Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: 2018 Football Recruiting thread

Only the occasional JUCO is actually the ideal, though Whit doesn’t want to close any doors. The top programs raresly sign a JUCO. This class represented a big stride forward.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Just building on Utah's/Whitt's comment on Lund. I don't know if I heard the same interview or a different one but Whitt remarked that Lund came to him asking to play linebacker and then said that he was thinking the same thing. He made no inference that Lund would ever play running back. I'd been told linebacker as well. The key factor will be weight. Coaches believe Lund's too heavy to be effective at linebacker at 250+.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Just building on Utah's/Whitt's comment on Lund. I don't know if I heard the same interview or a different one but Whitt remarked that Lund came to him asking to play linebacker and then said that he was thinking the same thing. He made no inference that Lund would ever play running back. I'd been told linebacker as well. The key factor will be weight. Coaches believe Lund's too heavy to be effective at linebacker at 250+.
    Do you mean too heavy to be effective at LB or at RB at 250+?

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Do you mean too heavy to be effective at LB or at RB at 250+?
    I heard the same interview. Whit said they want him to lose a few pounds to play lb.

Scratch,
    Sorry - that wasn't very clear. Concerned is right. Even at linebacker, they want him lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I heard the same interview. Whit said they want him to lose a few pounds to play lb.
    I am glad that we will have an athlete like Lund playing LB.

I really like this recruiting class. Filled some big needs as well as landed a couple of kids we haven't landed before. I have said it before and I'll say it again though, I don't understand how we are not able to effectively recruit high school linebackers. it is really missing in this class and is honestly missing in every class the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I am glad that we will have an athlete like Lund playing LB.
    Has it been decided if Lund can play this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    Has it been decided if Lund can play this year?
    No. Whit said last week that they are working on a waiver, but wont know if he can play for a couple of months

Looks like Tareke is finally in. I can only assume that the “W” stands for “well done.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It always comes down to ‘sacafrice’.

I realize that it makes the most sense to get your sacafrice from Costco, but who has that kind of storage space?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    It always comes down to ‘sacafrice’.

I moved the posts about Chris Hill's retirement to a new thread in this forum called "The New Athletic Director Thread, 2018."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

This doesn't exactly go here, maybe a 2019 recruiting thread, but Melquise Stovall, a former Ute recruit that ended up at Cal announced that he's transferring to Arizona Western. I suspect he'll be in play after this upcoming season. Because he has taken a medical redshirt, he has two to play two, I believe. Cal said he had been suspended for conduct detrimental to the team.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    This doesn't exactly go here, maybe a 2019 recruiting thread, but Melquise Stovall, a former Ute recruit that ended up at Cal announced that he's transferring to Arizona Western. I suspect he'll be in play after this upcoming season. Because he has taken a medical redshirt, he has two to play two, I believe. Cal said he had been suspended for conduct detrimental to the team.
    I remember it being a pretty ugly story. Many predicted that he would commit to Utah but there was some parental influence to go elsewhere. Then shortly after he committed to Cal, there was a significant coaching change. Don’t think he was ever happy there.

It’s also worth mentioning that his high school junior little brother visited Utah a couple months ago. Maybe it’s a package deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I remember it being a pretty ugly story. Many predicted that he would commit to Utah but there was some parental influence to go elsewhere. Then shortly after he committed to Cal, there was a significant coaching change. Don’t think he was ever happy there.

It’s also worth mentioning that his high school junior little brother visited Utah a couple months ago. Maybe it’s a package deal.

He had told Utah coaches that he was coming to Utah as late as the night before he announced Cal. He is an explosive athlete.

On another topic. My wife and I recently moved to San Diego and I met Moroni Anae at an LDS church function in our new Ward. He is the cousin of Brad Anae and walked on as a LB after serving a mission last year. He is also a cousin of Jackson Cravens, who will be joining the Utes this Fall. Moroni's parent were killed in an accident several years ago and he and his three sisters have been raised by his grandparents. His grandfather, David Cravens, played QB for the Utes in the early 60"s. Moroni was proudly wearing his Ute gear and he seems like a great kid.

The Utes just picked up a late add for this upcoming season. Big o-lineman from the JCs. The recruiting guys seemed to be all excited about him and consider him an immediate contributor. He did just take an official visit to USC, so that’s a good sign. But after doing 30 seconds of research, I see that he’s got a little bit of baggage with him. Apparently he punched out a ref a couple of years ago and was arrested, charged with battery and earned himself a significant suspension.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016...ching-referee/

So...yay!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    The Utes just picked up a late add for this upcoming season. Big o-lineman from the JCs. The recruiting guys seemed to be all excited about him and consider him an immediate contributor. He did just take an official visit to USC, so that’s a good sign. But after doing 30 seconds of research, I see that he’s got a little bit of baggage with him. Apparently he punched out a ref a couple of years ago and was arrested, charged with battery and earned himself a significant suspension.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016...ching-referee/

So...yay!?!

He didn't punch the ref. There's apparently another video out there that shows there was no actual contact and the ref just went down. That's why the charges were quickly dropped, supposedly.

The dude’s name is Beeno?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    The dude’s name is Beeno?!
    Bernard.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    He had told Utah coaches that he was coming to Utah as late as the night before he announced Cal. He is an explosive athlete.

On another topic. My wife and I recently moved to San Diego and I met Moroni Anae at an LDS church function in our new Ward. He is the cousin of Brad Anae and walked on as a LB after serving a mission last year. He is also a cousin of Jackson Cravens, who will be joining the Utes this Fall. Moroni's parent were killed in an accident several years ago and he and his three sisters have been raised by his grandparents. His grandfather, David Cravens, played QB for the Utes in the early 60"s. Moroni was proudly wearing his Ute gear and he seems like a great kid.
    Related to Siaki Cravens (former Ute for a year or so) and Su'a Cravens?