Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Kyle Kuzma Thread

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Kuzma did an AMA on Twitter yesterday. I hesitated to check it out because kids and twitter.

It turned out great though. I highly recommend. He handled it well.

Here's the start.

https://twitter.com/kylekuzma/status/864575159780421634

Makes me like him more and wish he was coming back. You can feel the maturity coming through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read one of those AMA's from Joe Ingles of the Jazz a few weeks ago and it was enough to turn me off of them.......he only took questions like 'Hey Joe, tell us what vegemite tastes like?', 'could you beat up Rudy Gobert?'

Kuzma actually took some tough questions and I thought gave good, insightful answers. Ive always thought hed make a good radio guy once his playing days are over.

Starting this year, the NBA will have two "two-way" contracts per team. These are for kids to go back and forth from the DL and the NBA. The contract pays between $75,000 and $250,000 depending on how much time they spend in the NBA.

If he can get one of those deals, then it's a no brainer to declare for the draft.

$75,000+ and working on your game full time under the direction of your NBA team or college? NBA all the way.

I think the NBA needs to let every team have 8 of these contracts per team. Then, expand the draft to four or five rounds. Allow kids to enter the draft out of high school. First and second round picks have to play. Third round and lower can go to college if they want BUT if you go to college you aren't eligible for the draft for three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I think the NBA needs to let every team have 8 of these contracts per team. Then, expand the draft to four or five rounds. Allow kids to enter the draft out of high school. First and second round picks have to play. Third round and lower can go to college if they want BUT if you go to college you aren't eligible for the draft for three years.
    Similar to MLB. I kind of like it.

Starting this year, the NBA will have two "two-way" contracts per team. These are for kids to go back and forth from the DL and the NBA. The contract pays between $75,000 and $250,000 depending on how much time they spend in the NBA.

If he can get one of those deals, then it's a no brainer to declare for the draft.

$75,000+ and working on your game full time under the direction of your NBA team or college? NBA all the way.
    I think this is one of the big reasons why fringe prospects like Eric Mika opted to stay in. Get the training and development you need and get paid a decent salary? It would be enticing, thats for sure.

I think it would be interesting to see the NBA have its various salary/free agency countdown clocks start running from a fixed point regardless of whether or not someone is in college or in the NBA. For example, say a player can first be eligible for free agency at a certain age, and set minimum salaries not at levels of experience in the league but at the player's age. For example, say the rule is that you can first become a restricted free agent at the age of 23. That means that someone who comes into the league at 19 would would essentially have a 4-year fixed contract (like the league does now depending on where you are picked) that would run until the player is 23, at which point they would become a restricted free agent. Now, if someone enters the league at 21, then they would get a 2-year deal (with those 2 years being compensated at the same rate as though they had been drafted at a younger age) and become a restricted free agent at 23. One of the big issues for these kids entering the league early isn't the money they're leaving on the table the first couple of years, but the delay that they face before they can start getting lucrative free agent deals.

Kuzma will work out with the Jazz tomorrow, as will David Collette.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I think it would be interesting to see the NBA have its various salary/free agency countdown clocks start running from a fixed point regardless of whether or not someone is in college or in the NBA. For example, say a player can first be eligible for free agency at a certain age, and set minimum salaries not at levels of experience in the league but at the player's age. For example, say the rule is that you can first become a restricted free agent at the age of 23. That means that someone who comes into the league at 19 would would essentially have a 4-year fixed contract (like the league does now depending on where you are picked) that would run until the player is 23, at which point they would become a restricted free agent. Now, if someone enters the league at 21, then they would get a 2-year deal (with those 2 years being compensated at the same rate as though they had been drafted at a younger age) and become a restricted free agent at 23. One of the big issues for these kids entering the league early isn't the money they're leaving on the table the first couple of years, but the delay that they face before they can start getting lucrative free agent deals.

I think that would encourage teams to draft younger players and would end up encouraging more kids to leave at a younger age.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I think that would encourage teams to draft younger players and would end up encouraging more kids to leave at a younger age.
    Yep. A further erosion of the quality of college bb.

This stuff interests me about as much as offerings at the local fabric store. I couldn't care less about economics of the NBA underclass.

Probably college basketball will go the way of circuses.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    This stuff interests me about as much as offerings at the local fabric store. I couldn't care less about economics of the NBA underclass.

