have a ton of respect for the U and its fans (even those of the drunken sailor stripe!). I know many of you from other boards. If you google my user name, you should be able to figure out who I am. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to come over here, but the new site looks good, and I'm sure UB5 is going to be an unqualified success.

I'll throw my moniker in here too. I'm a BYU fan first (just ask '71), but I attended both schools and graduated from the U in 1998. I've always kept tabs on Utah sports, first through Utefans and then through the good posters on CUF. I'm glad to see many of them here now. Good luck with your new endeavor. I hope BYU fans will be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    I'll throw my moniker in here too. I'm a BYU fan first (just ask '71), but I attended both schools and graduated from the U in 1998. I've always kept tabs on Utah sports, first through Utefans and then through the good posters on CUF. I'm glad to see many of them here now. Good luck with your new endeavor. I hope BYU fans will be welcome.
    Everyone is welcome, especially anyone who is a closeted Utah fan.

Quote Originally Posted by GUBA View Post
    This is GUBA checking in.
    Welcome GUBA, please tell us a little about yourself.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    I didn't want to have a 0 posts next to my name, so I thought this was as good as place as any to post.

Hi! I am Clark Addison. I post on Utefans as "Clark Addison" and Cougarboard as "Picklebutton". My parents went to the U so I like to keep tabs on what is going on.

Is there a way to change the default color scheme around here?
    Picklebutton. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I root for the Utes unless they're playing BYU, Tulane, or Georgia Tech (my almae matres). The recent name change and subsequent Cuffer Diaspora saddens me, as I consider yall to be my friends (even if some don't care for me), but I understand why this board exists, and I hope that the communication we formerly enjoyed doesn't wane greatly.

As an aesthetic commentary, the red border is actually kind of taxing on the eyes, causing a persistence of vision problem when you shift your gaze to a new pane. Perhaps a washed-out red for the background would be easier on the eyes. I can't be the only one who's noticed this.

Anyway, I'm a Southern, heretical convert to Mormonism, Spanish professor who loves the Atlanta Braves, Dale Murphy, food, Coca-Cola, and my chesty wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    Picklebutton. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    This actually surprised me a bit.

So who's going to compose the welcome questions?

My name is Dwight Schr-Ute. I am known on other sites by the same name. I took on this identity circa when The Office America was tolerable. Now the moniker is old and worn out. Which fits me just fine.

(Auto save?! This thing has auto save?! Best feature ever.) Anyway, I grew up down the road from Rice Stadium, graduated from Highland High and then attended Utah for a few years before finally having to finish my education at Utah State. Grew up attending football and basketball games with my dad. Was a student during the awesomeness that was mid-to-late 90's Running Ute basketball. Thanks to my dad, I've always been a fan, but started following the program much more closely after his passing 6 years ago. I also live in Las Vegas now, so maybe that's my way to stay connected to the program.

Anyway, as with the other sites, I don't have much to offer, but I'll probably chime in with a sarcastic comment or humorous anecdote from time to time. Thanks for the new site. Should be great.
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 02-19-2013 at 09:38 AM.

I sadly did not graduate from the University of Utah, but did attend for one year in 1996-97. I graduated from another school that will remain nameless. I grew up a University of Utah fan and wasn't going to abandon years of rooting for the Utes because of my school choice.

I am a resident pessimistic fan. I developed this pessimism from growing up a Ute fan in Utah during the 1980's. This pessimism was also cultivated during the disaster season of 1996.

Over the years, sports have become less a part of my life. I attend few games and consider myself more of a casual fan. It works for me and helps me have a more balanced and happy life than when my happiness lived and died with Utah football/Utah basketball.

Other loyalties are Oakland A's, Chicago Blackhawks, and the Atlanta Falcons. I'm undecided these days if I'm more of a Jazz fan or Blazers fan.

Look forward to this board developing. I'm going to do my best to put the pessimism aside and be a cautious optimist.

You love me and you've seen me and you know me. I'm Old Gregg!

Quickly, I was a graduate of the U in 97' (BS) and 99' (MS). My wife is also a graduate. I kept my moniker from my time as a emailer to the Jim Rome Show back in the day. And for those whom don't know already, I am JIC's evil twin. I will keep the inside jokes to a minimum.

