Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Kyle Kuzma Thread

Hybrid View

The Kyle Kuzma Thread

DraftExpress updated their mock draft for the first time in two weeks yesterday. They have Kuzma going 55th to the Celtics. I am on record as saying that I think he will ultimately keep his name in. Here is an option that hasn't gotten much talk.........he could be a lifelong draft and stash.

Two years ago, the Jazz took Olivier Hanlan from BC in the middle of the second round. After summer league, it was obvious he wasn't going to make the team (he was, coincidentally, a guy who had left after his junior year). The Jazz maintained his rights and he went off to Europe to play. Fast forward to 2016. The spurs are looking to dump Boris Diaw's salary and the Jazz use Hanlan as a trade piece. I dont think anyone plans on him joining the league anytime soon, but draft and stash guys can be a trade chip for teams looking to do a salary dump. Might be an option for Kuzma.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    DraftExpress updated their mock draft for the first time in two weeks yesterday. They have Kuzma going 55th to the Celtics. I am on record as saying that I think he will ultimately keep his name in. Here is an option that hasn't gotten much talk.........he could be a lifelong draft and stash.

Two years ago, the Jazz took Olivier Hanlan from BC in the middle of the second round. After summer league, it was obvious he wasn't going to make the team (he was, coincidentally, a guy who had left after his junior year). The Jazz maintained his rights and he went off to Europe to play. Fast forward to 2016. The spurs are looking to dump Boris Diaw's salary and the Jazz use Hanlan as a trade piece. I dont think anyone plans on him joining the league anytime soon, but draft and stash guys can be a trade chip for teams looking to do a salary dump. Might be an option for Kuzma.
    Probably still sounds better than another year of college listening to your coach complain about the lack of leadership of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kuzma got his combine invite today. Not a go d sign for those hoping he's back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Kuzma got his combine invite today. Not a go d sign for those hoping he's back next year.

For the sake of everyone involved lets hope he makes his decision quickly.

Invites to the combine come straight from the league's GMs, so to get one means he is very much on the radar. I think only 70 or so invites go out, and that's total.

Did Eric mika get one? Haven't seen it reported so maybe he didn't

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Did Eric mika get one? Haven't seen it reported so maybe he didn't
    They are rolled out over the next couple days. So he still might.

They are rolled out over the next couple days. So he still might.
    Apparently he just got one.

Apparently he just got one.
    Good, let's hope he impresses.

If Kuzma bolts we are in some trouble......if Mike bolts......they are BAD.

Kuzma just announced he is hiring an agent and staying in.

I wish him well. He has worked his tail off and become a significantly better player each and every year. I dont know what his draft prospects are, but I do hope he sees success.

Not a surprise at all, but it is a bummer.

Next season looks rough right now. We need 1-2 of the returning players to make a Kuzma sized leap, and we need at least one of the newcomers to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Not a surprise at all, but it is a bummer.

Next season looks rough right now. We need 1-2 of the returning players to make a Kuzma sized leap, and we need at least one of the newcomers to be good.
    Which I think means Larry needs to bring in at least one more eligible for next year. Which might need to be his biggest miracle yet.

Larry put out a very nice statement, which was the right thing to do. I agree with what has been said, he's gotta pull a rabbit out of his hat and get someone in here for this season...maybe another graduate transfer?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    So, no one is going to give credit to Larry for punting him? You can't fix Daniels. And, yet, most of you don't give a shit. You think Larry sucks because he didn't keep Daniels because all you see is he had talent. And Larry should have magically changed his character.

Larry made a big boy, responsible decision to correct a cultural problem with his team. He took a big risk in doing so because he lost a kid who could play basketball. But he gained a big-time fan in me and in the rest of his players. He also sent a message to every player that they better buy in or he will punt them regardless of their alleged skill. I'm going all in and say it pays off. But of course, we can't compare because we would only have the "would we be better with Daniels" hypothetical that can never be proved.

The coach at Utah State had a chance to have a front line and a point guard this year that would have won him the MWC championship--period. Instead, he backed, defended and justified the actions of his first big-time JC recruit who caused chemistry problems, caused people to leave and ultimately didn't end up playing much his last year. Because said coach rode the wrong horse, he went from winning the MWC and being the hot new name in hoops to getting his ass fired as soon as next year ends.

He chose wrong. And it had everything to do with chemistry and culture.

Larry is the best coach we've had at Utah since Majerus and a top 3 of all time already. He's proven he can coach. I'm all in next year on supporting a team that will lack a bit of athleticism but will play hard and will be fun to watch.
    Top three? I'd put Vadel Peterson, Jack Gardner, Jerry Pimm and Maji ahead of him. He may jump a few before he's done, but he isn't there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Top three? I'd put Vadel Peterson, Jack Gardner, Jerry Pimm and Maji ahead of him. He may jump a few before he's done, but he isn't there yet.
    He could jump Pimm if he sticks around and keeps doing what he is doing. To jump Maji he's got to get to a NCAA final and to jump The Silver Fox he needs to make two Final Fours.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

After a solid showing yesterday in 5 on 5, Kuzma is not playing today, per Chad Ford.

