Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 214

Thread: Welcome!

  1. #121

    Permission to Come Aboard?

    I've enjoyed the company of many here, and I would hate to see it end.

    Is my coug centric name welcome here?

  2. #122
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,032
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    Fixed that for ya.
    He meant Alex Jensen, not Alex Smith.

  3. #123
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,939
    Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    I've enjoyed the company of many here, and I would hate to see it end.

    Is my coug centric name welcome here?
    Welcome! Housebroken Cougar fans are all welcome here. Others will be sent to the doghouse.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    He meant Alex Jensen, not Alex Smith.
    Yep, my mistake.

  5. #125
    These are some well-written introductions. I feel like a slouch.

  6. #126
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    These are some well-written introductions. I feel like a slouch.
    Nah. We're happy you are here.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  7. #127
    Hello all. Been a long time UF.N guy, 10 years. Those who know me know I'm a huge stats guy, I like to bring a numerical look at how the teams fare and consistencies or otherwise.

    I've been a football season ticket holder for ten years as well. North 25 represent! Basketball and gymnastics regular, occasional volleyball, softball, baseball....etc...

    Huge Alan Parsons fan, I dare you to say you're a bigger fan. I'll try to bring what I can to this board in my own way.

    Go Utes

  8. #128
    Educating Cyrus wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Others will be sent to the doghouse.
    The cathouse would be more apropos. And fun.

  9. #129
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,939
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill View Post
    Hello all. Been a long time UF.N guy, 10 years. Those who know me know I'm a huge stats guy, I like to bring a numerical look at how the teams fare and consistencies or otherwise.

    I've been a football season ticket holder for ten years as well. North 25 represent! Basketball and gymnastics regular, occasional volleyball, softball, baseball....etc...

    Huge Alan Parsons fan, I dare you to say you're a bigger fan. I'll try to bring what I can to this board in my own way.

    Go Utes
    Wow! The great new members keep rolling on in. Welcome!

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  10. #130
    Hi all, website looks great, nice job. I grew up just south of the U going to games with my old man, East High grad, graduated from the U in '02 and went back east for law school. Work at a firm in Newport Beach now, and it kills me to only get to a couple of games a year.

    I'm also the more attractive, smarter, better smelling, and funnier younger brother of DU Ute. It's kind of like the movie Twins, only I showed up 16 months later.

  11. #131
    I don't post much anymore now that I don't have a desk job, but I figured I would sign up even if I mostly lurk. I've been mostly known as ewth8t on the other boards, but decided to go with my other message board handle here.

    I'm a life long cougar fan, my Dad started taking me to football games when I was 6 and haven't missed a home game since. When I was 8, I tried cheering for Utah when they weren't playing BYU, but then the following week Scott Mitchell and the Utes killed us, so to be safe, I have rooted against them in every game since.

  12. #132
    Hello, I'm Virginia Ute, same one from UF.net or CB. I really shouldn't have found another message board that I have to check, but here I am . A lot of familiar posters on here are ones that I've liked from other boards....

    I was raised a BYU fan by my dad, but converted to Utah along with 2 of my brothers, in high school. I am a Weber grad, and I am currently in grad school in VA.

    Thanks for havin me!

  13. #133
    Always good to have Virginians around. Welcome!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  14. #134
    I grew up in SLC in the Sugarhouse area and then later in the Skyline area, graduating from Skyline in 1975. Graduated from the U in 1982 and from law school at BYU in 85. Practiced law in San Diego for a few years and then with a couple of different SLC firms. No longer practice law. My wife and 3 of my 4 kids also graduated from the U. My youngest is the biggest U fan of them all, but attends USU. Have some great and not so great memories of Utah athletic events over the years. The best undoubtedly have to be the Final Four, Fiesta Bowl and Sugar Bowl. All were great fun to be a part of. The worst, a road trip to Laramie in the snow coupled with a loss as well as numerous butt kickings by BYU in the 70's and 80's.

