Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's up with the NFL?

What's up with the NFL?

Very interesting piece:

Chargers' desperation move is a shot to the NFL's vitality

Excerpt:

Now a weird year for the NFL just got weirder. If the Chargers do indeed move, and if owners approve the Raiders' move to Vegas in March, three teams will have relocated in a 14-month span. There will be plenty of blame to go around. Goodell will be the face of it, but internally, owners and executives will wonder if NFL executive Eric Grubman, the point man on stadiums, did an effective enough job of negotiating with San Diego officials. The owners will be viewed as vessels of greed; Spanos will be the one who in the end decided to pull the plug on a cherished home, his legacy a sunburned version of Art Modell's. But the lingering conflict goes beyond the relocations, beyond the logistics and into an area that is tougher to navigate if not solve, because there is no clear solution: What if the NFL simply matters less?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    LA was blase about the Rams and then Raiders for years before each left. How is that city going to find interest for two new teams, one of which has no ties to the city since 1961. Maybe the NFL has peaked.

P. S. who besides me remembers that the Chargers were the LA Chargers before the moved to SD?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    LA was blase about the Rams and then Raiders for years before each left. How is that city going to find interest for two new teams, one of which has no ties to the city since 1961. Maybe the NFL has peaked.

P. S. who besides me remembers that the Chargers were the LA Chargers before the moved to SD?
    I think one NFL team is enough for LA fans to try to support (something we are not very good at here -- too much good weather and too many other things to do). I don't see this ending well.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

We love to hate the NFL, but it keeps chugging along as by far the most successful sports empire. No?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    We love to hate the NFL, but it keeps chugging along as by far the most successful sports empire. No?
    I don't follow the NFL so I can't say. It certainly seems to me to be the way you describe it. I have seen comments here and there about loss of viewership, over-saturation (too many televised games) and the like. Maybe that is just sports pundit talk. I like to follow college football and basketball (although I do enjoy watching NFL games now and the because it is fun to watch world-class athletes performing at the top of their game -- NFL QBs and receivers working together, for example).

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    My Dad grew up in SD and is bummed about the Chargers. I don't see why LA should have two teams. I'm not sure where else to put one in the west, though. Las Vegas Raiders. What other western cities can do it, though?
    I think a pro basketball team would work great for vegas. A pro football team will flounder.

I don't follow the NFL so I can't say. It certainly seems to me to be the way you describe it. I have seen comments here and there about loss of viewership, over-saturation (too many televised games) and the like. Maybe that is just sports pundit talk. I like to follow college football and basketball (although I do enjoy watching NFL games now and the because it is fun to watch world-class athletes performing at the top of their game -- NFL QBs and receivers working together, for example).
    I think the NFL has a Microsoft problem. You can't infinitely grow at the same rate as when your market was developing. Still, so many of the games are just bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I think the NFL has a Microsoft problem. You can't infinitely grow at the same rate as when your market was developing. Still, so many of the games are just bad.

Oversaturation

The PR with concussions, domestic violence and other such issues surely isn't helping.

What's up with the NFL?

Anthem protests led poll of reasons viewers tuned out

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...uned-nfl-games

I'm not a big follower of the NFL and I didn't change what little watching I do because of the protests (which I do not support). Still, this is interesting.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-03-2017 at 08:25 AM.

--Yeats

What's up with the NFL?

Interesting analysis of the NFL’s apparent decline.

The NFL Is Dying; Here's Why

This collapse of the NFL we’re witnessing is not new. It’s been happening for a long time just below the waterline. A buddy of mine, Steve Czaban, used to keep a running count on the waiting list for Redskins season tickets. When I first moved to Washington it was something like 35 years. Then it was 20 years. Then 15 years. Then 10 years.

Today the wait list for Redskins season tickets is 17 seconds. Not a typo. (And the team is even offering $100 gift cards to people who buy a season ticket package.)
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-nf...rticle/2010649

--Yeats

The moment they allowed a team to move to Las Vegas you knew the decline was real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    The moment they allowed a team to move to Las Vegas you knew the decline was real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    And allowing two stable franchises to move to LA, so they could build another opulent stadium plus media center.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    And allowing two stable franchises to move to LA, so they could build another opulent stadium plus media center.
    In haven’t met a single Angeleno who is excited about the Chargers coming here. L.A. already has a hard time supporting even one NFL team. It’s the dumbest move I’ve ever seen a sports franchise make.

--Yeats

Didn't think I would see a more obvious missed PI than the end of the Pac-12 title game for a long time, but the refs in the Saints game just proved me wrong. Wow. What a complete display of incompetence.
    Wow, the Saints got cheated. Unbelievable how egregious that missed call was.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Patriots in the Super Bowl. Booooring.

But my Rams will be there!

--Yeats

I know opinions differ, but I really don't like the NFL overtime. The game turning play in the LA/NO game was the pass interference non-call. The game turning play in the NE/KS game was the coin toss.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

The coastal teams beat the central teams, on the coastal team's home fields. Lots of sad or angry folks in the central time zone tonight.

I've never heard anyone argue the merits of the NFL overtime, and the coin toss was a HUGE play in that game. But the Pats converted multiple third downs on their game winning drive. The Chiefs have had great offenses for 3 seasons now, but their defenses have continually let them down.

