Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neil Gorsuch Supreme Court Nomination

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Just shake it up, U-Ute, that's what I want to see. Lots of non-specific or well-reasoned shaking.
    :spittake: I actually snorted I laughed so hard at that.

My nephew clerked for Judge Babcock in the same district. I was hoping he could give me some observations (dirt) on Gorsuch, but he didn't know him.

nuts

"It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so"
    - Will Rogers

"Cyberspace is - or can be - a good, friendly and egalitarian place to meet. "

- Douglas Adams

Just shake it up, U-Ute, that's what I want to see. Lots of non-specific or well-reasoned shaking.
    That's quite subjective.

One person's "well reasoned shaking" is another person's "apocalypse". Can you give me an example of what you consider "well reasoned shaking"?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    That's quite subjective.

One person's "well reasoned shaking" is another person's "apocalypse". Can you give me an example of what you consider "well reasoned shaking"?
    I can't really say, except if it involves more than 180 characters it probably isn't worth shaking.

I can't really say, except if it involves more than 180 characters it probably isn't worth shaking.
    Well, this may be one of those situations of you better be careful what you wish for. Before you know it, it will be your sacred cow being sacrificed on the altar of change and the same Trump that doesn't care he's stomping on other people won't care he's stomping on you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    :spittake: I actually snorted I laughed so hard at that.
    Sack swinging at it's finest Sully. Tarzan would be proud of your grip son.

That's quite subjective.

One person's "well reasoned shaking" is another person's "apocalypse".
    You liberal crybaby's think this is what the apocalypse looks like? OK... hahhahaha. Trump is just getting started and little Rocker is already so upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Sack swinging at it's finest Sully. Tarzan would be proud of your grip son.

You liberal crybaby's think this is what the apocalypse looks like? OK... hahhahaha. Trump is just getting started and little Rocker is already so upset.
    So lets get back on topic here. What do you think of the Gorsuch pick? I think it is a good one.

Well, this may be one of those situations of you better be careful what you wish for. Before you know it, it will be your sacred cow being sacrificed on the altar of change and the same Trump that doesn't care he's stomping on other people won't care he's stomping on you.
    As long as it is shaking and tearing, I'm with Devildog...

know-anything.jpg

I should also probably clarify. I meant to say "ill-reasoned shaking" but decided to go with it. There ain't much well-reasoned anything coming out of that hair.

Banned
    As long as it is shaking and tearing, I'm with Devildog...
    Trump continues to destroy Obama's politically correct Washington. I can see your tears Rocker, I'm sorry this hurts so much as conservative as you are... but it's going to be for the best. Just suck it up buttercup.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Trump continues to destroy Obama's politically correct Washington. I can see your tears Rocker, I'm sorry this hurts so much as conservative as you are... but it's going to be for the best. Just suck it up buttercup.
    I'm WITH you brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Banned
    I'm WITH you brother.
    Draining the damn swamp. Sorry, that it's so painful for you...but it's for the best.

From the smart, balanced economics writer Megan McArdle:

I thought Republicans should have confirmed Garland, and I’ve written before that the arms race to procedurally hack the U.S. government — via controlling the Supreme Court, or dreaming up ever-more-arcane uses of the parliamentary rules — is bad for the country and needs to stop. That doesn’t mean I think it’s going to. The escalating tit-for-tat game over the Supreme Court has been going on at least since the 1980s, and arguably long before that, in the post-New-Deal era when courts began tilting noticeably leftwards. Under Reagan, conservatives sought to reverse that by grooming conservative justices for all levels of the courts. Democrats tried to keep them from doing so, culminating in the disgraceful treatment of Robert Bork. Ever since, we’ve been locked in a spiraling cycle of payback.

Everyone understands that this is destructive; everyone wishes it to stop. The catch is, they also believe that it needs to stop after they themselves get last licks in. And so it continues.

Thus I was unsurprised when Democrats began talking about a filibuster before they even knew who the nominee was. . . .

So I’m struggling to see what the point of this is, other than revenge. I do see why people want revenge. And revenge can play a useful role in politics, policing the worst excesses of the other side.