  15. #135
    I've been a Utah fan for as long as I remember. My dad played for Jack Gardner in the 60's; A younger brother played as a walk-on for Majerus; My BIL played for Coach Mac. I finished undergrad at the U in '94, grad school in '98 and after a few years on the east coast returned to Salt Lake for work. I get to as many games as work allows and my wife keeps involved with the museum of natural history and KUED.

  16. #136
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,939
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I grew up in SLC in the Sugarhouse area and then later in the Skyline area, graduating from Skyline in 1975. Graduated from the U in 1982 and from law school at BYU in 85. Practiced law in San Diego for a few years and then with a couple of different SLC firms. No longer practice law. My wife and 3 of my 4 kids also graduated from the U. My youngest is the biggest U fan of them all, but attends USU. Have some great and not so great memories of Utah athletic events over the years. The best undoubtedly have to be the Final Four, Fiesta Bowl and Sugar Bowl. All were great fun to be a part of. The worst, a road trip to Laramie in the snow coupled with a loss as well as numerous butt kickings by BYU in the 70's and 80's.
    Welcome. For those who don't know, UTEopia was one of the early fixtures and wise men on UF.net. In addition to being a scarily knowledgeable football fan, he shares with me the distinction of having known, in his youth, the great Moroni Schwab -- a name known only to a highly-favored few.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  17. #137
    Coming over from Utefans also. Feel like I'm cheating on my significant other a bit, but I figure I can split my time between both places. Chris does a great job over there, and it looks like you guys have started things off right over here. Anyway, thanks for the site, and I look forward to mixing it up with you all.

    Oh, BTW, I've always hated the name 480ute, but I figured I'd keep it since there are so many uf.n guys over here. Just an FYI.
    Last edited by 480ute; 02-19-2013 at 10:57 PM.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Hi all, website looks great, nice job. I grew up just south of the U going to games with my old man, East High grad, graduated from the U in '02 and went back east for law school. Work at a firm in Newport Beach now, and it kills me to only get to a couple of games a year.

    I'm also the more attractive, smarter, better smelling, and funnier younger brother of DU Ute. It's kind of like the movie Twins, only I showed up 16 months later.
    You aren't funnier than me. I just checked utefans, and we have roughly the same number of archived posts and messages, but one of us has almost 4 times the posts as the other. You are Pete Rose to my Ty Cobb.
    Last edited by DU Ute; 02-19-2013 at 11:24 PM.

  19. #139
    Nice job with the site, Jarid. Impressive and a bunch of members -- off to a great start with some good people here.

    I'm obviously a BYU fan -- not sure I'll post much but I'll probably lurk a little. Good luck with the site!

  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Nice job with the site, Jarid. Impressive and a bunch of members -- off to a great start with some good people here.

    I'm obviously a BYU fan -- not sure I'll post much but I'll probably lurk a little. Good luck with the site!

    Thanks Cardiac.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

  21. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by DU Ute View Post
    You aren't funnier than me. I just checked utefans, and we have roughly the same number of archived posts and messages, but one of us has almost 4 times the posts as the other. You are Pete Rose to my Ty Cobb.
    You just crossed a big line. No one compares me to the most overrated player in the history of baseball. Especially not someone who had a bash brothers poster (and not the forearm shiver one, the one with them on the hood of a car in suits at home plate) and who openly admired Mark McGwire's perm. How'd that work out for ya?

    bash_brothers.jpg

  22. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mormon Mecca (North)
    Posts
    1,138
    Nice work in getting this place set-up. Looks great, love the red.

  23. #143
    Hi guys. I am primarily making sure one of my brothers or friends doesn't grab Viking and make an ass out of me (something I'm perfectly capable of doing myself), and since my virtual suicide on whatever the other board is now called (which also seems to be committing virtual suicide, just more slowly), I can't be expected to be active here.

    I have no connection to Utah other than my family name, Kingsbury (yes, that guy was my great g-pa).

    Good luck.

