Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    The Red Sox died that fateful day in 1997. DIED! Forever to be known as the Dead Sox.
    Our PED users were better than your PED users
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

I graduated from the U in 2005 in marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by SavaUte View Post
    Needs more Muave. And cow bells. Chicks dig cow bells.

I am SoCalCoug. It has nothing to do with BYU. I'm a 40-something single woman looking for young, virile guys.

Okay, not really. I went to BYU for 8 years (including a wasted pre-mission freshman year and law school) and am related (through my wife) to the BYU linebacker who beat the crap out of the Ute fan in the stands back in the 90's. But my wife is a Ute, and my family has long been friends with the Whittinghams (lived across the street from them in the 70's - I have a couple of good stories about them), so it's hard to utterlly despise the U.

I'm here because I have enjoyed the interaction with the guys who started this site over on CUF, and I was not at all happy when they changed the name. If that change means I have to hang out on another site (even with all this awful red), then so be it.

Just as I hope CUF (I refuse to use the new name) doesn't turn into another Cougarboard (that's my main issue with the new name), I hope this site can be more like the old CUF. I think we get too caught up in the sports rivalry and forget that regardless of our school affiliation, due to either location (ties to Utah) or religion, we have a lot in common.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
    I am SoCalCoug. It has nothing to do with BYU. I'm a 40-something single woman looking for young, virile guys.

Okay, not really. I went to BYU for 8 years (including a wasted pre-mission freshman year and law school) and am related (through my wife) to the BYU linebacker who beat the crap out of the Ute fan in the stands back in the 90's. But my wife is a Ute, and my family has long been friends with the Whittinghams (lived across the street from them in the 70's - I have a couple of good stories about them), so it's hard to utterlly despise the U.

I'm here because I have enjoyed the interaction with the guys who started this site over on CUF, and I was not at all happy when they changed the name. If that change means I have to hang out on another site (even with all this awful red), then so be it.

Just as I hope CUF (I refuse to use the new name) doesn't turn into another Cougarboard (that's my main issue with the new name), I hope this site can be more like the old CUF. I think we get too caught up in the sports rivalry and forget that regardless of our school affiliation, due to either location (ties to Utah) or religion, we have a lot in common.
    You had me at Whittingham...

Welcome! I hope you stick around then since I think you'd be a great step in helping us to foster that kind of environment.

I like this place, it is neat. It feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by SavaUte View Post
    Welcome SavaUte.

Question: Is Trans Siberian Orchestra a positive evolution of, or a damaging regression of, Savatage? (I am a big fan of the Oliva brothers and Al Pitrelli).

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Welcome SavaUte.

Question: Is Trans Siberian Orchestra a positive evolution of, or a damaging regression of, Savatage? (I am a big fan of the Oliva brothers and Al Pitrelli).
    I think it ended up being the natural evolution of Savatage listening to Dead Winter Dead, Wake of Magellan, even Edge of Thorns started to show it. I take and love TSO simply because its the closest I can come to seeing Savatage live these days. Sadly, you'll never hear Power of the Night at a TSO show

i unfortunately have not had the pleasure of attending the fine university of utah. i however did grow up in west valley and have attended utah sports since i was 5 years old. i have had season tickets to football for 8 years but unfortunately am not able to keep them anymore. as i got a promotion at work and won't have the time for it (head football coach at the high school i work at).

i am excited about a ute site where we can talk utah and hope the snobishness stays away at utefans. loving the web layout.

GO UTES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    You just crossed a big line. No one compares me to the most overrated player in the history of baseball. Especially not someone who had a bash brothers poster (and not the forearm shiver one, the one with them on the hood of a car in suits at home plate) and who openly admired Mark McGwire's perm. How'd that work out for ya?

Attachment 115
    It's really too bad they never made a cool, iconic movie themed poster of Andres Thomas and Glen Hubbard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    P.S. Thanks for conceding more attractive, better smelling, and smarter.
    I didn't feel like I had to. No one really believes anything you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyute View Post
    i am excited about a ute site where we can talk utah and hope the snobishness stays away at utefans. loving the web layout.

GO UTES!!!!
    Interesting. I never thought of UFN as snobbish...more the Cousin Eddie of Ute fandom.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    My brother (The Thrill) and I enjoyed was fun meeting you at the game sunday! Talk about random occurances in the universe!

Where are your tickets at? We are all in N25 row 15. We sit just a ways down from GarthUte, but don't hold that against him. He's a good guy!

I hope you stick around!

U-Ute

Im over in N23, Row 2
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    Interesting. I never thought of UFN as snobbish...more the Cousin Eddie of Ute fandom.
    I've always thought of it more like the reddit of Ute fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by 480ute View Post
    I've always thought of it more like the reddit of Ute fandom.
    Reddit is the perfect analogy. Sometimes I'm in the mood for reddit. But after lots of years using vBulletin, I also like having a new thought or something new happening and thinking "didn't we talk about that a couple months ago..., " searching for the old thread and bumping it. That is pretty nice .

