Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Offseason 2017 thread

You have to love Larry K talking about Tom Petty & Pearl Jam. Holding a fundraiser where they watch the Pearl Jam movie & donate the money to Huntsman Cancer.

He is a no BS person. Great guy to talk with if you ever get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I listened to Riley's interview of Larry from yesterday. LK sounds very high on the kids he has now.
    Twice now in interviews Larry has brought up Kobe Caldwell, a guard with unimpressive JC stats who quietly signed in August after our long recruitment of Matt Mitchell ended with him going to San Diego State. I had assumed that Caldwell was just a scholarship filler who would be gone soon. That may still be the case but I'm a little intrigued to see where this goes. With Utah having a nice recruiting class coming in and still recruiting some players on this year's team are going to be playing for their job next year (probably a couple are playing for their scholarship).

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I listened to Riley's interview of Larry from yesterday. LK sounds very high on the kids he has now.
    Was that the interview where he said someone offered him $100k for Kuzma? That's a wild story.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Was that the interview where he said someone offered him $100k for Kuzma? That's a wild story.
    If I got the story right they wanted the U to give them $100,000 to get Kuzma when we were recruiting him. ($50,000 for the official visit and $50,000 to get him to sign)

It was Kuz prep school that wanted it. The U told Kyle and the NCAA.

Kyle and his guardian ended up coming on an unofficial visit and committed. (The prep school was refusing to send a transcript, which was required for an official visit).

The prep school is still operating.

https://espn700sports.com/interviews...for-his-visit/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Twice now in interviews Larry has brought up Kobe Caldwell, a guard with unimpressive JC stats who quietly signed in August after our long recruitment of Matt Mitchell ended with him going to San Diego State. I had assumed that Caldwell was just a scholarship filler who would be gone soon. That may still be the case but I'm a little intrigued to see where this goes. With Utah having a nice recruiting class coming in and still recruiting some players on this year's team are going to be playing for their job next year (probably a couple are playing for their scholarship).
    Maybe he's found a diamond in the rough....

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    check your boardmails
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

So the media has us finishing 7th in the conference this year. That's cute.

I'm stunned they have us 7th. I'd think lower than that. Connotes some respect for LK.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I'm stunned they have us 7th. I'd think lower than that. Connotes some respect for LK.
    I agree. The roster looks like worse than 7th. But the future's bright!

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Sure. Along with the 8th we got last year. Lots of respect there.

Sort of related. They’re testing the new scoreboard at the JMHC

https://twitter.com/anc_pr/status/920010921111638021

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Sort of related. They’re testing the new scoreboard at the JMHC

https://twitter.com/anc_pr/status/920010921111638021

Thats gorgeous!

Thats gorgeous!

Here it is completed. You can see two of the new courtside screens too. The upper bowl screens aren’t turned on in this pic.

The Basketball Offseason 2017 thread

Apparently the team has a secret match up with Saint Mary’s tomorrow night. I’m not sure how much info comes out of these things, but that’s one of the better out of conference games we have lined up for the season. Nice test. (I don’t except us to do well.)

Looking over the roster, I see one PG (Bibbins). I expect Barefield to play PG when Bibbins is on the bench.

For pure SG, we have Barefield, PVD, and Popoola.

A couple of 2/3 tweeners, or guys that could play in a 3-guard lineup: Bealer, Caldwell.

SF: Seeley

PF: Tillman, Rawson. I know Rawson is the projected starter here, but I think (hope?) that Tillman can get that job.

C: Collette, Johnson, Jokl. I also hope we can see Collette/Johnson on the floor at the same time.

My starting five: Bibbins, Barefield, Bealer (killer B's), Tillman, Collette.

Go big: Bibbins, Bealer, Tillman, Collette, Johnson.

Green light from outside: Bibbins, Barefield, Bealer, PVD, Rawson and .....? Not sure about Popoola/Caldwell/Seeley.

Hopefully, either Popoola or Caldwell is good enough to push PVD for minutes.
    Last edited by sancho; 10-20-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Looking over the roster, I see one PG (Bibbins). I expect Barefield to play PG when Bibbins is on the bench.

A handful of 2/3 tweeners, or guys that could play in a 3-guard lineup: Bealer, Caldwell, Doutrive.