But there’s a reason that they say revenge is a dish best served cold. People who seek vengeance without stopping to count the potential costs to themselves often end up hurting their own side worse than the enemy. Democrats are already in an electorally vulnerable position, and facing a president who uniquely terrifies them. That’s probably a good time to stop, take a careful assessment of their tactical position, and imagine what battles they might need to hoard their ammunition for. Instead, they seem prepared to storm the barricades with all guns blazing. Unfortunately, the American system of justice, and perhaps even the Democrats themselves, are the ones most likely to be wounded by the engagement.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...enge-plot-ends

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Ruh row.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Ruh row.
    I was part of a few bennion center groups at the u. I participated actively. I don't remember the names of the other student volunteers, and I'm sure they don't remember me.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I was part of a few bennion center groups at the u. I participated actively. I don't remember the names of the other student volunteers, and I'm sure they don't remember me.
    I kind of remember going to law school.

--Yeats

Just get the confirmation over with already so we can put an asterisk by every 5-4 decision over the next few decades.

Supreme Court fight over Gorsuch puts Schumer in a bind

Within hours of President Trump’s announcement that he nominated Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court, a conservative group launched a $7 million ad campaign aimed at pressuring politically vulnerable red-state Senate Democrats to vote for for nominee.

At the same moment, thousands of protesters swarmed Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer’s, D-N.Y., Brooklyn apartment, some of them waiving plastic spines, demanding that Schumer and the Democrats hold firm and block Gorsuch from the high court.

Schumer, who is in his first term as Senate Democratic leader, is in a difficult political position as the Senate considers the nomination of Gorsuch, a highly respected jurist currently serving on the bench of the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.

With five vulnerable Democrats and eight more seats on the verge of being competitive in 2018, Schumer must find a way to satisfy the Democratic base by fighting the nomination without jeopardizing the re-election prospects of a big portion of his caucus who have to run for re-election in states that Trump won.
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/su...rticle/2613730

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Ruh row.

Mmmmm....that's not enough to cut it, but, keep digging.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

WSJ op-ed by a Yale Law prof:

For Moderate Democrats, Judge Gorsuch Is as Good as It Gets

Moderates could do a lot worse than Judge Neil Gorsuch—and we probably will if he isn’t confirmed. Donald Trump is clearly determined to nominate a judicial conservative to the Supreme Court. Elections have consequences, as Barack Obama once chided congressional Republicans.

Judge Gorsuch’s judicial philosophy isn’t mine. He believes that the Constitution’s meaning is fixed, that whatever the words signified in the era of the Founders is what they still express today. My view, which aligns more closely with that of Justices Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan, is that judges must respect the Constitution’s text and history but may also interpret them to fit the changing times.

But among judicial conservatives, Judge Gorsuch is as good as it possibly gets. I have known him personally for more than a decade, since he was an attorney in the Justice Department. He is a brilliant mind, but more important he is a kind, sensitive and caring human being. Judge Gorsuch tries very hard to get the law right. He is not an ideologue, not the kind to always rule in favor of businesses or against the government. Instead, he follows the law as best as he can wherever it might lead.

Judge Gorsuch has demonstrated in his rulings that he believes the judiciary has a sworn duty to protect individual liberties, even when they lack broad public support. Today Judge Gorsuch rules that Hobby Lobby cannot be forced to offer employees certain contraceptive coverage that violates its owners’ religious beliefs. (That ruling was upheld by the Supreme Court.) But tomorrow it could mean standing up for an unpopular minority group that liberals like better.

American history teaches that the controversy of the moment when a Supreme Court nominee is considered rarely becomes the defining issue of that justice’s career. The life of the country is unpredictable, and it would be a mistake to back a nominee simply for having the right political views on the cause célèbre du jour. More important is putting on the court someone like Neil Gorsuch—a good person with solid values—to decide, as the law requires, future controversies that we have yet to dream.

Democrats are still rightly upset that President Obama’s nominee for the vacancy, Judge Merrick Garland, was not given a hearing or a vote last year. Judge Garland is also a good man and a fine jurist, and he deserved better than to be treated like a political football. But retaliating now won’t right that wrong. It only will deepen the blood feud.

Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D., Conn.) had it exactly right: “I am still angry about Merrick Garland,” he was quoted by Real Clear Politics as saying. “But I believe that this nominee”—meaning Judge Gorsuch—“ought to have a hearing and a vote. We should not repeat the Republican wrong. Two wrongs don’t make a right.”

Then there is the practical political situation: Of the Democratic senators up for re-election in 2018, 10 represent states that Donald Trump carried. Blocking the president’s nominee could result in the defeat of some of them—and an even larger Republican majority for President Trump’s next potential Supreme Court nominee.

That battle will probably be more important. For years the court has been in rough balance, with four conservative justices, four liberal ones, and a swing vote cast by the relatively moderate Justice Anthony Kennedy. Confirming Judge Gorsuch to replace the late Justice Antonin Scalia will not alter that balance, but Mr. Trump’s next nominee might.

