Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Football Scheduling Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    https://www.deseret.com/2020/2/17/21...ootball-series

Home and home with LSU, right about when I'll have 8 or 9 grandchildren. Currently I have none.

Will come on the heels of HH with Arkansas. As my kids might say, "my, that escalated quickly."

I've been to one game in Baton Rouge. It's a great game day experience. I might have to go...if college football is still around in the 30's.

You don't need to go back but a year in this thread to find us lamenting the sorry state of Utah non-conference scheduling.

Since then, we've landed H-H with three SEC schools -- Florida, LSU and Arkansas.

We've got three solid G5 H-H series with Houston, San Diego State and Wyoming. Plus a H-H with Baylor starting in 2023. Some of those were signed under Hill, but the real sizzle in our non-conference scheduling is 100 percent attributable to Mark Harlan and his staff. Just a real bang up job of delivering for the fans, many of whom weren't buying what some scheduling apologists were saying about Utah's scheduling approach.

Harlan also clearly doesn't subscribe to the A-B-C line of thinking in football scheduling.

2020: B-B-C (BYU, Wyoming, Montana State)
    2021: B-B-C (BYU, San Diego State, Weber State)
    2022: A-B-C (Florida, San Diego State, Southern Utah)
    2023: A-A-C (Florida, Baylor, Weber State)
    2024: A-B-C (Baylor, BYU, SUU)
    2025: B-B-open date (BYU, Wyoming)
    2026: A-B-B (Arkansas, Houston, BYU -- unless something happens in Pac-12 scheduling, this will be our first year without a FCS opponent since we joined the league)
    2027: B-B-open date (BYU, Houston)
    2028: A-B-open date (Arkansas, BYU)
    2029-30: no games scheduled
    2031-32: A (LSU)

I don't know what to make of 2025-27. Today, I'd predict that those slots go to FCS schools. But Harlan has committed himself in 2026 to not play an FCS team. I could totally see letting the 2023 season play out with two A games in the non-con, and if we can handle that, using the open 2025 date to play a marquee A game in Vegas. Those are all one-off games, scheduled much later in the game than most H-H series.

Harlan was hamstrung by the agreements he inherited, so the next two years are still Sucksville as far as the non-con is concerned. But his mark on scheduling is clear from 2022 and beyond. He'll have an expanded stadium to fill, and the status quo for our first decade in the Pac-12 simply was not going to cut it.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 02-20-2020 at 12:52 PM.

I still would love to see Iowa on the schedule. Maybe those 2025/2027 dates would work.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I still would love to see Iowa on the schedule. Maybe those 2025/2027 dates would work.
    Per FBS schedules, Iowa does have an opening in 2025 (they don't show beyond that for them). In 2025, they are @Iowa St. and host N. Illinois. We are @BYU and host Wyoming. I suspect they'd want the home game first, which would work for us because we only have 4 league road games that year. In 2027, we host Houston and play at BYU, so again, it would probably work for us.

Regardless, I'd love to see a Big Ten school on the horizon in the schedule.

Other Big Ten teams with those years available: Northwestern, Wisconsin, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Ohio St. (play Texas and Washington in Columbus in 2025), Penn St., Rutgers.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Home games with Dixie St. added in 2028 and 2030.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    According to Scotty G on 1280, Utah was offered this deal and turned it down.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    According to Scotty G on 1280, Utah was offered this deal and turned it down.
    I'm fine playing USU as long as byu is dropped that year. Playing both USU and byu in the same year does nothing for the Utes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    I'm fine playing USU as long as byu is dropped that year. Playing both USU and byu in the same year does nothing for the Utes.
    Yeah. We're not even playing northern Illinois!!!!!

This would be great. Maybe the pandemic can help us change how we do all the idiotic things we do in college football.