Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
So, no one is going to give credit to Larry for punting him? You can't fix Daniels. And, yet, most of you don't give a shit. You think Larry sucks because he didn't keep Daniels because all you see is he had talent. And Larry should have magically changed his character.

Larry made a big boy, responsible decision to correct a cultural problem with his team. He took a big risk in doing so because he lost a kid who could play basketball. But he gained a big-time fan in me and in the rest of his players. He also sent a message to every player that they better buy in or he will punt them regardless of their alleged skill. I'm going all in and say it pays off. But of course, we can't compare because we would only have the "would we be better with Daniels" hypothetical that can never be proved.

The coach at Utah State had a chance to have a front line and a point guard this year that would have won him the MWC championship--period. Instead, he backed, defended and justified the actions of his first big-time JC recruit who caused chemistry problems, caused people to leave and ultimately didn't end up playing much his last year. Because said coach rode the wrong horse, he went from winning the MWC and being the hot new name in hoops to getting his ass fired as soon as next year ends.

He chose wrong. And it had everything to do with chemistry and culture.

Larry is the best coach we've had at Utah since Majerus and a top 3 of all time already. He's proven he can coach. I'm all in next year on supporting a team that will lack a bit of athleticism but will play hard and will be fun to watch.
I was on a team that had awful chemistry. The stars (who were seniors) were colossal douchebags. We underperformed in a big way that year. Those guys graduated, team chemistry improved dramatically and we dominated the following year with supposedly lesser talent.

Utah is a school that need to play team ball to win, period. We aren't going to get the one and done guys who elevate the entire program, so why undermine this critical element. I totally support Larry in his decision. Of course, his butt is on the line now.