Thread: The Handmaid's Tale is just like Trump's America? Not so fast

The Handmaid's Tale is just like Trump's America? Not so fast

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-trump-america

We all, after all, possess varying levels of complicity with the culture that produced and rewarded Donald Trump. We all compromise for the sake of our comfort, and we all to one degree or another turn a blind eye to suffering that does not directly affect us.

But how much easier to tell ourselves society hates us, how much easier to use those stories to justify violence and war. Claiming victimhood, though, is a quick and easy way to absolve us of our responsibility, without the hard work of reconciling it.

It's ridiculous and downright hysterical to claim that anything like the scenario in The Handmaid's Tale is likely happen in America -- ever. It's even sillier to think Trump's (unfortunate) election is a harbinger of any such thing happening. Some people need their Valium.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It's ridiculous and downright hysterical to claim that anything like the scenario in The Handmaid's Tale is likely happen in America -- ever. It's even sillier to think Trump's (unfortunate) election is a harbinger of any such thing happening. Some people need their Valium.
    You would think highly educated, generally good, kind and sensitive people would recognize how ridiculous comparing the Handmaid's Tale, in any way, to the current landscape is ridiculous. But my Facebook wall has been blowing up with links to the articles, mentioned and rightfully criticized by this author in this article, doing just that. It is unfathomable.

Once upon a time, I unfriended several people on social media who regularly crossed the line in their irrational hate for and criticism of Obama. I am at that threshold again, but with the many very liberal friends I have. It's lunacy.