USS Utah (aka Flattop) checking in. I have already started a book thread, so now I should introduce myself. I'm a bookworm living in South Davis County.

Cheering for the Utes runs in my family. My grandfather was once honored as a super fan at a basketball game. As a kid he would sneak into the field house to watch games, but don't tell anybody.

I grew up going to Utah basketball and football game. When I was very young (Jeff Judkins was a player) the Runnin' Utes won a game on my birthday. I was hooked. My interest in football came later.

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Welcome GUBA, please tell us a little about yourself.
    I graduated from the U in 2008. I currently live in Salt Lake City. I work in marketing at the moment. I look forward to reading this board.

I forgot to add that I knew that this was the one true site when the benevolent JiC elevated MLB to its appropriate standing in life by creating a separate category for baseball from all other professional sports.

Awesome board!! Ran into this board via Utefans.net. Graduated from Hillcrest High in 1996 and STILL haven't finished all of my college at the U, yet..... I'm married with three kids and am a Sergeant with a local(SL area) police dept. Love all thing Utah!!!!

War UTAH!!!!

Hey guys. Excited for the new site. I have been around the other sites known as UtahMan77. Since it is a new site I thought I would go by my nickname: Slim. One I've had for over 20 years, and what I was known as when I attended the U. Many still think my first name is Slim.

I graduated from the U in 2007 in teaching, and am currently a math teacher.

I've been a fan since the early 90's, one of my earliest Ute memories was the Rice bowl in 1988. Have had season tickets to Football since the early 90's in the SEZ, and basketball tickets as well. Many great memories.

Also a fan of the Jazz and Eagles (mainly due to Randall Cunningham and the late Reggie White).

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I root for the Utes unless they're playing BYU, Tulane, or Georgia Tech (my almae matres). The recent name change and subsequent Cuffer Diaspora saddens me, as I consider yall to be my friends (even if some don't care for me), but I understand why this board exists, and I hope that the communication we formerly enjoyed doesn't wane greatly.

As an aesthetic commentary, the red border is actually kind of taxing on the eyes, causing a persistence of vision problem when you shift your gaze to a new pane. Perhaps a washed-out red for the background would be easier on the eyes. I can't be the only one who's noticed this.

Anyway, I'm a Southern, heretical convert to Mormonism, Spanish professor who loves the Atlanta Braves, Dale Murphy, food, Coca-Cola, and my chesty wife.
    ˇBienvenido, vos!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Greetings. Nice board here. Gotta find a better name for the hoops forum -- good hell, even the geniuses in athletics marketing at the U. think it's dumb.

The basics: 1996 Utah grad. Married, three kids. Living in Idaho (the SCP moniker is from my early UF.N days, when I actually did live in SoCal. Also known to torment Zoobs under the moniker of Top Ute). Been known to write a word or two about Utah football. Also pay tribute to Wichita State (2009 graduate) and Oklahoma State (wife's alma mater).

I'm hoping this site can recapture the feel of what other sites have had before they were dragged down into skull-numbing antics that were understood by only a few people. Oh, and make Mr. Crimson/Comrade Crimson/Hoyos Revenge feel welcome.
    I was hoping you'd come. Now go and get Crimson.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Hi all. I'm looking forward to this new board. Like others I'm a vet of the various Ute and Cougar message boards.

I walked with the 2007 class, degree in International Studies and Economics. Later I graduated from Thunderbird with an International Management MBA. Now I work in Global Finance doing strategic planning, M&A and JV analysis, and global product and market planning for a heavy truck and engine manufacturer in Chicagoland.

I attended basketball games with my dad and grandpa from a young age. I'd listen to the football games on my patio or front lawn so I could hear the crowd and cannons with Marcroft's calls. I also loved hearing the drum line practices from my yard, always my favorite sign of an approaching fall. There are also memories of basketball players giving fire sides in our living room for the youth in our area.

Other particulars. I married out of my league. We've got three children and a dog. Live in the Chicago burbs. I enjoy mountain biking, downhill skiing, rock climbing, and sitting on my duff while complaining how busy I am.

Looking forward to helping this board grow.
    Last edited by Tokolosh; 02-19-2013 at 10:37 AM.