Probably college basketball will go the way of circuses.
    Seconded. I like to see our athletic alumni succeed on the field at the next level, but until I start seeing cuts from their paycheck in my bank account, their contracts or the salary structure in their league are absolutely meaningless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Seconded. I like to see our athletic alumni succeed on the field at the next level, but until I start seeing cuts from their paycheck in my bank account, their contracts or the salary structure in their league are absolutely meaningless to me.
    Hopefully these changes spur changes in how college athletes are reimbursed. That is how those changes might spark your interest.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I agree it would encourage kids to leave earlier which would erode the college game at some level.

BUT, if you did the three year rule, it would at least keep kids in college that actually attend.

While in some ways the college game would suffer, it would stabilize and get better in other ways as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Hopefully these changes spur changes in how college athletes are reimbursed. That is how those changes might spark your interest.
    You've clearly been paying attention all these years. I am for any measure that pays college athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    You've clearly been paying attention all these years. I am for any measure that pays college athletes.
    That pays them more, you mean. They're already rewarded handsomely.

An interesting read on how the new 'G-League' might impact the basketball world. I don't know if there is a perfect solution here, but I think there is a better way than the current way things are being done.

https://theringer.com/nba-draft-adam...s-51cc9cfbc034

I have very little interest in watching the NBA. The game today does not resemble basketball as I know it. Every screen up top is a moving screen. Guys cannot dribble without palming the ball. It just doesn't interest me at all. I have never watched a D-League game and cannot imagine doing it. If the NBA is set on further encroaching on college basketball, I guess I won't watch basketball anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I have very little interest in watching the NBA. The game today does not resemble basketball as I know it. Every screen up top is a moving screen. Guys cannot dribble without palming the ball. It just doesn't interest me at all. I have never watched a D-League game and cannot imagine doing it. If the NBA is set on further encroaching on college basketball, I guess I won't watch basketball anymore.
    I swear I saw Curry grab the ball and dribble again at least 3 times sunday night. One of them was the play where he "blew by" LeBron (after picking the ball up to shoot).

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/d...raveled-060517

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    An interesting read on how the new 'G-League' might impact the basketball world. I don't know if there is a perfect solution here, but I think there is a better way than the current way things are being done.

https://theringer.com/nba-draft-adam...s-51cc9cfbc034
    What can yo do for people who'd rather earn a legal secretary's salary or less a year or two earlier, rather than get a college BA or advanced degree, become associated forever with one of America's premier brands, become part of history, and find a place in the affections of influential and powerful people. Not much, apparently.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

What rights, if any, does the NCAA have?

What rights would the NCAA have if they paid players in lieu of scholarships? Could the NCAA then sign kids to a dollar amount equal to the cost of attendance for three years?

What rights, if any, does the NCAA have?

What rights would the NCAA have if they paid players in lieu of scholarships? Could the NCAA then sign kids to a dollar amount equal to the cost of attendance for three years?
    If the NCAA starts paying players more than they already do, I want a draft. Forget recruiting. If we're trying to be a minor league, we should go all in. No more scholarships, either. Just a paycheck. No classes or eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    If the NCAA starts paying players more than they already do, I want a draft. Forget recruiting. If we're trying to be a minor league, we should go all in. No more scholarships, either. Just a paycheck. No classes or eligibility.
    The colleges won't go there. They'll just say forget it. You all want a minor league rather than big-time college sports and all that goes with it, go for it!

The only people really hurt will be the all the players except the super duper stars, and anyone who wants to make a career in college sports.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

University of Michigan's total budget is $7.05 billion. That's a fortune 400 company. Its total athletic budget is $154 million, a small business, and a subsidiary producing a little over 2% of the total revenues that loses money--that most university administrators would be glad to see extinguished.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

We are a week and a half out from the draft now, and there is still a lot of guessing about where Kuzma goes. NBAdraft.net has him at 20. Draftexpress has him at 43.

I think he is in Philly today working out. He'd fit in nicely next to Embiid.

https://twitter.com/espn700bill/stat...00429376978944

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

http://newarena.com/nba/2017-nba-moc...xt=fb_506_both

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Both DraftExpress and SoCalPat's buddy (kidding!) Chad Ford have moved Kuz to 28 to the Lakers. Ford had Kuz at 52 yesterday. Makes me think he got some intel (or hes copying others).

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Both DraftExpress and SoCalPat's buddy (kidding!) Chad Ford have moved Kuz to 28 to the Lakers. Ford had Kuz at 52 yesterday. Makes me think he got some intel (or hes copying others).
    In Larry K's interview yesterday, he said he expected Kuz to go b/w 24-30, but couldnt say why. He has some intel too. so I may lose my bet to Ma'ake.

So, does the fact we had 3 first round NBA guys on the roster 2 years ago make you Larry can find/develop these players, or sad that we only got to the Sweet 16?