Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Football Scheduling Thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Baylor was left out because of no conference championship game, a shared title with another team and Ohio St beating the living snot out of someone.

Had Baylor and TCU played each other, the winner would have gotten in over Ohio State.

Baylor is not a good example.

Oh, and if I remember correctly, TCU's non-conference was garbage as well that year.

You never address this (because it doesn't fit your narrative) but what about Oklahoma and USC last year? Both scheduled up, both lost, and both were kept out of the playoffs because of it.

What happens is Oklahoma doesn't play Houston or Ohio State and goes undefeated? They are in.

What about USC? If they don't have that murder's row to start the season, play SJSU instead if Alabama, are they more rested and hold us off, and then you have two, one loss teams in the PAC-12 title game.

There is no argument for scheduling up.

What about Stanford a few years ago when they started the year vs Northwestern? If they beat up on Fresno St instead, they are in the playoffs.

I could go on and on.
    And Washington, with it's 58th SOS at 12-1, is out.

Lol. Try again. When did they play in the conference title game?

Way to try to mislead though.

Lol. Try again. When did they play in the conference title game?

Way to try to mislead though.
    It's not my fault you don't clarify your points. The point is, Baylor did beat TCU. Having to beat them a second time doesn't apply, nor has that ever been a standard for getting into the playoff.

By the time Baylor rolls around Whittingham will most likely be retired. In the meantime our OOC is unbearable.

I wish the program would just buy out all of the FCS games (starting with 2018) and be done with those garbage games.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    It's not my fault you don't clarify your points. The point is, Baylor did beat TCU. Having to beat them a second time doesn't apply, nor has that ever been a standard for getting into the playoff.
    I didn't clarify my point? Lol. The whole two paragraphs were about conference championship games. You completely took my sentence out of context.

Even what you quoted shows that.

And Washington, with it's 58th SOS at 12-1, is out.
    Probably. Good thing other teams were dumb enough to schedule up OOC, right? Lol.

I agree about your G5 scheduling...but it will never happen with Whitt as coach. Ok, maybe it happens once but don't count on it.

He likes that tune up game too much.

The only way to change that would be the NCAA or PAC-12 to make that change and the PAC-12 would be dumb to do that.

The only problem with our schedule is BYU. That's it. Get them off and all complaints go away.

I'd do this:

FCS
    G5

Then every 5 years, schedule BYU twice, H/H. that gives you 3 P5 games every 5 years. Maybe a H/H and a big time neutral game. Or, 3 H/H's every ten years with P5.

I'd also try to cut a deal with the Vegas Bowl that we play BYU once every 5 years in our bowl game, as long as we don't make the playoffs, Rose Bowl, Holiday or Alamo Bowl.

We'd play them 6/10 years, we fix our OOC problem, everyone wins.

Until they become a P5 team, we shouldn't play them every year.

I agree about your G5 scheduling...but it will never happen with Whitt as coach. Ok, maybe it happens once but don't count on it.

He likes that tune up game too much.

The only way to change that would be the NCAA or PAC-12 to make that change and the PAC-12 would be dumb to do that.

The only problem with our schedule is BYU. That's it. Get them off and all complaints go away.

I'd do this:

FCS
    G5

Then every 5 years, schedule BYU twice, H/H. that gives you 3 P5 games every 5 years. Maybe a H/H and a big time neutral game. Or, 3 H/H's every ten years with P5.

I'd also try to cut a deal with the Vegas Bowl that we play BYU once every 5 years in our bowl game, as long as we don't make the playoffs, Rose Bowl, Holiday or Alamo Bowl.

We'd play them 6/10 years, we fix our OOC problem, everyone wins.

Until they become a P5 team, we shouldn't play them every year.
    The problem with this, as it pertains to the powers that make up the schedule, is that BYU is viewed as an 'A' game, which also means it's viewed the same as just about every P5 team out there. I'm also guessing playing BYU H-H is far more profitable than playing virtually any other P5.

I am perfectly OK with playing BYU 6/10 years. I'm not sure there are many P5s willing to fill the void in 4/10 years. So BYU stays on the schedule until something changes that simply hasn't shown itself since we got into the Pac-12.