The sensible route for moderate Democrats is clear: They should cross the aisle and join Republicans to cut off a filibuster, allowing an up-or-down vote by a simple majority on Judge Gorsuch. That will prevent Republicans from invoking the “nuclear option” to change the Senate rules and abolish the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees. One way or another, Judge Gorsuch is going to be confirmed. The question is how much damage will be done to the country first.

It has been Hatfields and McCoys in Washington for the past few years. No one has been trying to do the right thing anymore. The only goal seems to be getting even for the last outrage. This is an opportunity to break the cycle by coming together for the good of the country. The partisan wars started in 1987 with Judge Robert Bork; the time to end them is 2017 with Judge Gorsuch.

Mr. Elliott is an adjunct professor at Yale Law School.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/for-mod...ets-1486426119

--Yeats

A misguided attack on Neal Katyal

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8525943e59f3

It's hard not to see this as a warning shot from ThinkProgeess to others that they'd better toe the line and not say good things about Gorsuch.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    A misguided attack on Neal Katyal

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8525943e59f3

It's hard not to see this as a warning shot from ThinkProgeess to others that they'd better toe the line and not say good things about Gorsuch.
    I appeared before Gorsuch at the 10th Circuit. He didn't like my argument at all. That's is fine. But he was a pompous asshole about it. Not a fan of his personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I appeared before Gorsuch at the 10th Circuit. He didn't like my argument at all. That's is fine. But he was a pompous asshole about it. Not a fan of his personality.
    I don't like it when judges behave that way. They are public servants, supposedly of the highest order.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I don't like it when judges behave that way. They are public servants, supposedly of the highest order.

During the argument, I thought to myself, I've been around long enough now that I'm entitled to a little respect as well as you judge. I wish I had had the balls to say that. Dude's a douche bag.

Worth a read:

Questions for Judge Gorsuch

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...estions-senate

--Yeats

With Trump having conducted three campaign appearances, including today in Kentucky, we're unquestionably in a presidential election.

And the last election was tainted by interference from a foreign power, a longtime adversary. Much of the facts are still being investigated, and will (presumably) come to light as the Congress Intelligence committees hold hearings.

Based on the most recent precedent, the least the Senate can do is give the American people a chance to indicate their feelings on the Gorsuch nomination in the voting booth, just a short year and 8 months away. If the Senate flips to Democratic control, that's an unambiguous sign Americans reject Trump, and by extension, Gorsuch.

If Gorsuch is confirmed, and ends up ruling on a case involving Trump and the Russians, we would see mass civil unrest.

Waiting on the Gorsuch nomination until after the elections next year is not an unreasonable demand, based on the recent past.

From Judge Gorsuch's statement today:

Finally, there is Justice Jackson. He wrote clearly so everyone could understand his decisions. He never hid behind legal jargon. And while he was a famously fierce advocate for his clients as a lawyer, he reminded us that, when you become a judge, you fiercely defend only one client — the law…Of course, I make my share of mistakes. As my daughters never tire of reminding me, putting on a robe doesn’t make me any smarter. I’ll never forget my first day on the job. Carrying a pile of papers up steps to the bench, I tripped on my robe and everything just about went flying. But troublesome as it can be, the robe does mean something — and not just that I can hide coffee stains on my shirt. Putting on a robe reminds us that it’s time to lose our egos and open our minds. It serves, too, as a reminder of the modest station we judges are meant to occupy in a democracy. In other countries, judges wear scarlet, silk, and ermine. Here, we judges buy our own plain black robes. And I can report that the standard choir outfit at the local uniform supply store is a pretty good deal. Ours is a judiciary of honest black polyester.

--Yeats

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.ef61ad02c409

--Yeats

The buildup of anger (deterioration of civility) that has characterized the past 20 years or so has reached a crescendo... maybe?

The Senate was supposed to be the august body of wisdom and statesmanship, less prone to the pressures and tensions of society. But the Senate's - and government in general's - ability to govern pre-supposes a pseudo-stable society, or at least one where people have hope their kids will have a better tomorrow.

For many, many Americans - Trumpistas and the currently dormant movement Sanders revealed - that's a huge assumption.

If the Genie is just partially out of the bottle... can we get it back in?

Deep fractures among Republicans, with a temperamental child in the White House, and Democrats biding their time to catch the energy of a rip tide of a still-angry electorate in 2018, make me think this is just one chapter in a very long book.