Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Welcome!

Just thought I'd peek my head in and say howdy. I've been poking around the forum for a couple of days, and think you guys have done a nice job with the initial set-up, congrats!

A bit about me...I did not attend Utah, my ties to the school are through my 3 kids...all are Ute grads. My oldest daughter was a swimmer, and my son worked in the athletic department for a few years after he graduated. I moved to Utah from Wisconsin roughly 25 years ago, and started going to football and basketball games, and adopted Utah as my team.

I've been a viewer over at ufn for a long time, and an occasional poster the last few years. I recognize many names on the members list, but see a lot of names I've never heard of...look forward to sitting back and observing for a while and seeing how things work out.

I think the Ute fanbase is diverse and probably somewhat quirky to people looking in from the outside. I hope the forum overlords intend to run the site as a big tent, and have a light touch on the moderation (at least when possible). Good luck and thanks for creating another Ute landing spot!
    Last edited by 3UteDad; 02-20-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Just thought I'd drop by to see what's going on. Congrats on the new board Jarid! Everything looks nice on my phone at least. I'll stick my head in here every once in a while just because.

Quote Originally Posted by 3UteDad View Post
    Just thought I'd peek my head in and say howdy. I've been poking around the forum for a couple of days, and think you guys have done a nice job with the initial set-up, congrats!

A bit about me...I did not attend Utah, my ties to the school are through my 3 kids...all are Ute grads. My oldest daughter was a swimmer, and my son worked in the athletic department for a few years after he graduated. I moved to Utah from Wisconsin roughly 25 years ago, and started going to football and basketball games, and adopted Utah as my team.

I've been a viewer over at ufn for a long time, and an occasional poster the last few years. I recognize many names on the members list, but see a lot of names I've never heard of...look forward to sitting back and observing for a while and seeing how things work out.

I think the Ute fanbase is diverse and probably somewhat quirky to people looking in from the outside. I hope the forum overlords intend to run the site as a big tent, and have a light touch on the moderation (at least when possible). Good luck and thanks for creating another Ute landing spot!
    I recognize you from UF.net. Welcome. We do plan big tent. To us, there are only two kinds of poster: Those who treat other with decency, and those who do not. The former will always be welcome here!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by 3UteDad View Post

Welcome 3utedad. This was a fantastic introduction
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk tank View Post
    Just thought I'd drop by to see what's going on. Congrats on the new board Jarid! Everything looks nice on my phone at least. I'll stick my head in here every once in a while just because.
    Thanks DT. Feel free to bring by some of your barbecueing mastery anytime you wish.
    Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 02-20-2013 at 05:48 PM.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    1987 in the house. Oly Oly O!
    My blood runs green. 1998 here.

BioUte here. I graduated from the U in Biology (hence the BioUte). My wife and I met at the U, she graduated in Business. She was also my inside source into the athletic department, as she worked there while in school.

I mainly lurk, but have been a part of various ute forums (espn/utefans/utezone etc) since my freshman year at the U in 1999.

I'm a dentist and I am currently attached to a light infantry brigade in the 3rd ID (my avatar). I'll actually be heading out to the Hindu Kush next week, so I'll be relying on this forum to feed my Ute sports addiction for the next 9 months.

Thanks for setting up the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by BioUte View Post
    BioUte here. I graduated from the U in Biology (hence the BioUte). My wife and I met at the U, she graduated in Business. She was also my inside source into the athletic department, as she worked there while in school.

I mainly lurk, but have been a part of various ute forums (espn/utefans/utezone etc) since my freshman year at the U in 1999.

I'm a dentist and I am currently attached to a light infantry brigade in the 3rd ID (my avatar). I'll actually be heading out to the Hindu Kush next week, so I'll be relying on this forum to feed my Ute sports addiction for the next 9 months.

Welcome and good luck out there!
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Thanks DT. Feel free to bring by some of your barbecueing mastery anytime you wish.
    Amen.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by BioUte View Post

Good Luck and thank you for your service to our country.
    André Gide

BioUte, you should change your handle to "Captain Cavity" or "General Nitrous"

I have an attorney who became a brigadier gen in the army reserves. He tells me the advantages of being a practitioner while staying in the reserves are awesome

Good luck and thank you, BioUte. Good to see you here.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I have been a lurker at several boards mainly CUF, but thought I would give this a shot. I grew up in the valley as a diehard Utah fan. I went to USU for my undergrad '09 and Northern Illinois for my master's in accounting '10, but I will always be a Ute first.
    I look forward to the board. So far it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by dfb32 View Post
    I have been a lurker at several boards mainly CUF, but thought I would give this a shot. I grew up in the valley as a diehard Utah fan. I went to USU for my undergrad '09 and Northern Illinois for my master's in accounting '10, but I will always be a Ute first.
    I look forward to the board. So far it looks great.
    Welcome! We hope you are able to shed your lurker status with us!

Hello,

As some above have stated, I also am a long time lurker at Ufn but can stand the layout so I don't post. I graduated from the U in 2006 with a BS in Finance, and spent last season in the NEZ. I LOVE Utah football am looking forward to another exciting season. I like the layout on this board and hope to contribute more often.

thank you for setting up this site!

Guess I can add my intro. I used to post on sites quite a bit over the years at utefans, utezone and scout and loved to post practice reports until I moved to Nebraska for law school.

I've been back in Utah since 2009 and am taking over my father's law practice this year so if I can swing it I will check out once in a while to post some practice reports here.

I have four boys (oldest is 7) and am proud to say that all of them are currently wearing some sort of Ute attire as they are sitting with me on the sofa right now.
    Thanks to the creators of this new forum as I am already enjoying it quite a bit.

Couple of welcomes. Scorcho, glad you found us. I was starting to wonder if you would make it over.

Ute Dawg, glad you hear that you are back. I remember your practice reports, and look forward to seeing them again.

Smileyguy1, welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy your time here.
    Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 02-26-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    André Gide

Ditto to Jarid's welcomes. Scorcho, we were afraid we'd lost you!

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Ute Dawg View Post
    Guess I can add my intro. I used to post on sites quite a bit over the years at utefans, utezone and scout and loved to post practice reports until I moved to Nebraska for law school.

I've been back in Utah since 2009 and am taking over my father's law practice this year so if I can swing it I will check out once in a while to post some practice reports here.

I have four boys (oldest is 7) and am proud to say that all of them are currently wearing some sort of Ute attire as they are sitting with me on the sofa right now.
    Thanks to the creators of this new forum as I am already enjoying it quite a bit.
    Keep your boys away from huskyfreenorthwest. He messed one of my sons up and turned the kid into a duck.

Hadn't seen this thread before. I guess this is where we introduce ourselves. If you have been on uf.n, then you already know that I'm a chucklehead. If not, you will figure that out as soon as I make some more posts here. If you frequent the tailgate lot, stop by and see me. Our group is in E46-E57. I'm the guy who looks like he needs to eat a sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk View Post
    Hadn't seen this thread before. I guess this is where we introduce ourselves. If you have been on uf.n, then you already know that I'm a chucklehead. If not, you will figure that out as soon as I make some more posts here. If you frequent the tailgate lot, stop by and see me. Our group is in E46-E57. I'm the guy who looks like he needs to eat a sandwich.
    You can't fool us, Turk. Chucklehead, my eye! Welcome!

--Yeats

Forward, never straight Freaky Girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk View Post

Ha Ha! My favorite chucklehead!! Good to see you, Turk.

Greetings

Hello all, I found out about this site from CUF. I have no affilation with either Utah or BYU. My HS junior may change that one day. I love college rugby and the State of Utah happens to the center of all things rugby in the USA imho. Our family has visited Utah's national parks and Temple Square and we have freinds from our ward who have kids that go to school out in Utah. Our ward is popular in the summer for DC and Virginia types who like the beach. The website layout is very appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
    Hello all, I found out about this site from CUF. I have no affilation with either Utah or BYU. My HS junior may change that one day. I love college rugby and the State of Utah happens to the center of all things rugby in the USA imho. Our family has visited Utah's national parks and Temple Square and we have freinds from our ward who have kids that go to school out in Utah. Our ward is popular in the summer for DC and Virginia types who like the beach. The website layout is very appealing.
    Welcome Oceanblue! I enjoy your rugby posts. I know Hostile and Wally are the big rugby guys around these parts. Feel free to get a thread started. Maybe others will join in.
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
    Did someone say Virginia? Where are you located OceanBlue? OBX?