As long as the Pac12 schedule consists of 9 games scheduling to add more p5 teams is not in Utah's best interest. I like Utah playing Weber and SUU as the money stays instate and helps those schools. The other two games need to be vs G5 schools with a P5 every other year until Utah can become a playoff contender.

As far as BYU, I would rather they left the game to chance, and only played at the Vegas bowl. With the new stadium, and added appeal of a bowl game, I think that would refuel a dying rivalry.

I agree that unless the NCAA/PAC 12 prohibits games against FCS schools, those games will continue.

I would prefer playing SMU, Rice, FAU, UCF as opposed to SJSU, No. Ill or Wyoming. There is no reason to play No. Ill or Wyo and if we are going to play someone of that caliber, I would rather play USU.

Are people really interested in watching games against Texas Tech, Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky and would such games really help significantly more than BYU. I am all for playing teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Texas etc., but adding just any P5 isn't that interesting to me.

The problem with this, as it pertains to the powers that make up the schedule, is that BYU is viewed as an 'A' game, which also means it's viewed the same as just about every P5 team out there. I'm also guessing playing BYU H-H is far more profitable than playing virtually any other P5.

I am perfectly OK with playing BYU 6/10 years. I'm not sure there are many P5s willing to fill the void in 4/10 years. So BYU stays on the schedule until something changes that simply hasn't shown itself since we got into the Pac-12.
    Your first paragraph is why all this talk is just passing the dog days of summer.

As long as Whitt views BYU as an "A" game, we will schedule like this.

As long as this state blindly votes LDS-R, we will play BYU.

I disagree with your last paragraph. You contradict yourself. You say we should schedule up, then you say no one is willing to play us.

I don't think Utah has tried very hard to find another P5 school to play. I think the fans' reaction to the 5-7 seasons has pissed everyone off and they will make sure Utah doesn't miss another bowl game.

In a lot of ways, this is our mess and it's very ironic to sit and listen to all the complaints about scheduling, just a few years off fans wanting to run Whitt out of town.

Whitt is one of the smartest people out there and was doing all the analytics when most NBA GM's were in diapers.

He knows what market he is in and how ridiculous the fans are here. He won't put himself in the same position he was in after his 5-7 seasons again. Especially not with his new contract. He will be here for life and he will make sure he never misses a bowl again.

OOC is key to all of that. Entering the season halfway to a bowl game is the key to longevity. Just ask the SEC.

I'd rather beat BYU than some bottom tier P5 school.

I'd rather drop BYU for a top tier P5 school.

I'd rather beat BYU than some bottom tier P5 school...
    Wait, isn't BYU essentially a bottom tier P5?

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    Wait, isn't BYU essentially a bottom tier P5?
    Sure. Beating BYU is more fun than beating Indiana or Northwestern or Vanderbilt or Kansas or Purdue or Texas Tech or Kentucky, etc.

Sure. Beating BYU is more fun than beating Indiana or Northwestern or Vanderbilt or Kansas or Purdue or Texas Tech or Kentucky, etc.
    Yes, but is losing to them less painful? We will once again lose to them. Maybe not this year, but it could be this year.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Yes, but is losing to them less painful? We will once again lose to them. Maybe not this year, but it could be this year.
    UCLA beats USC now and then. It's just a matter of odds.

What will be amusing to watch is how the next BYU win over Utah will be evidence of the restoration of Things the Way They Have Always Been, Really Are, and Should Be; the dawn of a new era, the end of Utah's undeserved dominance, etc.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    UCLA beats USC now and then. It's just a matter of odds.

What will be amusing to watch is how the next BYU win over Utah will be evidence of the restoration of Things the Way They Have Always Been, Really Are, and Should Be; the dawn of a new era, the end of Utah's undeserved dominance, etc.
    Yes and no. If it happens this year, that will certainly be the narrative because of the new coaching staff down there and their perceived (if largely imaginary) momentum. If Utah wins the next 3 against Kalani and keeps putting a good product on the field, and then Kalani wins in 2020, it will be a lot harder to make that narrative stick (although some will certainly try).

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You should know better. That narrative ain't going away until the 60+ year old guys in my high priests group have moved on to that great rivalry game in the sky.
    One must be at least 40 years old to have any memory of BYU's 1984 MNC. Anyone under age 28 will not remember the last time BYU had a really good, nationally competitive team (1996). Kind of interesting when you consider the impact on recruiting, fan support, and so forth.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Good point. I've gotten too confident. I don't see us losing to them. It will be crushing when it does happen.

