Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neil Gorsuch Supreme Court Nomination

Neil Gorsuch Supreme Court Nomination

Politico:

What Could Gorsuch Mean for the Supreme Court?

13 top legal scholars weigh in.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...-future-214724

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

A very nuanced analysis of Gorsuch's judicial record.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f5cfb34fb306

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The Repubs played hardball with the Merrick Garland nomination and they should expect the Dems to do the same now.
    It is one thing to ask hard questions and another to attempt to block a vote. They won't do this, but the Dems should ask every question they deem necessary and then vote.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    It is one thing to ask hard questions and another to attempt to block a vote. They won't do this, but the Dems should ask every question they deem necessary and then vote.
    Until the Republicans just change the rules because the democrats want to ask more questions.

McConnell's comments alone are enough to tell me the powers that be in the Republican Party only care about their party agenda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Until the Republicans just change the rules because the democrats want to ask more questions.
    I'm calling BS on this one. The rule was that at least one member of each party needs to be present for a vote. The Democrats abused that rule by boycotting sessions, attempting to block a vote. That is a childish, anti-democratic maneuver. Republicans changed the rules so that if people refused to show up to vote, they don't get to vote. Sounds like democracy to me.

--Yeats

I'm calling BS on this one. The rule was that at least one member of each party needs to be present for a vote. The Democrats abused that rule by boycotting sessions, attempting to block a vote. That is a childish, anti-democratic maneuver. Republicans changed the rules so that if people refused to show up to vote, they don't get to vote. Sounds like democracy to me.
    You're hilarious LA. The democrats refused to come because the republicans refused to allow more questioning of the candidates. Isn't that childish?

Of course if we really want to get to childish we only need to look at the president set by your favored party don't we?

......Of course if we really want to get to childish we only need to look at the president set by your favored party don't we?

So this is where the discourse is now? "I know you are but what am I?".......sigh. I think these political threads have outlived their usefulness.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    So this is where the discourse is now? "I know you are but what am I?".......sigh. I think these political threads have outlived their usefulness.
    No not at all.

But the fact that republicans are suddenly upset with childishness and undemocratic behavior is a bit funny isn't it?

I don't fall to any party, I tend to lean more left on some things but vote for candidates of both parties.

I truly believe the two party system in the US is the biggest problem we have with our political system and process.

Neil Gorsuch Supreme Court Nomination

You're hilarious LA. The democrats refused to come because the republicans refused to allow more questioning of the candidates. Isn't that childish?

Of course if we really want to get to childish we only need to look at the president set by your favored party don't we?

If you are as non-partisan as you claim, you will acknowledge that the Democrats wanted to ask further questions only to continue a show in opposition to the EPA nominee. They did not have the right to ask more questions because they're not in the majority and got outvoted. That's legislation 101. So when they didn't get what they wanted, they decided to boycott the hearings in order to obstruct further action until they got their way. The party in the majority then changed the rules so that action can go forward without anyone from the opposing party present, as long as the opposing party members know the time and date of the hearing and intentionally decide not to show up. You called the Republicans asshats for doing that. To me it is just the rough and tumble of politics. Neither side is glorious in this situation. They're just doing the maneuvering involved in politics.

By the way, if you want to talk about precedent, Google "Reid rule" and "Biden rule" in the context of Senate confirmation of judicial nominees.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-02-2017 at 01:47 PM.

--Yeats

Yeah, to pretend both sides don't do this stuff is to have your head in the ground. I think we all would agree that the public wishes these guys would just do their jobs and do what is best for the country and put partisanship to the side.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Yeah, to pretend both sides don't do this stuff is to have your head in the ground. I think we all would agree that the public wishes these guys would just do their jobs and do what is best for the country and put partisanship to the side.
    If you think both sides do this equally... then you are crazier than a shit house rat. But, yeah, I wish they would do their damn job.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    ...then you are crazier than a shit house rat...
    I think that's your job, I would hate to encroach on it.

Banned
    I think that's your job, I would hate to encroach on it.
    You are so clever.

You are so clever.
    Flattery will get you everywhere.

"Lovers of law or sausage should never know how either one is made."

--Anonymous

--Yeats

"Lovers of law or sausage should never know how either one is made."

--Anonymous
    That's why I eat bacon.

Banned
    Flattery will get you everywhere.

Heh. Orrin Hatch trolls his late friend Ted Kennedy.

https://youtu.be/KBFD-KO9LYg

--Yeats

Banned
    If you are as non-partisan as you claim,
    And... LA nails it here. Rocker please admit to yourself that you are not nearly non-partisan.
    Last edited by Devildog; 02-03-2017 at 08:31 AM.

And... LA nails it here. Rocker please admit to yourself that you are not nearly non-partisan. You lean left as a fallen log.
    He was responding to Diehard not me, but when did I claim to be non-partisan?

I've explained my political leanings (note that word) to you in the past. Best summed up that I am skeptical of most politicians and believe both parties have served themselves before country for, well, at least the majority of my lifetime. I also believe that Donald Trump is uniquely unqualified to be president. I haven't been proven wrong yet.

So you know, if anything I lean conservative despite being registered as a Democrat. I probably shouldn't be registered as a Democrat, but it was more of a response to local politics than nationally. In short, I thought that, all things considered, Jim Matheson did a hell of a job.

Banned
    You have told me that you are more conservative than I am.

I think Trump is shaking and tearing things up in Washington. I love that. I believe we have been on the wrong course for a long time. I love what he is doing. I think the people that elected him feel similarly. You are not more conservative than I am. Relax because eventually the pendulum will swing back to the left. Not before some stupid ass leftist bullshit gets undone though.

I think Trump is shaking and tearing things up in Washington. I love that. I believe we have been on the wrong course for a long time. I love what he is doing. I think the people that elected him feel similarly. You are not more conservative than I am. Relax because eventually the pendulum will swing back to the left. Not before some stupid ass leftist bullshit gets undone though.
    I've never claimed to be more conservative than you, are you drinking again? I agree with being on the wrong course, but what Trump is doing isn't shaking and tearing things up, it is foolishness and destruction, from someone who barely tries to hide his corruption. Important distinction.

Why does it matter whether or not Rocker Ute considers himself conservative or not?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Steak and Eggs View Post
    Why does it matter whether or not Rocker Ute considers himself conservative or not?

Moose?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Steak and Eggs View Post
    Because we all want to know, Moose.

Banned
    I've never claimed to be more conservative than you, are you drinking again? I agree with being on the wrong course, but what Trump is doing isn't shaking and tearing things up, it is foolishness and destruction, from someone who barely tries to hide his corruption. Important distinction.
    Tearing it up is what he got elected to do. Oh and yes you have claimed to be more conservative than me.

Tearing it up is what he got elected to do. Oh and yes you have claimed to be more conservative than me.
    Devildog, I'm more conservative than you are. I will make that claim with no reservations whatsoever.

I did just install some high-efficiency windows in my basement, so you are right, I am really conservative. You are just sort of conservative. Sad.

Can you please define what the "right" course is? I genuinely want to know.

Let's start with Russia: How do you think we should handle them?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Can you please define what the "right" course is? I genuinely want to know.

Let's start with Russia: How do you think we should handle them?
    Just shake it up, U-Ute, that's what I want to see. Lots of non-specific or well-reasoned shaking.