After a solid showing yesterday in 5 on 5, Kuzma is not playing today, per Chad Ford.

What would our record have been if Kuzma had played like he did yesterday in three or four of our games?

What would our record have been if Kuzma had played like he did yesterday in three or four of our games?
    Better, but still, he played well enough to be on the all-conference first team. He had a great season. If it had been more great, that would have been more better.

Kuzma did an AMA on Twitter yesterday. I hesitated to check it out because kids and twitter.

It turned out great though. I highly recommend. He handled it well.

Here's the start.

https://twitter.com/kylekuzma/status/864575159780421634

Makes me like him more and wish he was coming back. You can feel the maturity coming through.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Kuzma did an AMA on Twitter yesterday. I hesitated to check it out because kids and twitter.

It turned out great though. I highly recommend. He handled it well.

Here's the start.

https://twitter.com/kylekuzma/status/864575159780421634

Makes me like him more and wish he was coming back. You can feel the maturity coming through.

I read one of those AMA's from Joe Ingles of the Jazz a few weeks ago and it was enough to turn me off of them.......he only took questions like 'Hey Joe, tell us what vegemite tastes like?', 'could you beat up Rudy Gobert?'

Kuzma actually took some tough questions and I thought gave good, insightful answers. Ive always thought hed make a good radio guy once his playing days are over.

Starting this year, the NBA will have two "two-way" contracts per team. These are for kids to go back and forth from the DL and the NBA. The contract pays between $75,000 and $250,000 depending on how much time they spend in the NBA.

If he can get one of those deals, then it's a no brainer to declare for the draft.

$75,000+ and working on your game full time under the direction of your NBA team or college? NBA all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I think the NBA needs to let every team have 8 of these contracts per team. Then, expand the draft to four or five rounds. Allow kids to enter the draft out of high school. First and second round picks have to play. Third round and lower can go to college if they want BUT if you go to college you aren't eligible for the draft for three years.
    Similar to MLB. I kind of like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Starting this year, the NBA will have two "two-way" contracts per team. These are for kids to go back and forth from the DL and the NBA. The contract pays between $75,000 and $250,000 depending on how much time they spend in the NBA.

If he can get one of those deals, then it's a no brainer to declare for the draft.

$75,000+ and working on your game full time under the direction of your NBA team or college? NBA all the way.
    I think this is one of the big reasons why fringe prospects like Eric Mika opted to stay in. Get the training and development you need and get paid a decent salary? It would be enticing, thats for sure.

I think it would be interesting to see the NBA have its various salary/free agency countdown clocks start running from a fixed point regardless of whether or not someone is in college or in the NBA. For example, say a player can first be eligible for free agency at a certain age, and set minimum salaries not at levels of experience in the league but at the player's age. For example, say the rule is that you can first become a restricted free agent at the age of 23. That means that someone who comes into the league at 19 would would essentially have a 4-year fixed contract (like the league does now depending on where you are picked) that would run until the player is 23, at which point they would become a restricted free agent. Now, if someone enters the league at 21, then they would get a 2-year deal (with those 2 years being compensated at the same rate as though they had been drafted at a younger age) and become a restricted free agent at 23. One of the big issues for these kids entering the league early isn't the money they're leaving on the table the first couple of years, but the delay that they face before they can start getting lucrative free agent deals.

Kuzma will work out with the Jazz tomorrow, as will David Collette.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I think it would be interesting to see the NBA have its various salary/free agency countdown clocks start running from a fixed point regardless of whether or not someone is in college or in the NBA. For example, say a player can first be eligible for free agency at a certain age, and set minimum salaries not at levels of experience in the league but at the player's age. For example, say the rule is that you can first become a restricted free agent at the age of 23. That means that someone who comes into the league at 19 would would essentially have a 4-year fixed contract (like the league does now depending on where you are picked) that would run until the player is 23, at which point they would become a restricted free agent. Now, if someone enters the league at 21, then they would get a 2-year deal (with those 2 years being compensated at the same rate as though they had been drafted at a younger age) and become a restricted free agent at 23. One of the big issues for these kids entering the league early isn't the money they're leaving on the table the first couple of years, but the delay that they face before they can start getting lucrative free agent deals.

I think that would encourage teams to draft younger players and would end up encouraging more kids to leave at a younger age.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I think that would encourage teams to draft younger players and would end up encouraging more kids to leave at a younger age.
    Yep. A further erosion of the quality of college bb.

I think the NBA needs to let every team have 8 of these contracts per team. Then, expand the draft to four or five rounds. Allow kids to enter the draft out of high school. First and second round picks have to play. Third round and lower can go to college if they want BUT if you go to college you aren't eligible for the draft for three years.

I agree it would encourage kids to leave earlier which would erode the college game at some level.

BUT, if you did the three year rule, it would at least keep kids in college that actually attend.

While in some ways the college game would suffer, it would stabilize and get better in other ways as well.