And... two...

OceanBlue as in the band, or more in reference to my first question?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Da-da Da Da dahhh-ahhh! Screw the Y!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGabers View Post
    Did someone say Virginia? Where are you located OceanBlue? OBX?

And... two...

OceanBlue as in the band, or more in reference to my first question?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    OBX is the location and yes the handle is location as well. Not familiar with the band by that name. Has your family been to our ward ?

I guess I should finally come out of lurker status on one of these boards. I have been a fan of the U since growing up in the 80's in Payson surrounded by Cougar fans. I graduated in 05' (BS & BA) and now serve on the Young Alumni Board. I was first introduced to Uf.n by uteaholicslc when we had classes together at the U. I hope to contribute more to this site and get to know some of you. The site looks great and I look forward to contributing where I can and getting all the great information from the board.

Really enjoyed reading the poster bios. So, in that same spirit here I go....

How did you pick your Moniker?
    The Dunham and Miller show on the ticket in DFW is known as The Musers....or The Gentle Musers. I altered it to the mUUsers for my moniker.

How did you discover UB5?
    From CUF.

Where have you lived?
    A little here. A little there. Have settled down in the south.

What are your sports loyalties?
    Born a Ute. Married a Ute. So, I'm a Ute. While corny, my real passion is with my kids sports, but am not one that gets in their faces, or pushes them etc..... I'm never loud at their games, and never harass them after their games. Time with them is too short and precious for that crap. I just have the privilege to travel around with them and enjoy. In a general context, I can't get enough of baseball at any level or FP softball, followed closely by football.

What do you do for a living?
    At home dad. I was fortunate enough to marry well.

Religious affiliation?
    LDS. Baptized at 8 but then my parents went inactive a year or two later, and so did I. Didn't go on a mission, but basically lived as though I would. Didn't take up drinking, swearing, romancing the ladies etc....After I met my wife at Utah I did just enough in the church to be married in the SL temple, and that's been my MO ever since...doing just barely enough to stay off any "lists"...over 25 years. I really don't enjoy church, but I love my wife more than I dislike church so do the minimum it takes to go to the temple with her. She understands that I'm simply trying to endure till the end, and doesn't hassle me about anything. She's great that way and deep down kinda likes that I'm edgier than her church friends husbands. My kids seem to enjoy that side of me too, and so far hasn't hurt their testimony. OTOH, I'm sure it hasn't helped their testimony either.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Really enjoyed reading the poster bios. So, in that same spirit here I go....

How did you pick your Moniker?
    The Dunham and Miller show on the ticket in DFW is known as The Musers....or The Gentle Musers. I altered it to the mUUsers for my moniker.

How did you discover UB5?
    From CUF.

Where have you lived?
    A little here. A little there. Have settled down in the south.

What are your sports loyalties?
    Born a Ute. Married a Ute. So, I'm a Ute. While corny, my real passion is with my kids sports, but am not one that gets in their faces, or pushes them etc..... I'm never loud at their games, and never harass them after their games. Time with them is too short and precious for that crap. I just have the privilege to travel around with them and enjoy. In a general context, I can't get enough of baseball at any level or FP softball, followed closely by football.

What do you do for a living?
    At home dad. I was fortunate enough to marry well.

Religious affiliation?
    LDS. Baptized at 8 but then my parents went inactive a year or two later, and so did I. Didn't go on a mission, but basically lived as though I would. Didn't take up drinking, swearing, romancing the ladies etc....After I met my wife at Utah I did just enough in the church to be married in the SL temple, and that's been my MO ever since...doing just barely enough to stay off any "lists"...over 25 years. I really don't enjoy church, but I love my wife more than I dislike church so do the minimum it takes to go to the temple with her. She understands that I'm simply trying to endure till the end, and doesn't hassle me about anything. She's great that way and deep down kinda likes that I'm edgier than her church friends husbands. My kids seem to enjoy that side of me too, and so far hasn't hurt their testimony. OTOH, I'm sure it hasn't helped their testimony either.
    Welcome, MussUser! Keep stickin' around.

(Mods - shouldn't these intros be separate threads?)