Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Basketball Recruiting Thread

2018 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Another Doutrive coming to the PAC-12. This one to...Arizona.

https://247sports.com/Article/Devona...zona-117107720

Devonaire will be at AZ, Deschon Winston at Cal, and Devonte Doutrive at Utah. All three went to Birmingham High in Van Nuys, not far from my home. I used to drive by it on the way to work every day.

"The whole atmosphere," [Devonaire’s stepfather Laurian Watkins ] added about Arizona. "You can tell when you walk in there that it was a program of prestige and after meeting with the staff and counselors, it was something we could support as parents."

Doutrive, a standout at Van Nuys (Calif.) Birmingham, started an official visit with Arizona on Thursday. Doutrive informed the staff of his decision before he left campus.

"It seemed to fit his personality," Watkins said.

Watkins also noted that he's been impressed with Sean Miller, not only for how he recruited Doutrive, but for how he handled the drama surrounding Arizona during the season.

"Sean was just a straight forward guy," Watkins said. "He showed a lot of character. He handled the investigation stuff with class. It takes a lot to step away from the team, so you don’t create a further distraction, for someone to do that, it’s selfless. That’s what my boy are about, selfless, and that' how they play. They were so straight forward with us."
    Barf.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-10-2018 at 05:53 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Per Bill, Charles Jones has been named first team all-american NJCAA.

When someone says Miller is a straightforward guy, I believe him.

Miller probably walks in, hands the kid a check, and says, “it is what it is.”

and if if that kid was mine, I’d take the check and ask where do I sign as a recruit.

Lahat Thioune implies on twitter that he has signed his letter of intent. Since this puts us over the scholarship limit, I am wondering if the athletic department will release a statement welcoming him and giving well wishes to the player(s) who will be transferring.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Lahat Thioune implies on twitter that he has signed his letter of intent. Since this puts us over the scholarship limit, I am wondering if the athletic department will release a statement welcoming him and giving well wishes to the player(s) who will be transferring.

Enter updated My Cousin Vinny quote: "What the hell is a Utes?!"

Utah makes it official.

What's the story on Lahat? I can't find much about him. Is he another LK diamond in the rough?

In any case I hope someone can find a way to make a few sandwiches for him without violating NCAA rules. 6'11", 205 lbs. Wow.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-11-2018 at 03:36 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Utah makes it official.

so jealous you can link tweets

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    so jealous you can link tweets
    Twitter Link.jpg

Twitter Link 2.JPG

That's it. Where it gets a little glitchy, that you have to get used to is when you hit post, for whatever reason, the Tweet doesn't show up on your screen, but has been actually posted. Once you refresh the page, it then shows up.

I'm actually somewhat surprised he ended up with us. Not sure why, but it seemed like someone would scoop us.

He was heavily recruited by Louisville until they got sanctioned. Several of his teammates from 2 years ago went to UNLV—it was thought he would end up there.

Jake Connor announces his commitment to Westminster.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Jake Connor announces his commitment to Westminster.
    Great news for him. Will be a really fun year.

Seeley announces he’s out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer.

Novak Topalovic is visiting this weekend. I think he would be a really nice addition.

2018 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Novak Topalovic is visiting this weekend. I think he would be a really nice addition.
    He’s a grad transfer, right? Kinda odd for a 7-footer to be in that situation. But I know little about him.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-15-2018 at 08:49 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    He’s a grad transfer, right? Kinda odd for a 7-footer to be in that situation. But I know little about him.
    I think he wants to try his hand at something better than the big sky. His stats have been pretty consistent over the last two years and I think he would be a nice platoon partner with Jayce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not that surprising. I would think he would go the JC route and play as a sophomore. I can't imagine he would want to sit another year.

Larry stopped by to visit top 100 2018 point guard James akinjo today. He was committed to uconn but was recently released from his LOI.
    And he is now committed to Georgetown. I considered him a "Playing with house money" type recruit anyway.

And he is now committed to Georgetown. I considered him a "Playing with house money" type recruit anyway.
    Not a bad morning for Georgetown. And another name that Ute fans should recognize.

I think he wants to try his hand at something better than the big sky. His stats have been pretty consistent over the last two years and I think he would be a nice platoon partner with Jayce.
    Does chasing another big imply the staff doesn't expect Jayce to be able to step in as the main man next season? Or does it say more about Lahat's readiness for next season? Not sure what to read into this development.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Does chasing another big imply the staff doesn't expect Jayce to be able to step in as the main man next season? Or does it say more about Lahat's readiness for next season? Not sure what to read into this development.
    I think it just means we have very few bigs. It's just Johnson, Thioune, and Battin right now.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think it just means we have very few bigs. It's just Johnson, Thioune, and Battin right now.
    Yeah, but this past season we went with only Johnson and Collette. Jokl doesn't really count. We didn't even use him. In this era of small ball, how many bigs do we need?

Yeah, but this past season we went with only Johnson and Collette. Jokl doesn't really count. We didn't even use him. In this era of small ball, how many bigs do we need?
    Ive got to be honest and admit that i have not watched anything beyond a few highlights of this kid, but he seems to be not all that different from Jayce. I think that given Jayce's foul troubles and occasional ankle issues, it would be wise to have another reliable guy to police the lane.

how many bigs do we need?
    Even in this era, I'd say the answer is "as many as we can get." We had plenty of times this season where we were in trouble due to injury/foul trouble.

We ended up with Rawson playing the 5 quite a bit, Seeley some and I swear I recall Utah playing with Tillman as the tallest player at some point. So in other words, just because we left ourselves short on usable bigs last year doesn't mean we should repeat the mistake. I'd echo Mr's point about Jayce and issues with fouls and his ankles. You add this kid so that you have Jayce and Topalovic as your primary centers, Thioune mainly as a forward but swinging a little to center if needed (and ready) and Battin also there in case Lahat isn't ready. I think that's the right amount of players at that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Battin also there in case Lahat isn't ready.
    I agree with your post, but I think these two names should be reversed. I'm pinning my hopes on Battin as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Even in this era, I'd say the answer is "as many as we can get." We had plenty of times this season where we were in trouble due to injury/foul trouble.
    Okay, but why this guy? He appears to be redundant to Jayce. He is not a 3-point threat and neither is Jayce. By comparison, Villanova won another championship using exactly one guy 6-9 or better, Omari Spellman. In fact, they don't have any guys bigger than 6-9 on their entire roster.