The rivalry game has officially been extended two more years through 2024. This overlaps the Baylor series and Hereford the first departure from Chris Hill’s scheduling strategy.

https://utahutes.com/news/2019/1/14/...ll-series.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    The rivalry game has officially been extended two more years through 2024. This overlaps the Baylor series and Hereford the first departure from Chris Hill’s scheduling strategy.

https://utahutes.com/news/2019/1/14/...ll-series.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    this was the perfect time to take a two year break and play Utah State home and away

If we're gonna take a break from the BYU series, I would hope it could be for something better than a USU home and away. Why would USU move the needle at all? I guess it gives our fans an easy road trip. Other than that, I'm not sure why we would want to bother.
    using the Dr. Hill/Whittingham graded scale of college football, Utah has Baylor on the schedule in 2023 and 2024 (also Weber and SUU), don't need an 'A' or 'C' type opponent, need a 'B'

If we're gonna take a break from the BYU series, I would hope it could be for something better than a USU home and away. Why would USU move the needle at all? I guess it gives our fans an easy road trip. Other than that, I'm not sure why we would want to bother.

I like playing USU. It is a fun atmosphere and doesn't bring all the shit that BYU brings out in them and in us. I love to go to Logan and never go to Provo.

Like I said, it gives our fans an easy road trip. I think that's the only item on the pro list.
    What is on the pro list for playing BYU?

The legislature keeps funding scientific research if we keep playing byu.

Uhhhh....it's a great game that we always win!

Not killing a 100 year rivalry. Tradition. Satisfaction when we win. Gut wrenching pain when we lose. Not looking like we're afraid. Finishing what we started. Revenge. Drama. Intensity. Glory.

But I agree, Logan is a way better road trip than Provo.
    I just don't feel those things anymore. I am happy the game is at the first of the year so we don't have to hear about it for awhile although the next time we lose I anticipate that is all we will hear until the following year.

We have thrown away a 126-year rivalry with USU (112 games played). Spacing out the byu-P games shouldn't be a big deal. The game vs byu is never going away. Keep them on the schedule, but occasionally mix in the Aggies.

But we absolutely need to beef up our OOC schedule. We have by far and away the weakest OOC schedule in the PAC-12. We have 2 (!) games vs P5 teams on our OOC schedule over the next decade, Baylor in '23 and '24. And that may as well be all the P5 OOC games we play this century, because we sure don't seem to be able to schedule any others. Especially if (when) byu continues it's downward trend we need to consider them a B game and get something interesting on the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    We have thrown away a 126-year rivalry with USU (112 games played). Spacing out the byu-P games shouldn't be a big deal. The game vs byu is never going away. Keep them on the schedule, but occasionally mix in the Aggies.

But we absolutely need to beef up our OOC schedule. We have by far and away the weakest OOC schedule in the PAC-12. We have 2 (!) games vs P5 teams on our OOC schedule over the next decade, Baylor in '23 and '24. And that may as well be all the P5 OOC games we play this century, because we sure don't seem to be able to schedule any others. Especially if (when) byu continues it's downward trend we need to consider them a B game and get something interesting on the schedule.
    I'm officially referring to BYU as a 'B' game. I'm not one of those types who believe we should never play them again, but I'll also marginalize them to underscore how ridiculously soft our non-con is. Colorado has 7 H-H deals with P5s in the same timeframe in which we have 1. That's just unacceptable, and we deserve straight answers on why we're racing to the bottom with regard to scheduling.

I'm officially referring to BYU as a 'B' game. I'm not one of those types who believe we should never play them again, but I'll also marginalize them to underscore how ridiculously soft our non-con is. Colorado has 7 H-H deals with P5s in the same timeframe in which we have 1. That's just unacceptable, and we deserve straight answers on why we're racing to the bottom with regard to scheduling.
    I agree with this. And I am bored to tears by our OOC schedule, not to mention embarrassed.
    I am very selfish as a fan. I want to see splashy OOC games. I have to travel to go to games anyway, and travelling to watch them play SUU, Weber, or NIU just doesn't move the needle. But give me a trip to Iowa, and I will bring my whole family.