  24. #144
    checking in. I graduated from the U in 1989 and after living in California, Texas, and Oregon moved back to SLC where I can enjoy viewing the Utes in person. I am raising 3 future Utes.

  25. #145
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,003
    Quote Originally Posted by big z View Post
    I'm Z, I currently work for the USAF at Hill AFB and next month will hit my 14th year of service to Mother Air Force.

    I have 2 great kids, and am entering my 12th season as a season ticket holder in the North End Zone.
    My brother (The Thrill) and I enjoyed was fun meeting you at the game sunday! Talk about random occurances in the universe!

    Where are your tickets at? We are all in N25 row 15. We sit just a ways down from GarthUte, but don't hold that against him. He's a good guy!

    I hope you stick around!

    U-Ute
    Last edited by U-Ute; 02-20-2013 at 09:02 AM.

  26. #146
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,003
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill View Post
    Hello all. Been a long time UF.N guy, 10 years. Those who know me know I'm a huge stats guy, I like to bring a numerical look at how the teams fare and consistencies or otherwise.

    I've been a football season ticket holder for ten years as well. North 25 represent! Basketball and gymnastics regular, occasional volleyball, softball, baseball....etc...

    Huge Alan Parsons fan, I dare you to say you're a bigger fan. I'll try to bring what I can to this board in my own way.

    Go Utes
    Don't make me come over there.

    You need to give us an efficiency stats for the team this year. I'm guessing Loveridge is at the top. The quiet assassin.

  27. #147
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Hi guys. I am primarily making sure one of my brothers or friends doesn't grab Viking and make an ass out of me (something I'm perfectly capable of doing myself), and since my virtual suicide on whatever the other board is now called (which also seems to be committing virtual suicide, just more slowly), I can't be expected to be active here.

    I have no connection to Utah other than my family name, Kingsbury (yes, that guy was my great g-pa).

    Good luck.
    He sounds like he was a great guy.

  28. #148
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,003
    Since I have 3 posts in a row, I thought I'd swing for the fences and make it 4...

    I've always posted as U-Ute. The name came about when I signed up on YOhio's board (mid 90s? It's all a blur now) because our season basketball tickets were in section UU at the time. Lame, but I'm not very good at naming things. I let my wife name the 4 kids, which was definitely the right thing to do. Otherwise they'd probably be named things like Vector or Cache. But I digress...

    I briefly ran the board when YOhio's board suddenly disappeared in '97, and then when my ISP went under, Webmonkey offered to take it over. The rest, as they say, is history...

    I graduated from the U in 93 in Computer Science. Married a beautiful girl who was more adept at naming things the same year. She graduated from the U a few years later and proceeded to, among other useful things, name our progeny. I am a computer programmer that has been in the field of video games for a little over 15 years now. It was a great cover story to keep playing them ("But honey, competitive research!") before I had kids ("But honey, quality time with the kids!").

    Old man moment: Before the web came around in the early 90's there was Usenet. I used to be one of the few lone few voices on rec.sports.basketball.college and rec.sports.football.college that would talk about Utah sports. I believe Comrade Crimson and Diehard Ute were the only other ones out there at the time. My how we've grown! Now get off my lawn!

    Now that I read this, I've spent too much time scribing and lamenting about Utah sports over the years. So I'm not sure whether to thank Jarid for giving us an outstanding forum, or to curse him for being such an enabler to my addiction.
    Last edited by U-Ute; 02-20-2013 at 09:26 AM.

  29. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by DU Ute View Post
    You aren't funnier than me. I just checked utefans, and we have roughly the same number of archived posts and messages, but one of us has almost 4 times the posts as the other. You are Pete Rose to my Ty Cobb.
    P.S. Thanks for conceding more attractive, better smelling, and smarter.

  30. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy in SLC View Post
    Smitty, don't let him give you grief about the Bo Sox. I can show you pictures of his Roger Clemens baseball card collection.

    Attachment 109
    The Red Sox died that fateful day in 1997. DIED! Forever to be known as the Dead Sox.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •