Thread: The Case For Renewable Energy

The Case For Renewable Energy

Trump recently signed an EO rolling back Obama's Clean Power Plan bill.

The problem? The market has already moved to renewable energy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Trump recently signed an EO rolling back Obama's Clean Power Plan bill.

The problem? The market has already moved to renewable energy.
    I didn't make it a paragraph in before I recognized that turd for what it was. Seriously, keep preaching to your choir, because that insanely biased bullshit won't affect anyone's perspective. Did it echo what you want to hear?

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    I didn't make it a paragraph in before I recognized that turd for what it was. Seriously, keep preaching to your choir, because that insanely biased bullshit won't affect anyone's perspective. Did it echo what you want to hear?
    Lol. I'm not surprised you couldn't make it through an entire paragraph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post

Try the first paragraph of this one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/05/b...ence&smtyp=cur

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Try the first paragraph of this one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/05/b...ence&smtyp=cur
    I'm pretty sureness DD will not make it past the newspaper name before coming to his conclusion on this.

i have to wonder though, if coal appears to be on the way out because of the regulations that are being rolled back? Will removing the regulations enable a revival of coal? I'm sure the regulations added cost and requirements that made using coal less attractive for energy producers. Will this change that?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I'm pretty sureness DD will not make it past the newspaper name before coming to his conclusion on this.

i have to wonder though, if coal appears to be on the way out because of the regulations that are being rolled back? Will removing the regulations enable a revival of coal? I'm sure the regulations added cost and requirements that made using coal less attractive for energy producers. Will this change that?

Yeah, if it isn't in Breitbart DD wont make it past the masthead. I don't think the rollback matters much, because as every article points out, utilities are planning on a 50 year horizon. Nobody thinks this rollback will last past Trump, and nobody is going to make an investment decision based on something that may be so transitory, and contrary to what many states are requiring, or what is economically feasible.

i read the other day that the entire coal mining industry employs fewer people than Arby's.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Yeah, if it isn't in Breitbart DD wont make it past the masthead. I don't think the rollback matters much, because as every article points out, utilities are planning on a 50 year horizon. Nobody thinks this rollback will last past Trump, and nobody is going to make an investment decision based on something that may be so transitory, and contrary to what many states are requiring, or what is economically feasible.

i read the other day that the entire coal mining industry employs fewer people than Arby's.
    Do you want to know what happens when a government commits to "green" and "renewable" energy?

http://globalnews.ca/news/2866214/ri...conomist-says/

This past winter, hydro bills skyrocketed. People in many rural areas were forced to choose between feeding themselves and heating their homes (that's not an exaggeration).

http://globalnews.ca/news/2796958/ru...lls-skyrocket/

The premiere of Ontario will likely loose her job in the next election because of it:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...f-preservation

Just adding an alternative "perspective" to the discussion.
    Last edited by tooblue; 04-05-2017 at 03:46 PM.

No. It is because more and more people are moving to solar and using net metering to reduce their bills. That means less money from utility companies. They need to evolve or die.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    No. It is because more and more people are moving to solar and using net metering to reduce their bills. That means less money from utility companies. They need to evolve or die.

But renewable sources are more expensive to establish and maintain than legacy coal and gas plants. Rocky Mountain Power makes me pay more if I want the power I use to somehow magically come from only renewable resources. If power companies want to be profitable with shrinking margins due to independent sold use, it doesn't make sense for them to give up on cheaper, legacy sources unless regulations forces them to, or the government into subsidizes or incentivized renewable sources.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 04-05-2017 at 09:12 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

But renewable sources are more expensive to establish and maintain than legacy coal and gas plants. Rocky Mountain Power makes me pay more if I want the power I use to somehow magically come from only renewable resources. If power companies want to be profitable with shrinking margins due to independent sold use, it doesn't make sense for them to give up on cheaper, legacy sources unless regulations forces them to, or the government into subsidizes or incentivized renewable sources.

It is more expensive in the short term, but much cheaper in the long term. They are looking 50 years down the road here.

It appears we're hitting a tipping point with renewables.

https://thinkprogress.org/renewables...s-b2e7c5915c1f