Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Offseason 2017 thread

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    That's too bad. Stanford Cal might be two winnable road games, despite last year.
    Wanna be the best, then we should play the best. Let's just see how LK is pulling it all together, or not.
    Last edited by justaute; 06-29-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Wanna be the best, the we should play the best. Let's just see how LK is pulling it all together, or not.
    Open at Oregon schools then home against AZ schools could be a tough start.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Open at Oregon schools then home against AZ schools could be a tough start.
    I would be thrilled to be 2-2 after that stretch.

Well, at least we'll get an inkling of what kind of team we might have.

According to the Trib, the Utes are "exploring options" for that final non conference game.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Multiple sources close to the Runnin' Utes have informed me that Gabe Bealer (who has had a great summer) had broken his 5th metatarsal...

While we are on the subject of the schedule, there is this......

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...es-quality-win

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Multiple sources close to the Runnin' Utes have informed me that Gabe Bealer (who has had a great summer) had broken his 5th metatarsal...

@#$%$#@@#$%!!! This better be false

Just from briefly browsing the interweb and fora of other schools, it seems as though USC is really picking up some steam on the BB front. I guess we'll see. As if contending with UA, UCLA, OSU, etc., isn't enough.

Utes picked to finish 7th in early PAC 12 power rankings. I think we could finish anywhere from 5th to 12th based on the current roster.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...nal-four-shot/

Larry was interviewed on 700 and was about as upbeat as I can remember. He was really beat down by lost years squad and he sounds refreshed by the attitudes of the players. Still believes there is a chance to add a player - Matt Mitchell - although he did not say that. Good listen.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Larry was interviewed on 700 and was about as upbeat as I can remember. He was really beat down by lost years squad and he sounds refreshed by the attitudes of the players. Still believes there is a chance to add a player - Matt Mitchell - although he did not say that. Good listen.
    Agree. I don't know if he is trying harder to model behavior he wants his players to exhibit, but he certainly was as positive as we've heard him in quite some time. Talked a lot about non-basketball stuff, which was probably refreshing for him.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Agree. I don't know if he is trying harder to model behavior he wants his players to exhibit, but he certainly was as positive as we've heard him in quite some time. Talked a lot about non-basketball stuff, which was probably refreshing for him.
    He's also probably feeling better.

My wife had to have most of her thyroid removed (non cancerous thankfully). Having that surgery was difficult and still can be. The thyroid regulates so many things and getting your levels correct can take 1-2 years.

I don't know that we really understood just what Larry was dealing with since he kept the thyroid stuff pretty quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

My wife had to have most of her thyroid removed (non cancerous thankfully). Having that surgery was difficult and still can be. The thyroid regulates so many things and getting your levels correct can take 1-2 years.

I don't know that we really understood just what Larry was dealing with since he kept the thyroid stuff pretty quiet.

Yes. Seems like Poeltl's last year, we heard about the sweet grass at some point every game. Don't remember a single reference to that or any of Larry's meditation/harmony quirks last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

The new beat writer for the Trib posted some videos today of him after practice. He looks better too...healthier, slimmer. I think you're absolutely right...that took a massive toll on him, as it would anyone.

The Utes won their Euro tour opener today against the Catalan all stars 85-70. Haven't seen a full box score yet, but I believe Bibbins had 13 points in the second half, including 3 3's.

The Utes won their Euro tour opener today against the Catalan all stars 85-70. Haven't seen a full box score yet, but I believe Bibbins had 13 points in the second half, including 3 3's.

Rawson leading all scorers?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Rawson leading all scorers?!
    You remember the non-conf schedule last season, right? Rawson kills it against lesser competition. He's just not big/fast/strong/skilled enough for the Pac-12. Or at least he wasn't.

I saw a photo of the team eating a meal at a restaurant in Barcelona. It was disturbing to me that one table had all of the white guys and the other table had all of the black guys.

They won 2 of 3 games.

Donnie Tillman getting lots of boards & points.
    Barefield leading scorer.
    Bibbins assists leader.

Not much mention of Seeley or Pop.

meh...I wouldn't read too much into it. Many of the "black" players knew each other before the U (LV or Compton connection), so they may have a more developed friendship. Plus, it sure does not help when a team goes through as many player-turnovers as we do.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I saw a photo of the team eating a meal at a restaurant in Barcelona. It was disturbing to me that one table had all of the white guys and the other table had all of the black guys.

With the Mitchell decision, the Runnin Utes look to be heading into the season with two slots available. Pretty amazing position for a P5 team to be in. How's that Grad transfer market looking these days?

Larry was on with Gunther and Hacket and said that they hope to have Bealer back by November.

This home schedule is pure crap. Michael Porter better lift Mizzou to another level. Thankfully, we get tons of tests away from home.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    This home schedule is pure crap. Michael Porter better lift Mizzou to another level. Thankfully, we get tons of tests away from home.
    I'm thinking about heading to Vegas for the ole miss/unlv/rice tourney
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

The Basketball Offseason 2017 thread

Some (mostly) off court footage from the Spain trip.

https://youtu.be/i9u2GyBtTas

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Some (mostly) off court footage from the Spain trip.

https://youtu.be/i9u2GyBtTas

Great find! This is awesome!

I listened to Riley's interview of Larry from yesterday. LK sounds very high on the kids he has now.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell