Thread: I bought a pressure cooker and it has changed my life.

I bought a pressure cooker and it has changed my life.

I bought a $25 pressure cooker I found at the grocery store that has changed my life. It's a simple stove-top aluminum pressure cooker. I primarily use it to cook either black beans or pinto beans, with various meats included.

Last night I made the most incredible feijoada I've ever tasted in just under an hour. I didn't even soak the black beans prior, used fresh dried black beans. If I'm cooking pinto beans, I'll soak overnight, but the black beans come out perfect in 45 min in the pressure cooker.

My feijoada:

1 lb dried black beans, comes in a convenient 1 lb package
    Garlic, I lost track, probably 6 to 10 cloves, I push the limits with garlic and have never found anything to have too much garlic.
    1 yellow onion, diced
    2 T olive oil
    2 ham hocks
    1 small pumpkin, cubed
    Several sausages, sliced
    1 pig's foot
    1 T. cayenne pepper
    1 T. cumin
    3 cups chicken stalk, 4 cups water
    Brown the ham hocks, sausages, pig's foot, onion, and garlic in the olive oil in the bottom of the pressure cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients and pressure cook for 45 min to 1 hr.

Eat an orange after you're done to help with digestion.

How is it with puppy meat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    How is it with puppy meat?

Not as good as pork but still very delicious, lamb or veal would also be very good if you insist on eating young animals.
    Last edited by Egg Salad Sandwich; 02-03-2017 at 01:30 PM.

I bought a pressure cooker and it has changed my life.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Steak and Eggs View Post
    I bought a $25 pressure cooker I found at the grocery store that has changed my life. It's a simple stove-top aluminum pressure cooker. I primarily use it to cook either black beans or pinto beans, with various meats included.
    We bought some fancy pressure cookers as Xmas presents for our kids and a less-fancy model for ourselves. It’s called the “Instant Pot,“* and is programmable. We’ll see how they work.

My middle son is a foodie and says Modern pressure cookers are the greatest thing ever. I just remember the one my family had when I was a kid, and cleaning food off the ceiling one time when the thing blew up. I understand pressure cookers have advanced quite a bit since then. Apparently they’re all the rage these days.

*Have fun with the weed jokes.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We bought some fancy pressure cookers as Xmas presents for our kids and a less-fancy model for ourselves. It’s called the “Instant Pot,“* and is programmable. We’ll see how they work.

My middle son is a foodie and says Modern pressure cookers are the greatest thing ever. I just remember the one my family had when I was a kid, and cleaning food off the ceiling one time when the thing blew up. I understand pressure cookers have advanced quite a bit since then. Apparently they’re all the rage these days.

*Have fun with the weed jokes.
    We bought a pressure cooker last year. We were excited to start using it. We tried a beef roast a few times, and were disappointed with the results. It has never come out as tender and tasty as the conventional low-and-slow in the oven or crock pot method. So for certain dishes, pressure is not a good substitute for time.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    We bought a pressure cooker last year. We were excited to start using it. We tried a beef roast a few times, and were disappointed with the results. It has never come out as tender and tasty as the conventional low-and-slow in the oven or crock pot method. So for certain dishes, pressure is not a good substitute for time.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell