Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 PAC12 Tournament

2017 PAC12 Tournament

Any of our Vegas or southern Utah fans interested in free tickets to Wednesday's games? We bought the tournament package, but I can't make it down until Thursday.

Utes play at 2:30 PT on Thursday against the winner of Cal/OSU. We plan on attending all the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday games.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I made a PAC12 and NCAA tournament bracket challenge if anyone's interested. A google registered email is required (doesn't have to be gmail). Just post or BM me your email if you want to play.

PAC Master Bracket

NCAA Master Bracket

Here are my predicted lines and scores.

Stanford -3 Arizona State - (78-75)
    California -15.5 Oregon State - (74-59)
    USC -8 Washington - (81-73)
    Colorado -9 Washington State - (78-69)

Oregon -12.5 Stanford - (77-65)
    Utah -1 California - (70-69)
    UCLA -9 USC - (84-75)
    Arizona -8 Colorado - (76-68)

Oregon -7 Utah - (76-69)
    UCLA -2.5 Arizona - (78-75)

UCLA -1 Oregon (79-78)

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill View Post
    Here are my predicted lines and scores.

Stanford -3 Arizona State - (78-75)
    California -15.5 Oregon State - (74-59)
    USC -8 Washington - (81-73)
    Colorado -9 Washington State - (78-69)

Oregon -12.5 Stanford - (77-65)
    Utah -1 California - (70-69)
    UCLA -9 USC - (84-75)
    Arizona -8 Colorado - (76-68)

Oregon -7 Utah - (76-69)
    UCLA -2.5 Arizona - (78-75)

UCLA -1 Oregon (79-78)
    Like so?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Bulletin board for the Utes in Vegas:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/0...-4-22-edition/
    If Cal wanted to prevent that from happening, they shouldn't have gotten their doors blown off by us by 30. Same thing for USC.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Speaking of the Trojans...

Of all the first-round match-ups that have upset potential, I think it is Washington vs. USC. If Romar could actually figure out a way to tap into all that talent he has, I think they could knock off USC.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

on the radio this morning, they were saying that Cal's losses over the weekend likely end a Utah-BYU NIT matchup. Cal is out of the tourney, and both Utah and Cal will be 2 seeds in the NIT, with the Y a 3 seed. Utah will be sent out of region as the lower 2, so Cal will play the Y. Only way we will is in Madison Sq. Garden, if the Y beats Cal. (and we get that far).

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Of all the first-round match-ups that have upset potential, I think it is Washington vs. USC. If Romar could actually figure out a way to tap into all that talent he has, I think they could knock off USC.
    I can't remember a less interesting first round than what we have on Wednesday. Good thing there are other conferences playing that day.

UCLA, Oregon, and Arizona 42-2 vs the rest of the conference. That's just nuts.

I can't remember a less interesting first round than what we have on Wednesday. Good thing there are other conferences playing that day.
    If Oregon St. beat Cal, I'd find that pretty interesting.

But I agree, the league is so top-heavy this year, it's hard to see anyone taking out the top 3.

I'm off the opinion that teams that play on Wednesday have a slight advantage going into Thursday. Those teams will have become accustomed to the lights, depth and surroundings at T-Mobile and will have a little momentum. If Cal makes quick work of the Beavers and Rabb and others don't have to play too many minutes, I think that gives them a slight advantage over Utah.

I still believe Utah will win, but it probably will be another game similar to the one we watched in Berkley vs. SLC.

Fortunately, Cal isn't very deep. Hopefully Oregon State will give them a game.

Another from Wilner - his all-conference teams:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/0...award-winners/

Of course, the real all-conference team is 10 players. So who makes 1st team? Ball, Brooks, Fultz, and Markannen are locks. After that, there are 6 spots left for about 10 players.

