Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Football Scheduling Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Sure. Beating BYU is more fun than beating Indiana or Northwestern or Vanderbilt or Kansas or Purdue or Texas Tech or Kentucky, etc.
    Yes, but is losing to them less painful? We will once again lose to them. Maybe not this year, but it could be this year.

Good point. I've gotten too confident. I don't see us losing to them. It will be crushing when it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Yes, but is losing to them less painful? We will once again lose to them. Maybe not this year, but it could be this year.
    UCLA beats USC now and then. It's just a matter of odds.

What will be amusing to watch is how the next BYU win over Utah will be evidence of the restoration of Things the Way They Have Always Been, Really Are, and Should Be; the dawn of a new era, the end of Utah's undeserved dominance, etc.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    UCLA beats USC now and then. It's just a matter of odds.

What will be amusing to watch is how the next BYU win over Utah will be evidence of the restoration of Things the Way They Have Always Been, Really Are, and Should Be; the dawn of a new era, the end of Utah's undeserved dominance, etc.
    Yes and no. If it happens this year, that will certainly be the narrative because of the new coaching staff down there and their perceived (if largely imaginary) momentum. If Utah wins the next 3 against Kalani and keeps putting a good product on the field, and then Kalani wins in 2020, it will be a lot harder to make that narrative stick (although some will certainly try).

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    it will be a lot harder to make that narrative stick (although some will certainly try).
    You should know better. That narrative ain't going away until the 60+ year old guys in my high priests group have moved on to that great rivalry game in the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You should know better. That narrative ain't going away until the 60+ year old guys in my high priests group have moved on to that great rivalry game in the sky.
    One must be at least 40 years old to have any memory of BYU's 1984 MNC. Anyone under age 28 will not remember the last time BYU had a really good, nationally competitive team (1996). Kind of interesting when you consider the impact on recruiting, fan support, and so forth.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The Football Scheduling Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    One must be at least 40 years old to have any memory of BYU's 1984 MNC. Anyone under age 28 will not remember the last time BYU had a really good, nationally competitive team (1996). Kind of interesting when you consider the impact on recruiting, fan support, and so forth.
    If not for that dang word of wisdom, BYU's fanbase would be half its current size.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 07-23-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Updated with new series against Houston in 2026-27...of course, we're going on the road first.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Updated with new series against Houston in 2026-27...of course, we're going on the road first.
    there's a possibility that Houston could be a P5 program by then

The Football Scheduling Thread

I assume we have BYU at home that year.

Edit: I just checked, it is not scheduled, but the BYU game would be in SLC that year.
    Last edited by Sullyute; 05-25-2018 at 07:44 AM.

I like this addition.

I suspect that the playoff has forced us to up our scheduling game a tad. We're seeking out competitive G5s, which in most years, would be better than scheduling P5 dreck.

Also, I've bitched plenty about this year's non-con, but with no Cal or Oregon State on the schedule (the only team in the South to miss both -- USC, Colorado and Arizona get to play both), I have almost no problem with this year's non-con (save for scheduling a game in DeKalb, Ill.).

Ugh. I hate when they schedule over High School Football.

http://utahutes.com/news/2018/5/31/f...announced.aspx
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.