Thread: The Quarterback Position 2017

The Quarterback Position 2017

What are your thoughts on the QB position for 2017?

QBs:
    Troy Williams
    Tyler Huntley
    Cooper Bateman
    Jason Shelley

Should be very interesting to see what our new QB coach sees in these guys. Charlie Peterson was quick to dismiss Troy Williams as not able to read defenses well enough at the college level. Troy Williams will be a senior next year with a full year of PAC 12 starts under his belt. It's hard to dismiss that kind of experience and he did have some good games.

What I'd like to see is a two-QB system with T. Williams and T. Huntley. The reason being that it is unlikely that either QB can make it through the season without an injury. I think it can be done, especially given that everyone understands Huntley brings more speed and has a different style or role than T. Williams. And I'm just not confident that Troy Williams gives us what we'd need from a QB to win the South Division. I'd rather go 6-6 taking a gamble on an unproven QB that could possibly get us to 10-2 than go 8-4 again with Troy Williams. The offensive line will not be as good this coming season as they were last year, so the QB play is going to need to be much better for us to get to where we want to be.

Cooper Bateman is intriguing although you'd think he could have done more with the playing time he had at Alabama with all the talent around him. If Troy Williams or Tyler Huntley were to get injured during the Fall or early in the season, I'd like to see Cooper Bateman get a shot.

Jason Shelley may be a Connor Manning type player, put up huge numbers in high school but is undersized for a college QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Carne Asada View Post

QBs:
    Troy Williams
    Tyler Huntley
    Cooper Bateman
    Jason Shelley

Should be very interesting to see what our new QB coach sees in these guys. Charlie Peterson was quick to dismiss Troy Williams as not able to read defenses well enough at the college level. Troy Williams will be a senior next year with a full year of PAC 12 starts under his belt. It's hard to dismiss that kind of experience and he did have some good games.

What I'd like to see is a two-QB system with T. Williams and T. Huntley. The reason being that it is unlikely that either QB can make it through the season without an injury. I think it can be done, especially given that everyone understands Huntley brings more speed and has a different style or role than T. Williams. And I'm just not confident that Troy Williams gives us what we'd need from a QB to win the South Division. I'd rather go 6-6 taking a gamble on an unproven QB that could possibly get us to 10-2 than go 8-4 again with Troy Williams. The offensive line will not be as good this coming season as they were last year, so the QB play is going to need to be much better for us to get to where we want to be.

Cooper Bateman is intriguing although you'd think he could have done more with the playing time he had at Alabama with all the talent around him. If Troy Williams or Tyler Huntley were to get injured during the Fall or early in the season, I'd like to see Cooper Bateman get a shot.

Jason Shelley may be a Connor Manning type player, put up huge numbers in high school but is undersized for a college QB.
    Bateman isn't likely going to get much time at QB. Whitt said he'd get a look there, but he's looking more at WR or defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QBs:
    Troy Williams
    Tyler Huntley
    Cooper Bateman
    Jason Shelley

I have heard that Bateman is not really competing for a QB spot, and will be looking to find a spot at WR or defense.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Bateman isn't likely going to get much time at QB. Whitt said he'd get a look there, but he's looking more at WR or defense.

I don't think Bateman is fast enough to play WR and not physical enough to play on defense. The coaches are likely just saying he's not competing for QB in order to not offend the other QBs.

I don't think Bateman is fast enough to play WR and not physical enough to play on defense. The coaches are likely just saying he's not competing for QB in order to not offend the other QBs.
    He played WR some at Bama. And if you truly think that I don't think you know much about our coaches.

He played WR some at Bama. And if you truly think that I don't think you know much about our coaches.

If you truly think Bateman is fast enough to play WR in the PAC 12 I don't think you know much about PAC 12 football. Bateman did not play a single snap at WR during any real game. He's a good athlete, but closer to a TE than WR.

Bateman was Alabama's holder for 3 seasons, I'd like to see him resume those duties here if not starting at QB. The more I look into Bateman, the more I think he is the best QB on our roster.
    Last edited by Carne Asada; 02-01-2017 at 02:14 PM.

If you truly think Bateman is fast enough to play WR in the PAC 12 I don't think you know much about PAC 12 football. Bateman did not play a single snap at WR during any real game. He's a good athlete, but closer to a TE than WR.