Another from Wilner - his all-conference teams:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/0...award-winners/

Of course, the real all-conference team is 10 players. So who makes 1st team? Ball, Brooks, Fultz, and Markannen are locks. After that, there are 6 spots left for about 10 players.
    Kuzma
    is a lock for 'first' team with his 16 points, 9 boards and 39% from downtown in conference play. Collette, Zo, and Dev (if they forgive/overlook the three game suspension) have perhaps done enough to be considered for honorable mention, if the Pac-12 does such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    on the radio this morning, they were saying that Cal's losses over the weekend likely end a Utah-BYU NIT matchup. Cal is out of the tourney, and both Utah and Cal will be 2 seeds in the NIT, with the Y a 3 seed. Utah will be sent out of region as the lower 2, so Cal will play the Y. Only way we will is in Madison Sq. Garden, if the Y beats Cal. (and we get that far).
    I think this is probably wise. Not that it matters, but if either team was to play at the other's place, they would have a legitimate gripe. It would be kind of fun to have Utes-Cougs in Madison Square Garden.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Any of our Vegas or southern Utah fans interested in free tickets to Wednesday's games? We bought the tournament package, but I can't make it down until Thursday.

Utes play at 2:30 PT on Thursday against the winner of Cal/OSU. We plan on attending all the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday games.
    Do you still have them? I will down there for work Wednesday and would be interested in the evening session if you're still offering.

Bulletin board for the Utes in Vegas:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/0...-4-22-edition/
    I typically like Wilner, but that article was kinda disckish. You'd think focusing on having 3 top 10 PAC-12 teams for the first time in I don't know how long might be a better story.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I typically like Wilner, but that article was kinda disckish. You'd think focusing on having 3 top 10 PAC-12 teams for the first time in I don't know how long might be a better story.
    Yeah, I think it's funny that he proclaims Utah to be the worst 4 seed ever, using RPI as his metric. Then, he immediately points out that, by the RPI, Arizona was a worse 4 seed in 2012.

His point is valid, though. Even if we are not the worst ever, it's pretty bad that the 4 seed in the Pac-12 is not worthy of an at-large.

Yeah, I think it's funny that he proclaims Utah to be the worst 4 seed ever, using RPI as his metric. Then, he immediately points out that, by the RPI, Arizona was a worse 4 seed in 2012.

His point is valid, though. Even if we are not the worst ever, it's pretty bad that the 4 seed in the Pac-12 is not worthy of an at-large.
    except, when was the last time the P12/P10 had 3 legit final 4 contenders. Shouldn't that be the focus? I get after the #3 seed there is a cliff type dropoff, but I'm pumped for UA, UO and UCLA

We are a victim having three potential final four teams at once in the conference at the same time. If UCLA and Oregon were only very good, we would have two more quality wins and be a lock for the tournament. I'm going to be bummed if those three crap the bed in the tournament.

I have no problem with the Wilner article. That loss to OSU is a millstone around our neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes6 View Post
    I'm going to be bummed if those three crap the bed in the tournament.
    I won't mind. It would be great to see Oregon upset as a 1-seed. Hopefully, whoever knocks them out kisses their biceps after every dunk. I won't mind if Miller starts to develop a rep for not being able to get it done at the highest level. And why would I root for a team featuring Bryce Alford?

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    Do you still have them? I will down there for work Wednesday and would be interested in the evening session if you're still offering.
    Turns out we will probably make it down in time for the evening session. Sorry.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Turns out we will probably make it down in time for the evening session. Sorry.
    Am I to interpret this as you're still offering the Utah game tickets?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Am I to interpret this as you're still offering the Utah game tickets?
    No, at this point, I am offering tickets to the 1st session on Wednesday only. We'll be there for the rest.

No, at this point, I am offering tickets to the 1st session on Wednesday only. We'll be there for the rest.
    Oh Wednesday. I somehow missed that part. Thanks for the clarification.

LK reported that he got a promising text regarding Collette, but stressed that they were still undergoing more tests.

this makes me nervous, no pic of head injury Harry ...

Utes are fueled up & ready to fly to Las Vegas!#GoUtes #ClimbTogether

Maybe this tournament will be Jayce's coming out party. One can always hope, right?

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Maybe this tournament will be Jayce's coming out party. One can always hope, right?
    We can hope for Jayce to play well and get some garbage buckets. Maybe a hook shot or two. But to replace Collette's offensive production, we need to place our hopes elsewhere.

Of course, even if Jayce plays well, there's the issue of what we do when Jayce is out of the game.