Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: President Thomas S. Monson

President Thomas S. Monson

Just heard from a close friend with medical connections that Thomas Monson has passed away this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Just heard from a close friend with medical connections that Thomas Monson has passed away this afternoon.

wow

You have great connections, Dwight. Nothing publicly announced yet, but the church PR folks must have been prepared for this.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You have great connections, Dwight. Nothing publicly announced yet, but the church PR folks must have been prepared for this.

Ben Winslow apparently heard the same things, posted this in the last 10 minutes.

KSL and the DNews also stating the reports of his death are incorrect.

Yeah. I haven't seen a confirmation yet. My source is a surgeon, so I'm giving him some time before I give up him. But once I do, he's getting roasted.

Yeah. I haven't seen a confirmation yet. My source is a surgeon, so I'm giving him some time before I give up him. But once I do, he's getting roasted.
    SALT LAKE CITY — LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson continued to rest and recover in the hospital late Wednesday afternoon, despite unfounded rumors that he had died.

Eric Hawkins, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said the church was aware of the rumors, but Hawkins confirmed at 3:20 p.m. that President Monson was alive.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...afternoon.html

What you may do to your friend pales in comparison to what we will do to you. Be afraid.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

When rumors like this fly, it usually means they are premature.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    When rumors like this fly, it usually means they are premature.
    It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.

-- Yogi Berra

--Yeats

With apologies to Dwight, I revised the thread title so it's a bit more generic.

--Yeats

Beware the HIPAA violation

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    A newscaster who lived in my aunt's ward told me that he originally wrote Pres. Hinckley's obituary 4-5 years before he died, and tweaked it over time.

When the day finally came he was able to go on camera and report the news with a polished story that he could not have written in the few short minutes between the time the news broke and he had to announce it.

PR and news people are we prepared for the eventuality, despite DS pushing for an earlier announcement.

And he's been released from the hospital....remind me to not let DS's friend do surgery on me

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    A newscaster who lived in my aunt's ward told me that he originally wrote Pres. Hinckley's obituary 4-5 years before he died, and tweaked it over time.

When the day finally came he was able to go on camera and report the news with a polished story that he could not have written in the few short minutes between the time the news broke and he had to announce it.

PR and news people are we prepared for the eventuality, despite DS pushing for an earlier announcement.
    This is typical for all major figures, both internationally and locally. There are those who will beat the media to the punch -- I don't think news media as a whole was prepared for Prince's death at all.

President Thomas S. Monson

My roommate during school was a local TV news reporters in SLC. One day he came home and I asked him how his day had gone. He said it had been a slow news day so he worked on "the Kimball obit." This was a few years before President Kimball was ill. My roomie told me that he updated the video obituary regularly to keep it current and ready to go.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-17-2017 at 11:04 AM.

--Yeats

And there have been a handful of occasions when those pre-made obits have been accidentally published. Always funny...and awkward for the person who isn't dead.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    This is typical for all major figures, both internationally and locally. There are those who will beat the media to the punch -- I don't think news media as a whole was prepared for Prince's death at all.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

President Monson basically homebound....

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44358841&nid...gular-meetings
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

President Monson passed away earlier today.

President Monson passed away earlier today.

Good thing you verified it this time.

President Monson was an amazing man. I’ll miss him.

--Yeats

I read the last two talks he gave in General Conference this morning. Both were very short. One was a simple reminder to be more kind. The other encouraged members to read The Book of Mormon more. Both were great.

Sad but not unexpected news. 90 is a pretty darn good run, especially when you spend your life serving others the way he did.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I guess Russell M Nelson is the next man up. He's 93 and looking pretty frail. Three years ago I was a Mountain Host at Park City and was asked to take a photo of him with other family members skiing. He did okay. I hope I am skiing at 90.

the final "closed quote"

what a great example of serve

I don't read Meridian Magazine much but I saw this article from this morning and was very impressed. The author shares some personal experiences he had with President Monson and the piece is very much worth reading:

https://ldsmag.com/life-lessons-from...-fnEE.facebook

Such an admirable man.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-03-2018 at 08:56 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I guess Russell M Nelson is the next man up. He's 93 and looking pretty frail. Three years ago I was a Mountain Host at Park City and was asked to take a photo of him with other family members skiing. He did okay. I hope I am skiing at 90.
    Recently I had an opportunity to interact with President Nelson. He may be getting frail physically but mentally he is as sharp as ever. In the course of the situation I asked him if he had any special requests or something he would like me to do and he joked, "I'll tell you what, I'll trust you to do your job if you trust me to do mine." It immediately put everyone at ease.

The old guard that have been fixtures in the church my entire life are moving on... I think the church will be quite a bit different in some ways a decade from now.
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 01-03-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Good thing you verified it this time.
    I bet you felt better prepared for the news last night!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    The old guard that have been fixtures in the church my entire life are moving on... I think the church will be quite a bit different in some ways a decade from now.
    Pres. Nelson will be calling two new apostles. That's four new apostles in the last 2.5 years. Pretty big change -- one-third of the Quorum -- in a short period of time.

--Yeats