Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017 mlb

BRING ON GAME 7! An epic World Series!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Justin Verlander is human after all!
    Disappointing. Guy gives up 5 hits in two starts in the World Series and comes away 0-1 with a no decision. He was my reason to root for the Astros. Now that he can't win it, game 7 is less interesting to me than it should be.

Justin Verlander is human after all!
    I did not realize until tonight that Verlander has never won w s game. Not everybody can be a Koufax.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I did not realize until tonight that Verlander has never won w s game. Not everybody can be a Koufax.
    I knew. It's crazy. And he has a super low postseason ERA (lower than Koufax, I think). The Tigers just became a wreck each time they made it.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I knew. It's crazy. And he has a super low postseason ERA (lower than Koufax, I think). The Tigers just became a wreck each time they made it.
    I have been a tiger fan since a guy from Detroit married my aunt. The days of Al Kaline and Norm Cash. I have always loved Verlander, and felt really bad for him tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I have been a tiger fan since a guy from Detroit married my aunt. The days of Al Kaline and Norm Cash. I have always loved Verlander, and felt really bad for him tonight.
    My dad grew up watching Kaline at tiger stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    My dad grew up watching Kaline at tiger stadium.
    If kaline had not broken his collarbone diving for a catch in June or July 1961, the tigers would have beaten the Yankees for the pennant, in case you were wondering. I hated the Yankees. The tigers were my favorite amer league team, but of course they were not the dodgers, or the nat league.

2017 mlb

Oh well. I am very disappointed. It was such a great World Series, and it was a shame to see have a seventh game that was over after the first inning and a half. But that’s sport. Congratulations to the Astros.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-02-2017 at 07:09 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I really thought that once Ethier finally broke through and got the Dodgers on the board that the floodgates would open and this would become another wild one like games 2 and 5 with Houston's bullpen struggling to find enough outs to get through the 9th. While Morton was obviously rolling I'm sure there had to be a voice in Hinch's head telling him to start using his actual relievers in the last couple of innings--credit to him for resisting that conventional thinking.

On the other hand, Roberts is under fire for not just starting Kershaw. I don't know that I blame him for not starting him, but based on Games 3 and 4 I think starting Wood made a lot more sense. I think you start Wood with Kershaw piggybacking and you can get 6 or so innings out of those two and then turn it over to your bullpen. Of course hindsight is 20/20 but Darvish got shelled both times this series and that was all that was needed for the game to be over.

The Dodgers placed this full page ad in the Houston Chronicle:

--Yeats

Nothing about the Evil Empire?

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Nothing about the Evil Empire?
    Its members were watching the Series on TV this year.

--Yeats

Its members were watching the Series on TV this year.
    Feeling very good about their "transition" year.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Feeling very good about their "transition" year.
    Well played. At least you didn't say, "Well, they've won 27 world championships, you know," which is what almost all of my New York partners say. Must be a New York thing.

--Yeats