Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: California Schools new scheduling ban (LGBT related) ...

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    It's sad that you think the concept of morality only exists in a religious context. Typical, though. Do you think racism implicates morality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is it immoral to be a dickhead?

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Is it immoral to be a dickhead?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    But what if I warned you ahead of time that I am a dickhead?

But what if I warned you ahead of time that I am a dickhead?
    Then it is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So you agree with this particular political cause. Fine. I do too. The NC law is just dumb.

I don't want college athletics to be a pawn in whatever political causes seem important at the time. I prefer the games in athletics and the games in politics to mingle as infrequently as possible. I especially don't want it to be a pawn in the hands of people who care a lot about politics and may not care at all about athletics.
    Kind of like when teams refused to play BYU because of their racism?

Look, sports are fun. Sometimes, there are bigger issues than the game. Sometimes, a stand needs to be taken. Some organizations won't listen until their pocketbook is affected.

Without all the political pressure, sports teams included, BYU would still be discriminating against black people. Hell, they'd still be beer drinking polygamists.

Good for California. Just like LDS people stand up for what they believe in, California is doing the same thing.

4 states? Please. They wanna make a statement, then boycott the 31 states who have voter ID (suppression) laws on the books.

And UU is right -- if it is to be taken seriously, forfeit the games if those 4 states come up in the NCAA tourney, otherwise it's merely a weak publicity stunt and no moral fiber behind it.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Kind of like a ban on terrorist countries...just not the countries terrorists actually come from.

Right?

A new California state law has ended discussions between Cal and Kansas about a home-and-home series in men’s basketball.
    “Cal said they couldn’t do it,” Kansas Athletics spokesperson Jim Marchiony told the Lawrence Journal-World, which reported confirmation from Kansas officials of the development.
    The schools had reportedly been in preliminary talks about playing two games — one at Cal and one in Lawrence, Kansas.
    http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/0...anti-lgbt-law/

SeattleUte, your posts in this thread contain distortions and outright lies.

I debated whether to dignify such juvenile nonsense with a reply.
    Last edited by Ultimate Ute; 02-11-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Godwins law=fulfilled

</thread>

A weird new restrictive law? In California?! This is crazy!
    CARB still pisses off many people. But the air quality in California, and likewise much of the rest of the nation is far better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    4 states? Please. They wanna make a statement, then boycott the 31 states who have voter ID (suppression) laws on the books.

And UU is right -- if it is to be taken seriously, forfeit the games if those 4 states come up in the NCAA tourney, otherwise it's merely a weak publicity stunt and no moral fiber behind it.
    It has to come from the state level to affect future schedule making. Ironically this gives the schools themselves a lot of cover. Everything could become very complicated if they are forced to opt out of contracts.

NCAA games could get very dicey, however. And it may lead to all of the California teams ending up in the same bracket to avoid playing teams from the 4 States.

It would be interesting to attempt to introduce legislation to ban playing against schools from states with voter suppression laws. This could get murky because the definition of what constitutes voter suppression can be directly influenced by the current AG and the courts. Of course Kansas would be front and center on that one, thanks to Kansas AG Chris Kobach and his sophisticated Interstate Crosscheck program.

And finally, it might not matter at all anyhow. The Republicans are 28 State Legislature seats away from being able to call a Constitutional Convention, so everything could be subject to change if the Republicans get sufficiently pissed off .

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    It would be interesting to attempt to introduce legislation to ban playing against schools from states with voter suppression laws.
    Yes, and then we should stop playing schools from states with weak gun control laws. Then, states with tough abortion laws. Once California eliminates all states from future schedules, they can start thinking about intrastate scheduling. Eventually, UCLA will play USC 12 times per season, and Cal will only have scrimmages.

From the legislature's standpoint that would be a positive. All of the gate and TV and merch money gets to remain in the UC and CSU coffers, similar to us playing USU, UVU, SUU, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by northwestutefan View Post
    it has to come from the state level to affect future schedule making. Ironically this gives the schools themselves a lot of cover. Everything could become very complicated if they are forced to opt out of contracts.

Ncaa games could get very dicey, however. And it may lead to all of the california teams ending up in the same bracket to avoid playing teams from the 4 states.

It would be interesting to attempt to introduce legislation to ban playing against schools from states with voter suppression laws. This could get murky because the definition of what constitutes voter suppression can be directly influenced by the current ag and the courts. Of course kansas would be front and center on that one, thanks to kansas ag chris kobach and his sophisticated interstate crosscheck program.

And finally, it might not matter at all anyhow. The republicans are 28 state legislature seats away from being able to call a constitutional convention, so everything could be subject to change if the republicans get sufficiently pissed off .
    NCAA games against schools from those states aren't a problem, as long as they don't play at a venue in those states. It's spending money on traveling to those states that is a problem. But that could also affect bracket selection.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

A weird new restrictive law? In California?! This is crazy!
    I think Cal Berkley should be required to change their mascot from the Bears to the Delta Smelt. Or better yet, make Fresno St change to it, just to piss everyone in the V off.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.