PF: Tillman, Rawson. I know Rawson is the projected starter here, but I think (hope?) that Tillman can get that job.

C: Collette, Johnson, Jokl. I also hope we can see Collette/Johnson on the floor at the same time.

Green light from outside: Bibbins, Barefield, Bealer, PVD, Rawson and .....? Not sure about Doutrive/Popoola/Caldwell/Seeley.

Hopefully, some subset of the Doutrive, Popoola, Caldwell trio is good enough to push PVD for minutes.
    Doutrive is not eligible to play this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

A handful of 2/3 tweeners, or guys that could play in a 3-guard lineup: Bealer, Caldwell, Doutrive.

Green light from outside: Bibbins, Barefield, Bealer, PVD, Rawson and .....? Not sure about Doutrive/Popoola/Caldwell/Seeley.

Hopefully, some subset of the Doutrive, Popoola, Caldwell trio is good enough to push PVD for minutes.
    I think Caldwell will get a look at PG, but I believe you are right. When Bibbins isn't in, I would expect Barefield to take that role. I would throw pop into that group that can play 2/3. But I read some on here who feel like he is probably a year away.

I think Tillman and Seeley should be flipped on your depth chart.

My way too early attempt at a depth chart

1-Bibbins, Caldwell
    2-Barefield, PVD
    3-Bealer, Tillman
    4-Rawson, Seeley
    5-Collette, Johnson

With Pop being able to play 1-3 and Jokl being the emergency/garbage time/foul trouble big.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    My way too early attempt at a depth chart

1-Bibbins, Caldwell
    2-Barefield, PVD
    3-Bealer, Tillman
    4-Rawson, Seeley
    5-Collette, Johnson

With Pop being able to play 1-3 and Jokl being the emergency/garbage time/foul trouble big.
    You watch....Jokl is going to emerge as our Point-Center, and you'll be eating crow!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Doutrive is not eligible to play this year.
    Thanks. I'll edit my post.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I think Tillman and Seeley should be flipped on your depth chart.
    I'm not sure why, but I'm putting a lot of hope into Tillman as a rebounder. That is one of many areas we will really miss Kuzma.

This guy ranks all 351 D1 teams: https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...o-alabama-a-m/

Utah comes in at #71:

Well-coached team that runs some fun stuff. I don't think Larry Krystkowiak's got the guys this season, though. At least, not enough to compete atop the Pac-12. David Collette's the name to know up front.
    Some of our non conf opponents this year:

37 - Mizzou
    54 - Butler
    62- BYU
    88 - Ole Miss
    148 - UNLV/303 - Rice
    171 - USU
    249 - EWU
    255 - Hawaii
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Please! Please! Please! Can we just knock off the Ducks this year? Is that too much to ask?

Yes. Yes, it is. As painful as it is for me to feel this way, Oregon has the athletes and coaching. LK, please prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Please! Please! Please! Can we just knock off the Ducks this year? Is that too much to ask?

LiAngelo Ball and 2 other UCLA freshmen arrested for shoplifting in China prior to their season opener against Ga Tech
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    LiAngelo Ball and 2 other UCLA freshmen arrested for shoplifting in China prior to their season opener against Ga Tech
    As we know from every thriller involving committing a crime on foreign soil: if you're going to get caught with a minor infraction, China is the best place to do it. Followed closely by North Korea.

As we know from every thriller involving committing a crime on foreign soil: if you're going to get caught with a minor infraction, China is the best place to do it. Followed closely by North Korea.
    It boggles the mind to think that this has happened. Who knows, but I sure hope they took ample time to explain repeatedly to these kids, "Look, if you commit a crime here you will be in serious, serious trouble that we may not be able to help you with." There is a very real chance those guys could get locked up for 3 years, or even some portion of time. It is even probable that they won't be allowed to leave the country until this is resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    It boggles the mind to think that this has happened. Who knows, but I sure hope they took ample time to explain repeatedly to these kids, "Look, if you commit a crime here you will be in serious, serious trouble that we may not be able to help you with." There is a very real chance those guys could get locked up for 3 years, or even some portion of time. It is even probable that they won't be allowed to leave the country until this is resolved.
    Already been released.