Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: North by Northwest: Utes vs. WSU/UW Road Trip

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    The freshman class in the PAC-12 this year is an embarrassment of riches. Daniels isn't on the same level of talent as Ball, Markannen, or Fultz. But he damn well better get a good, hard look at the All Freshman team this year.
    Of those talented four freshmen, Daniels is the only one who will be a sophmore.

Don McLean's crush on Fultz was understandable - kid's a talent - but even funnier was Kevin O'Neil's halftime indictment of Fultz.

"Look, I hope he makes $500 million dollars in the NBA and plays for 30 years with 5 championships. I'm just saying he doesn't play very hard." The other studio analyst, Eldridge Recasner, who was a 3-time All-PAC guard who played in the league, was trying to defend Fultz, "He's only 18 years old, but I agree, it looks like he just got up from a nap".

O'Neil can get pretty wrapped around the axle about stuff - he was fired at USC right after spanking us by 30 points, at our place. Still, I think the dude's pretty funny - he looks like Fred Flintstone, with horn rimmed glasses.

I really like Lorenzo Romar, and I appreciate fellow SoCal fanboy Bill Walton talking him up a couple of weeks ago, but geez, his team can't play defense to save their lives.

That whole telecast started out as a Markelle Fultz love fest - which led to Kevin O'Neil's halftime rant - and then in the second half McLean found his marbles and the theme became about Utah scoring in the paint, at will.

Hard to find fault with a 20 point road win, where your 2nd best player didn't play, and his replacement (JJ) was mediocre, and the other big was a foul machine, and your two new guards were Houdinis.

McLean said he wanted to see Fultz line up vs Bonam, noting that Zo has an NBA body, but while Fultz got his points, Bonam sliced their D to pieces and got a bunch of assists, too, and hit some 3s

Our coaching brain trust gives us a serious advantage against lower tier league teams.

Wazzu got the win vs the Buffs, who simply must be smoking a lot weed to be THAT pathetic, with that much talent. Tad Boyle will go back to stock broking after this season.

LK or somebody keeps pulling these terrific players out of his ass. Wright, Poettle, Bonam, Kuzma, Daniels, et al. Whoever heard of these guys before they came to Utah? I guarantee they weren't on any long list of even USC. Okay, Poetel, maybe. I can't believe it. I wouldn't count Bonam out of a shot at the NBA. I forgive them for missing the Wasatch Academy kid who went to Utah State.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

North by Northwest: Utes vs. WSU/UW Road Trip

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    LK or somebody keeps pulling these terrific players out of his ass. Wright, Poettle, Bonam, Kuzma, Daniels, et al. Whoever heard of these guys before they came to Utah? I guarantee they weren't on any long list of even USC. Okay, Poetel, maybe. I can't believe it. I wouldn't count Bonam out of a shot at the NBA. I forgive them for missing the Wasatch Academy kid who went to Utah State.
    He has an eye for diamonds in the rough. You and I both agree that to be successful at Utah a coach needs that ability. Majerus had it in spades.

Coaches who identify under-the-radar talent

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....e-radar-talent
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-21-2017 at 10:49 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Daniels wasn't under the radar as much as we think.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4844304-1...aniels-is-utes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Daniels wasn't under the radar as much as we think.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4844304-1...aniels-is-utes

Neither was Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Neither was Johnson
    It's reasonable to believe that if the program continues to perform as it has in the last several seasons, we will gradually get more and more of those highly ranked recruits. I think our coaches will always need to identify under the radar talent, however.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Hats off to all of you who believed in our Utes more than me predicting a sweep this week. To do it so impressively and without Collette is something I never would have predicted.

A couple of things of note to me. I liked our composure in the second half tonight on both of the occasions the Huskies made a mini-run to get inside of ten points. On a macro-level, I like that this team can play fast and slow. I think we'll need Collette healthy to play our best half-court basketball due to Johnson's inexperience/current inability in the post; but I've loved what David can do in the post. Turning Bonham and Daniels loose to push the tempo a bit has been fun to watch. If Barefield can get a little more consistent, watch out.

I really didn't think we'd be sitting in fourth place ever this season. I sure hope we can keep this up. Could we sweep our Oregon brothers?

Let me add my voice to the chorus: I didn't believe we would be in contention for the tourney this year. Hats off to the coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post

I really didn't think we'd be sitting in fourth place ever this season. I sure hope we can keep this up. Could we sweep our Oregon brothers?
    I'm seeing the following tiers:

Tier one: zona, ucla, Oregon

Tier two: Utah

Tier three: cal, usc

Tier four: everyone else

Problem is that we need some wins against tournament teams, but our only chances at that come against potential final four teams.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm seeing the following tiers:

Tier one: zona, ucla, Oregon

Tier two: Utah

Tier three: cal, usc

Tier four: everyone else

Problem is that we need some wins against tournament teams, but our only chances at that come against potential final four teams.
    Cal is in our tier. How we do against them will determine if we finish 4th

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Hats off to all of you who believed in our Utes more than me predicting a sweep this week. To do it so impressively and without Collette is something I never would have predicted.

A couple of things of note to me. I liked our composure in the second half tonight on both of the occasions the Huskies made a mini-run to get inside of ten points. On a macro-level, I like that this team can play fast and slow. I think we'll need Collette healthy to play our best half-court basketball due to Johnson's inexperience/current inability in the post; but I've loved what David can do in the post. Turning Bonham and Daniels loose to push the tempo a bit has been fun to watch. If Barefield can get a little more consistent, watch out.

Sure, they can beat Oregon next week. But I despair of it happening in a close game. They will have to win at least by 5.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Depends on whether Brooks is good to go. Without him we should look very good, especially if Collette is back.

Been watching the UW this morning. McLane has definitely had a love fest for Fultz, and rightly so, but I don't think he was "rooting" for UW.

I think it is no secret about the financial situation the P12 Network is in, and they need something to hang their hat on. In sports it is the stars. Fultz is a star in the making so I think the on air personalities have been told to build him up whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Cal is in our tier. How we do against them will determine if we finish 4th
    I'm thinking that we look stronger than the bears. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Been watching the UW this morning. McLane has definitely had a love fest for Fultz, and rightly so, but I don't think he was "rooting" for UW.

I think it is no secret about the financial situation the P12 Network is in, and they need something to hang their hat on. In sports it is the stars. Fultz is a star in the making so I think the on air personalities have been told to build him up whenever possible.

Yeah, he probably just needs to work on his phrasing. With about 8 minutes left, he said he "hoped" UW would start to get some defensive stops, he "wanted" Fultz to take over the game. I get that he is probably hoping and wanting these things so it becomes a better, more intense game for the viewers, but the way he said it could be taken as UW homerism.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.