I am wally. I am known elsewhere as wally. I am a two time graduate from the U and an engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    Hey, wow. You actually did it. Cool.

I am known in other places by other names. I'm not sure I like the one I picked here yet but I've been thinking about a change anyway. I reserve the right to humbly beg JiC etc. to change my moniker if I think of something better. Maybe I'll do it across the board(s).

So, intro. The name should give away the game for those with whom I've interacted elsewhere. I am also a lawyer, I work pillaging the earth, I live in Texas. When not lawyering or pillaging, I do a lot of swimming, cycling and running. Especially running. The living in Texas thing is pretty constant.

I generally have followed Utah football (mostly) for most of my life but not always as a friend, my alma mater being what it is. Still, it remains one of my few ties to my home state, and I tend to play nice I think. I also like the founders of the board quite a bit, so there's that whole personal loyalty thing going on too.
    I'm surprised you went with Pheidippides, which is harder to spell than the more accepted possible names of the (probably legendary) runner of that first "marathon" in 490 BCE.
    According to Plutarch, the earliest source tabbed a soldier named Thersippus as the runner who returned from the battlefield to Athens with Victory on his lips as he died. Later historians named Eucles as the runner.

Pheidippides was no slouch of a runner, though, and it's a good name for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post

Welcome, Wuap! We shall continue to be great friends.
    Well done with the Latin (Just because excellence is expected doesn't mean it should go unremarked).

I hope all my friends with ties to other schools feel welcome here.

I'm RC Vikings. I'm a BSU grad that is excited to have a PAC 12 team so near.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokolosh View Post
    Hi all. I'm looking forward to this new board. Like others I'm a vet of the various Ute and Cougar message boards.

I walked with the 2007 class, degree in International Studies and Economics. Later I graduated from Thunderbird with an International Management MBA. Now I work in Global Finance doing strategic planning, M&A and JV analysis, and global product and market planning for a heavy truck and engine manufacturer in Chicagoland.

I attended basketball games with my dad and grandpa from a young age. I'd listen to the football games on my patio or front lawn so I could hear the crowd and cannons with Marcroft's calls. I also loved hearing the drum line practices from my yard, always my favorite sign of an approaching fall. There are also memories of basketball players giving fire sides in our living room for the youth in our area.

Other particulars. I married out of my league. We've got three children and a dog. Live in the Chicago burbs. I enjoy mountain biking, downhill skiing, rock climbing, and sitting on my duff while complaining how busy I am.

Looking forward to helping this board grow.
    Glad to see you here. It's been a while!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I wasn't sure where to post this, and I read that someone had a similar suggestion somewhere else, but I don't have time to find it (sorry), but I think having the background be white with red trim would look really, really nice. Clean, professional, inviting.

Otherwise, I have been dreaming of this site for years. Pumped to be here!

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I'm surprised you went with Pheidippides, which is harder to spell than the more accepted possible names of the (probably legendary) runner of that first "marathon" in 490 BCE.
    According to Plutarch, the earliest source tabbed a soldier named Thersippus as the runner who returned from the battlefield to Athens with Victory on his lips as he died. Later historians named Eucles as the runner.

Pheidippides was no slouch of a runner, though, and it's a good name for you.
    I figured since it's (as you say) probably legendary, I may as well pick the nasty spelling. Plus I had no desire to be called Philip or Phil for short. And any incarnation seemed to be less pretentious than Pre. But you know way more than all of that than I do - the only place I may have a chance of beating you is in the actual race.

Excellent. Just what I need. One more web site to waste time on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    I figured since it's (as you say) probably legendary, I may as well pick the nasty spelling. Plus I had no desire to be called Philip or Phil for short. And any incarnation seemed to be less pretentious than Pre. But you know way more than all of that than I do - the only place I may have a chance of beating you is in the actual race.
    For the record, my kids love to watch that show Pheidippides and Ferb.

I will say this. If this place devolves into a litany of dickish posts and never ending smart-ass comments I don't think I will stick around. So far so good though. I am happy to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Excellent. Just what I need. One more web site to waste time on.
    It offers relaxation from your taxing mental tasks and will improve performance.

--Yeats