Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Welcome. I needed someone here who's older than me. And there's no need to be rude about that "distant second" thing. You were doing so well until that point!
    Thanks for the welcome and you are welcome for making you feel young. I wasn't trying to be rude, just trying to prevent any future offending comments. Guess we don't have to worry about that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I'm here.
    So I guess we're doing the bio thing. Most of you probably already know me from other forums as I use the same username on each one (or @UBlender44 on twitter--I guess there's another UBlender out there so I had to add the KVH tribute to my handle). I have been on ufn for a long time but now I just generally stop by once a day and scroll through the smartassery to see if there is anything interesting--don't post too much over there anymore, more active on twitter and utezone lately.

BS and MAcc from the David Eccles School of Business ('05 and '06, respectively). I was able to experience the Muss (note, this is not an acronym!) in basketball during the awesomeness of the late '90s (even though it wasn't called the Muss then) and the fantastic Urban Meyer era in football.

I'm now Manager of Internal Audit for a financial institution, following a few years of public accounting and a stint with a large bank.

I was once told by someone on another forum that I am a minutiae guy, so I will probably post some geeky stuff about the Utes every now and then. I will also post some baseball (Cubs!), some NBA (Jazz???) and some indie music (so Redbird and Daniel LaRusso and I can compete with the hockey thread for thread with fewest users).

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Now get my other brother-in-law to sign up.
    He'll be here, but he'll probably play hard-to-get for a spell. He's kind of a diva like that....

Quote Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and you are welcome for making you feel young. I wasn't trying to be rude, just trying to prevent any future offending comments. Guess we don't have to worry about that anymore.
    Since many people here may not be well-acquainted with the way '71 and I often interact, I was kidding here and '71 is super-welcome. He wasn't rude, either.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by GUBA View Post
    I will say this. If this place devolves into a litany of dickish posts and never ending smart-ass comments I don't think I will stick around. So far so good though. I am happy to be here.
    Is this a good place to recommend putting it in a bowl of rice? Is that still funny? Was it ever funny?

Is this a good place to recommend putting it in a bowl of rice? Is that still funny? Was it ever funny?
    Magic 8 ball says: No (to all 3)
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Since many people here may not be well-acquainted with the way '71 and I often interact, I was kidding here and '71 is super-welcome. He wasn't rude, either.
    And for those that don't know, I knew it was a friendly jab and didn't hurt for very long.

We may need to put in a filter for the phrase "bowl of rice."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Another introduction

Hello all. I'm more of a lurker on the other boards, so you won't find many posts. Figured a new board was a good place to make my presence a bit more known. A little about me. I attended the U from 2002-03, didn't graduate. Put my schooling on hold to start a family and career. It was the right choice, but I do hope to finish some day and get that piece of paper. I'm in the software industry, worked on both sides of the wall - operations and development. Currently I'm in development, as a software architect and thoroughly enjoying it.

Like many of you, I grew up in a family of mixed allegiance, to BYU, UU and even a little USU sprinkled in. I was a Y fan growing up, but when I became a man, I put away childish things, learned the error of my ways and thus began my Ute fandom. I guess I should be embarrassed by that, but many of us are sort of raised to cheer for the teams that their parents like so it wasn't until I started thinking for myself that I really decided where I wanted to place my support. I'm mostly a football fan, but I've been trying to get into basketball a little bit lately. I never did play football in any official capacity, so everything I know about the sport has come from watching and reading. I'm always interested to hear insights from those who did play. I have 4 young daughters, and they are getting into gymnastics so maybe I'll get interested in that sport as well as they get older. Who knows maybe they can get good and compete for the Red Rocks some day, a father can always hope.

That's about it for now. GO UTES!

Is that a Utefans.net thing? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy in SLC View Post
    Hey Sgt, where are your seats? Your view of the press box looks similar to mine. We are W10, Row 17.

W10 Row 30. First row above the portal.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtUte View Post
    W10 Row 30. First row above the portal.
    Awesome. I'll have to stop by and say "Hi" sometime this fall.
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy in SLC View Post
    Smitty, don't let him give you grief about the Bo Sox. I can show you pictures of his Roger Clemens baseball card collection.

Attachment 109
    I strongly believe that it should be a written rule of this website that every Red Sox fan should be given grief.

I was once told by someone on another forum that I am a minutiae guy, so I will probably post some geeky stuff about the Utes every now and then. I will also post some baseball (Cubs!), some NBA (Jazz???) and some indie music (so Redbird and Daniel LaRusso and I can compete with the hockey thread for thread with fewest users).
    Wait, wait, wait....someone actually noticed that I put music on the other board?!

Also, I refuse to introduce myself.

Hi everybody!
    30107_120423671317567_2026786_a.jpg

I have been a sparse contributor but voracious consumer of other Ute related message boards. Been a Ute fan all my life, since listening to games in the 70's with my dad (wild Bill Marcroft on KALL 700), and attending games. My dad worked for the athletic department part time, so as kids, we would show up to games 2-3 hours early and play catch on the rock-hard astroturf, and then move to the grass at the south side of Rice Stadium once the team came out for warmups.