Maybe they should just play an extra quarter of football.
    Wait for SoCalPat to check in. I'm pretty sure he's argued for it before.

Well, I won't argue for the college OT. It's dumb.

I would either like sudden death with no FGs allowed or just a 15 minute OT.

Oh, and no FGs would improve the college OT as well.
    I choose 15 minute OT or each team gets one possession guaranteed and after that it becomes sudden death.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I choose 15 minute OT or each team gets one possession guaranteed and after that it becomes sudden death.
    Makes a lot of sense to me.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I know opinions differ, but I really don't like the NFL overtime. The game turning play in the LA/NO game was the pass interference non-call. The game turning play in the NE/KS game was the coin toss.
    The Patriots converted 3rd and 10 THREE TIMES in OT. The Chiefs had their shot to stop them and couldn't get it done.

That said, I would prefer to just have teams start on their own 25. Turn over on downs gives the ball to the other team on their own 25. TDs only, and 2 pt conversions only. No game clock, and both teams get a shot. First team to score and hold, wins.

Patriots in the Super Bowl. Booooring.
    As a long-time Pats fan (since the late 70s) I am excited to see this game. It is the end of an era, as I can't see Tom Brady retuning.

But my Rams will be there!
    I am really excited to see the Rams get there. I love watching their Oh-Fense and greatly enjoyed watching Jim Harding steal their schemes this year.

And I look forward to watching Mahomes play next year. He is absolutely amazing.

The most intriguing match up possibilities were Saints/Pats for the Brady/Brees hype and Chiefs/Rams for a rematch of the most entertaining NFL game in recent memory.

Rams/Pats best angle is old vs new, which is kinda blah. Still, should be a good game.
    should have been old v. old or young v. young. now it is old v. the next young, same as last week.

Wait for SoCalPat to check in. I'm pretty sure he's argued for it before.
    NFL OT is a million times better than college OT, which is a bastardization of the game.

That said, I don't think I've ever said NFL OT is the perfect set-up. It's clearly the best we have, but I'm open to amending it.

The first step in amending it is to bring back the tie in all but division regular season games and, of course, all playoff games. Eliminate them for cross-conference games (four such games annually). That leaves six intra-conference games, and you could probably do away with OT in those games as well. That would leave a minimum of six games annually in which teams could find themselves in OT. The reduced OT (from 15 minutes to 10) is a clear admission from the league that too much football isn't healthy, and that there are risks that exist that don't present themselves in such large numbers in other sports. I'm perfectly fine with this.

There would then be one 10-minute OT, played to conclusion. If the game is still tied at that point, the game clock is turned off, and the game proceeds as is in a sudden-death format where the next score wins the game.

I just realized that during this year's superbowl, I'll be driving back from St George, most likely in a snowstorm, pulling a trailer. But at least it will be with weary legs from mountain biking the 3 prior days. I'll probably be listening to the game on the radio, and munching on whatever fast food or gas station snacks I pick up along the way.

So that is my superbowl party. Anyone else have big plans?

Hockey game - Caps v Bruins at 12:30 EST, then home for a dinner with friends where the super bowl will not even come close to being on the dinner discussion list.

I just realized that during this year's superbowl, I'll be driving back from St George, most likely in a snowstorm, pulling a trailer. But at least it will be with weary legs from mountain biking the 3 prior days. I'll probably be listening to the game on the radio, and munching on whatever fast food or gas station snacks I pick up along the way.

Last year I was in Disneyland with my family during the Super Bowl. You could tell everyone was trying to stream the game or check the score because phone reception got really spotty for a while there. A mighty roar rose seemingly out of nowhere when it went final with the Eagles winning.

I’m signed up for a photography workshop in Death Valley from Friday night until sunset Sunday. Won’t be seeing any of this year’s commercials.

I've made these wings the past few years, and they're good:

https://hostthetoast.com/baked-chick...-garlic-sauce/

I'll watch with the fam, maybe invite a few other families from our ward. Go Rams.
    The wings were good again. A guest brought a smoked pork shoulder. Homemade pretzel bites. Guac. Spicy corn dip. Pretty great. I'm feeling heavy now.

I enjoyed the game more than Twitter did. The Pat's D-line owned the Rams all night. There were so many great plays in the secondary. I was reminded of the Pac-12 championship game and how much people complained about it. I guess people don't want to watch defense.

Shoulda been the Saints.

The wings were good again. A guest brought a smoked pork shoulder. Homemade pretzel bites. Guac. Spicy corn dip. Pretty great. I'm feeling heavy now.

I enjoyed the game more than Twitter did. The Pat's D-line owned the Rams all night. There were so many great plays in the secondary. I was reminded of the Pac-12 championship game and how much people complained about it. I guess people don't want to watch defense.

Shoulda been the Saints.
    I liked the game a lot too; mostly because it was apparent all second half that one play or turnover was going to decide it. There was a lot of tension.

Here is a good article on the Pats defensive scheme:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.7a0214b0b473

We were also saying during the game that it should have been the Saints, because Brees would have been able to adjust to the Pats defense much better than Goff.