That is a very slick avatar by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post

This site needs more bigfoot.

Hello all, thanks for naming this board after me. I have been lurking behind the moniker "utahby5" on UF.N for many years and dabbling with lurking at CUF. As has been documented in another thread I got my moniker from Barberi and his catch phrase of the 1980s. I live in Layton but grew up in Salt Lake (Olympus HS). For you genealogy buffs, I'm related to Mormon Red Death and ummm, tooblue (blacksheep BYU fan of the family) but only by marriage. My in-laws mustered up all the good looking genes and had one daughter. You all can be the judge of their sons. Here's to the success of this new board.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    Hello all. I graduated from the U in 2000 with a degree in political science. Since then I have moved back to the DC area, where I am from, and have a law practice that straddles Northern and Central Virginia. I am an avid fan of the Utes, especially football, and also rabidly root for all of the DC professional sports franchises.

I love to talk sports, politics and religion and have done a little of each on the podcast I co-founded along with DC Ute and others at www.mormonexpositor.com.

Go Utes!!!!
    I will be moving to DC in June. Looking forward to meeting some of the other Utes in the area!

Welcome UB5! We have a very strong contingent here from Oly.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    Reddit is the perfect analogy. Sometimes I'm in the mood for reddit. But after lots of years using vBulletin, I also like having a new thought or something new happening and thinking "didn't we talk about that a couple months ago..., " searching for the old thread and bumping it. That is pretty nice .

That is a very slick avatar by the way.
    Yeah, totally didn't mean that in a negative way. I love me some utefans, but it will be nice to have an alternative outlet when my mood calls for it. Oh, and thanks for the avatar comment, but I just stole that off google images.

Quote Originally Posted by 480ute View Post
    Yeah, totally didn't mean that in a negative way. I love me some utefans, but it will be nice to have an alternative outlet when my mood calls for it. Oh, and thanks for the avatar comment, but I just stole that off google images.
    Where do you think most of us get ours?
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by utebehindenemylines View Post
    I will be moving to DC in June. Looking forward to meeting some of the other Utes in the area!
    My wife and I love getting together with folks we know from the message boards. Drop us a line when you arrive.

Well, if you're a nerd with photoshop, like me, you could make your own, which I have in the past.

Thought I'd stop by and drop off a housewarming gift (you might want to open a window after I leave). The site looks fine and I have immense respect for its founders. I was a regular on Utefans a decade ago, and while I bemoan the fact that HodSanders and a few others from that era won't be here, this has potential to be as good or better than that site in its prime. Urban Meyer's success resulted in a kind of Mariel Boatlift influx of frontrunners and trashtalkers with little respect for a nicely turned phrase, substituting puerile quips for witty repartee. That said, one trash talker I really miss is BloodSimplex. I'd welcome a greatest hits from that guy's archive. We should all go shirtless in his honor at the next joint activity (which I expect we'll have).

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Thought I'd stop by and drop off a housewarming gift (you might want to open a window after I leave). The site looks fine and I have immense respect for its founders. I was a regular on Utefans a decade ago, and while I bemoan the fact that HodSanders and a few others from that era won't be here, this has potential to be as good or better than that site in its prime. Urban Meyer's success resulted in a kind of Mariel Boatlift influx of frontrunners and trashtalkers with little respect for a nicely turned phrase, substituting puerile quips for witty repartee. That said, one trash talker I really miss is BloodSimplex. I'd welcome a greatest hits from that guy's archive. We should all go shirtless in his honor at the next joint activity (which I expect we'll have).
    Thanks for dropping by PAC. I suspect a golf tourney may be in order.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Expat checking in. Used to read everything at UFN, but haven't been a regular there for years. Hoping to stay more connected.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Welcome UB5! We have a very strong contingent here from Oly.
    1987 in the house. Oly Oly O!

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Expat checking in. Used to read everything at UFN, but haven't been a regular there for years. Hoping to stay more connected.
    Welcome. I hope you find the board to your liking.
    André Gide

What? You didn't do yours in MSPaint like me?

Last edited by LA Ute; 02-20-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Jarid! This guy talks funny! Can we ban him?

J/K. Love your posts from the very beginning. I agree that BloodSimplex and Hod Sanders need some sort of internet shrine in their honor.

Quote Originally Posted by utahby5 View Post
    Hello all, thanks for naming this board after me. I have been lurking behind the moniker "utahby5" on UF.N for many years and dabbling with lurking at CUF. As has been documented in another thread I got my moniker from Barberi and his catch phrase of the 1980s. I live in Layton but grew up in Salt Lake (Olympus HS). For you genealogy buffs, I'm related to Mormon Red Death and ummm, tooblue (blacksheep BYU fan of the family) but only by marriage. My in-laws mustered up all the good looking genes and had one daughter. You all can be the judge of their sons. Here's to the success of this new board.
    There goes the neighborhood.