I like all sports, but haven't developed any fierce loyalties to any team other than the Utes. And I find as I grow older, i am more pragmatic with my fandom, not letting the wins and losses affect me as much as they did when I was younger. I am trying to find more enjoyment out of the escape from life's worries that sports can provide.

I live in SoDaCo (south Davis County). I work for a large bank in middle management. It sounds like it sucks, but i enjoy what I do and the people I work with, and it pays the bills. At 40, I have found an enjoyable way to be an empty nester with my wife of 16 years. I married into an instant family, my step kids are grown, and we have 5 grandkids.

I look forward to great conversations and perspectives on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Hi everybody!

I have been a sparse contributor but voracious consumer of other Ute related message boards. Been a Ute fan all my life, since listening to games in the 70's with my dad (wild Bill Marcroft on KALL 700), and attending games. My dad worked for the athletic department part time, so as kids, we would show up to games 2-3 hours early and play catch on the rock-hard astroturf, and then move to the grass at the south side of Rice Stadium once the team came out for warmups.

I like all sports, but haven't developed any fierce loyalties to any team other than the Utes. And I find as I grow older, i am more pragmatic with my fandom, not letting the wins and losses affect me as much as they did when I was younger. I am trying to find more enjoyment out of the escape from life's worries that sports can provide.

I live in SoDaCo (south Davis County). I work for a large bank in middle management. It sounds like it sucks, but i enjoy what I do and the people I work with, and it pays the bills. At 40, I have found an enjoyable way to be an empty nester with my wife of 16 years. I married into an instant family, my step kids are grown, and we have 5 grandkids.

How do you say your handle?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    How do you say your handle?
    Just call me Chris.

Hi everybody!

Wow I think I might know you. You go to Olympus? If Not welcome always

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I'm Z, I currently work for the USAF at Hill AFB and next month will hit my 14th year of service to Mother Air Force.

I have 2 great kids, and am entering my 12th season as a season ticket holder in the North End Zone.
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Great to find another Ute oriented site, you guys have done a great job, love the format.

I'm more of a lurker that occasionally chimes in with weak attempts at sarcasm. Converted Ute fan since '91, went to the U for 3 years, never graduated. My biggest interest are Ute football, basketball and baseball. Season ticket holder in football and basketball and try to get to as many baseball games as I can.

Thanks for putting this site together and Go Utes!

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Wow I think I might know you. You go to Olympus? If Not welcome always

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    No, I went to Viewmont, where Alex Smith went (in case anyone was going to disparage Viewmont, Senioritis).

Hi, my name is DU Ute. You might remember me from such message board escapades as CougarUteForum.com: What the Hell Were We Thinking? and Utefans.net: The Slow March Into the Abyss.

No, I went to Helix, where Alex Smith went (in case anyone was going to disparage Viewmont, Senioritis).
    Fixed that for ya.

Smile Introduction

I am 19 and currently in my second year at the U where I have been undeclared until now. I will be a mechanical engineering major this Fall and I probably won't graduate for at least three more years. I am a member of the Utah drumline, so I go to almost all of the football games (nine of twelve last season).

I have been a lurker on utefans.net for some time but I never created an account. I'm so glad that there is now a Utah fan forum that doesn't use an outdated layout. I even found myself reading USU fans almost as much as utefans because of the far superior layout and accessibility. I do have an account on BlockU (ObviouslyUnaffiliatedFan) and on ESPN.com (UteDrummer8893). I chose the name "Hadrian" because he's my favorite Roman emperor and he was an all around interesting chap.

I was born in Bryan/College Station, TX so my second favorite team is Texas A&M. I'm not really interested in pro sports, aside from wanting to see former Utes succeed.

Y grad who has considered this board's founders his friends for several years now. Hope it's ok if I drop in now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by DU Ute View Post
    Hi, my name is DU Ute. You might remember me from such message board escapades as CougarUteForum.com: What the Hell Were We Thinking? and Utefans.net: The Slow March Into the Abyss.
    Attached Images Attached Images

--Yeats

Hi all,

Congratulations on the new site. I love the format and look forward to the extended discussions this type of format produces.

I didn't attend the "U", but have paid enough tuition for my children that I think I qualify anyway. We've had season football tickets since 1989 and also have season gymnastics tickets.

It would appear that I may have distinguished myself as the very first female signee. I can already tell that you gentlemen won't hold that against me.

I wish you great success and Go Utes!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Y grad who has considered this board's founders his friends for several years now. Hope it's ok if I drop in now and then.
    The consensus prediction around here is that you will be a well-behaved poster. Don't make us look bad.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by DU Ute View Post
    Are you bringing your brother with you?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

My name is SoonerCoug. I would prefer a softer red or maroon. This particular red is hard on the eyes.