Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North by Northwest by SLC: WSU/UW Part II

North by Northwest by SLC: WSU/UW Part II

No way to slice it, last weekend sucked. We had a big time opportunity at a road win vs. Cal, and then failed to show up vs. Stanford. This team needs a healing. What's that you say? WSU and UW are coming to town? Perfect!

Game 1 is against Ernie Kent's upstart squad from the Palouse. They've won twice on the road this year (@OSU, @ASU) and boast a good rebounder in Hawkinson...but this one, much like the first, should not be close.

Game 2 is against Lorenzo Romar's group of underachieving McDonald's All-Americans. They are win-less on the road this year, and I would expect that to remain the same.

We beat these two teams by a combined 63 points last month, so this should be a nice home stand to "get well" as we get ready for the big three game roadie before wrapping up at home.

This will be a weekend of scoreboard watching with Cal in Arizona and USC hosting the Oregon schools.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Welp - we got no help from ASU last night. In fact, they looked down right terrible. Cal on the other hand looks like they are getting better, and with an RPI at 35, they may be hard to catch. We should gain a game on them on Saturday as they play Arizona.

Heading into tonight, our RPI is 79...you know the nearer your destination the more you're slip sliding away.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Welp - we got no help from ASU last night. In fact, they looked down right terrible. Cal on the other hand looks like they are getting better, and with an RPI at 35, they may be hard to catch. We should gain a game on them on Saturday as they play Arizona.

Heading into tonight, our RPI is 79...you know the nearer your destination the more you're slip sliding away.
    And wins this weekend won't help our RPI much. It may go down slightly. I was surprised to see that Washington State's RPI is higher than Washington's, ~150 and ~180 respectively.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 02-09-2017 at 08:51 AM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

If we truly are beyond hope for an at-large bid, then tonight is the first meaningless Utah basketball or football game in years. It was a pretty good streak, longer than most programs have achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    If we truly are beyond hope for an at-large bid, then tonight is the first meaningless Utah basketball or football game in years. It was a pretty good streak, longer than most programs have achieved.
    Meaningless? We are playing for seeding in the NI freakin T. A trip to Madison Square Garden could be on the line here.

On a more serious note, I hope this weekend can restore this teams confidence and mojo. It would be nice to finish out the season strong, and have some confidence going into the PAC-12 tournament. I would love to see Utah at least playing a game on Friday night in Vegas.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I would love to see Utah at least playing a game on Friday night in Vegas.
    I'd love another shot at UCLA or Arizona, even though I think we would lose again.

I think The Thrill did the breakdown on this not long ago, but according to Lunardi's last projection (RPI next to them):

Last Four byes:

Kansas St. 41
    TCU 34
    Wake Forrest 29
    Miami 50

Last Four In:
    Clemson 55
    Indiana 76
    Illinois St. (would be nice to have a head to head over them right about now...) 36
    Seton Hall 37

First Four Out:
    Cal 35
    Tennessee 33
    Ga. Tech 78
    Rhode Island 38

Next Four Out:
    Michigan 75
    Nevada 40
    Georgetown 62
    Syracuse 58

So when you look at it this way it certainly paints a bleak picture, especially with USC in and Cal out in our league. So, I suppose if there are teams we need to start watching and rooting against, this list would be a good place to start.

Tonight at 7pm (MT) on P12 Networks.

Utah defense is just sad. Brains made of jello.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Utah defense is just sad. Brains made of jello.
    Jayce will turn the tide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Jayce will turn the tide!

But it's mostly the crappy offense.

Didn't work much, I guess.

"Just watch, Utah's going to come up with something on this out of bounds play." LOL. Someone hasn't been paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    "Just watch, Utah's going to come up with something on this out of bounds play." LOL. Someone hasn't been paying attention.

Dude. Rawson stuck the ball between the rim and glass. When did you last see that?
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

North by Northwest by SLC: WSU/UW Part II

Are the Utes in a bit of a slump over the last couple of games? They don't seem like themselves at all. I mean, we are in a dog fight with Washington State on our home floor.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

This Utah team is just something -- such low BB IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Are the Utes in a bit of a slump over the last couple of games?
    Yes. We're broken right now.

The coaching staff talks to each other too much during timeouts. By the time they come up with a plan the timeout is over.

Yes...just as I expected...a victory. Woof.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

We all know about moral victories. Is there such a thing as a moral loss?

Kidding. But it is an interesting thought.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

We got lucky with Delon; otherwise forget the JC recruits. JoJo is a no show & Rawson not any better.

On the other hand Jayce is growing into himself--he even looks better (not great) running. tough rebounder & can score with his left hand.

They need to start Barefield--he does one dumb drive per game, but he moves the ball & feeds the post better than anyone else.

Nice to learn how to win a close game for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    We got lucky with Delon; otherwise forget the JC recruits. JoJo is a no show & Rawson not any better.

On the other hand Jayce is growing into himself--he even looks better (not great) running. tough rebounder & can score with his left hand.

They need to start Barefield--he does one dumb drive per game, but he moves the ball & feeds the post better than anyone else.

Nice to learn how to win a close game for a change.
    Good point. It is nice to win a close one.
    i thought Barefield had some nice passes last night.

Kuzma looked like he wasn't feeling well. Maybe he was ill.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Fultz DNP last night, and Dime slapped a heckling fan at halftime. Tomorrow is Utah fans' chance to say goodbye to Romar.

if turnovers and missed free throws were qualifiers to make the tourney, utah would be a #1 seed

Would've liked to see more Bealer, and less Rawson last night. Bealer plays good D and has plenty of offensive potential. Long and athletic. Why can't this kid get on the court?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Fultz DNP last night, and Dime slapped a heckling fan at halftime. Tomorrow is Utah fans' chance to say goodbye to Romar.
    ...and Dime is suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    What does the tweet say?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    What does the tweet say?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Fultz is out

That is too bad---I wanted to see him in person.

Time to get money down before betting line changes.