Bateman was Alabama's holder for 3 seasons, I'd like to see him resume those duties here if not starting at QB. The more I look into Bateman, the more I think he is the best QB on our roster.
    I bet he does what he did at Alabama--not play or hold. He's a walk on. And it's a fact of life that hyped Utah natives are overrated. He's a prime example.

One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Let's be fair to Bateman. He won the starting job as a QB at Alabama. That is incredible. I don't think we have ever had a QB win the job at a school like Alabama before. To shrug him off as a disappointment...that is a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Let's be fair to Bateman. He won the starting job as a QB at Alabama. That is incredible. I don't think we have ever had a QB win the job at a school like Alabama before. To shrug him off as a disappointment...that is a mistake.
    Well, he played the second half against Middle Tennessee, IIRC, when Coker got pulled. He started the next game against Miss but was pulled for Coker who finished the game. He never started again I don't think.

Alabama is not really quarterback university, not since JWN.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Oops, wrong thread
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I'll just be happy to have him, and I'll keep expectations low. If he contributes, great.

The most recent QBs from Bama to win NFL games are AJ McCarron winning a regular season game in 2015 and one preseason game in 2016, Jeff Rutledge winning two games in the late 80s, Richard Todd in the early 80s, Ken Stabler (HOF) in the late 70s, and Joe Namath (HOF) in the 60s-70s.

Bateman came to Utah to play QB. It's where he will be in the spring.

If he doesn't win the job, he may move, but he's a QB right now.

Coach said that at a camp during Bateman's senior year, he was the fastest kid there. I just assumed he was a drop back QB like Bama had been using. No wonder WR seems to be an option.

On another note, there's no way I'm willing to give up two wins in '17 for the possibility that it might result in extra wins in '18. I've seen the difference that one at two more losses can make, and I'll always want sure wins now.

We've had Tommy Grady transfer from Oklahoma and Kendall Thompson transfer from Oklahoma. Oklahoma is far from QB U, but both QBs had some success at the U.

Cooper Bateman's stats at Alabama, although a small sample size, were actually quite good. Very high completion percentage. Troy Williams had some really bad stats in some games last season. At 6'3" 230, Bateman can see over the line, and may actually be a better runner than Troy Williams. I'd redshirt Huntley and play Bateman as QB1 or QB2 while we can.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    The most recent QBs from Bama to win NFL games are AJ McCarron winning a regular season game in 2015 and one preseason game in 2016, Jeff Rutledge winning two games in the late 80s, Richard Todd in the early 80s, Ken Stabler (HOF) in the late 70s, and Joe Namath (HOF) in the 60s-70s.
    I don't think Stabler is HOF.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

My bad. They put him in there after he died.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

My bad. They put him in there after he died.

Yes. They need to get a Raider in there somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Coach said that at a camp during Bateman's senior year, he was the fastest kid there. I just assumed he was a drop back QB like Bama had been using. No wonder WR seems to be an option.

On another note, there's no way I'm willing to give up two wins in '17 for the possibility that it might result in extra wins in '18. I've seen the difference that one at two more losses can make, and I'll always want sure wins now.

4.59 sec 40. Cooper has blazing speed for his size. He was two full steps faster than Jalen Hurts.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 02-01-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    4.59 sec 40. Cooper has blazing speed for his size. He was two full steps faster than Jalen Hurts.
    Put him at OLB.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Maybe he's the next Tom Brady. Brady never secured sole possession of the Qb position at Michigan until the last seven games of his career.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

I agree. Those two 5-7 seasons killed our recruiting. Look at our rankings, starting in 2010: 34, 39, 33, 53, 69, 53, 33, 33.

Can you guess what two years we went 5-7 in? Always take the wins today.

I heard that while Jason Shelley will get a look at QB but that the position he is projected to is WR.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmISir View Post
    I heard that while Jason Shelley will get a look at QB but that the position he is projected to is WR.

Really? I hadn't heard that. But it makes sense with our QB pipeline pumping out gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Really? I hadn't heard that. But it makes sense with our QB pipeline pumping out gold.
    I'm telling y'all, a QB/LB playing both ways is publicity gold (at least until the injury).

I wonder if Shelley will come in, see that he will RS as a QB, then get a chance to play as a WR as a true freshman. Then, after Williams and Bateman graduate/leave, Shelley will go back to QB next year and compete with Huntley and Tuttle for the QB spot, then make a more permanent decision on his future at that time.

Not saying that it won't happen, as we know players are sometimes moved to 1. where they're needed most, and 2. where they're likely to enjoy the most success, but, this would be news to him.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.