Thread: 2017 NCAA Football Season

Hybrid View

I don't think this signing period makes that much of a difference. What probably happens is that the blue bloods fill their classes in December, then the other P5 close up their classes between than and Feb. Expect a ton of whining right after the first signing day.

If you really want to help the smaller P5's and G5's, then your early signing day should be in August.

i heard Bill Riley say that the earlier over/under for the Utes out of Vegas is 6.5. That is a tough number to accept, but when you look at it, it is a tough decision. 6 or fewer wins or 7 or more wins. I am one who hates to get my expectations ahead of performance and with so many unknowns on the offensive side of the ball and some big losses to replace on the defensive side, I could easily see the Utes win 6 or fewer games. I'm going to say they win 7. We will win the two games we are supposed to win, lose the 3 we are decided underdogs in and take 5 of 7 of the others.

North Dakota - Win (100%)
    @ BYU - Win (60%)
    SJSU - Win (100%)
    @ Ariz. Win (60%)
    BYE
    Stanford - Loss. (30% chance at win)
    @ USC - Loss (10% chance of win)
    ASU - Win (70%)
    @ Oregon - Loss (45% chance of win, but we don't)
    UCLA - Win (55%)
    WSU - Win (55%)
    @UW - Loss (10% chance of win)
    CU - Win. (55%)

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    i heard Bill Riley say that the earlier over/under for the Utes out of Vegas is 6.5. That is a tough number to accept, but when you look at it, it is a tough decision. 6 or fewer wins or 7 or more wins. I am one who hates to get my expectations ahead of performance and with so many unknowns on the offensive side of the ball and some big losses to replace on the defensive side, I could easily see the Utes win 6 or fewer games. I'm going to say they win 7. We will win the two games we are supposed to win, lose the 3 we are decided underdogs in and take 5 of 7 of the others.

@ BYU - Win (60%)
    SJSU - Win (100%)
    @ Ariz. Win (60%)
    BYE
    ASU - Win (70%)
    UCLA - Win (55%)
    WSU - Win (55%)
    CU - Win. (55%)
    Looks like you have us down for 8 wins, unless you are not counting North Dakota. 3 wins in November would be a nice change, after a pretty bad October.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I'd say that 8 wins is a GREAT season. We face four NFL QB's this fall: Darnold, Rosen, Browning, Falk. We also face Colorado, Oregon and Stanford on top of that.

It's no stretch to say we go 3-0 OOC.

Then we have Arizona, Arizona State. If we go 2-0 vs those two, that puts us at 5-0.

If we can go 1-3 vs the NFL QB's, we are now at 6-3. Can we go 2-1 vs Stanford, Washington State and Colorado? I'm not sure we can. What about 2-2 vs the QB's? Again, I'm not sure we can.

I'd say that 7 wins should be the expectation, 8 wins is a great season, 9 wins? Wowza.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post

@ BYU - Win (60%)
    SJSU - Win (100%)
    @ Ariz. Win (60%)
    BYE
    ASU - Win (70%)
    UCLA - Win (55%)
    WSU - Win (55%)
    CU - Win. (55%)
    We've got the right end of the 5-4 split in league games, we get Stanford at home after a bye and we never play back-to-back road games. If Taylor is the QB Whisperer for our senior QB, we'll win 'em all save for USC and UW.

Also, take note that the payoff on that season win total is not an even money bet. Per the odds listed, even Vegas thinks we're more likely to go over 6.5 wins than under 6.5 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    If Taylor is the QB Whisperer for our senior QB, we'll win 'em all save for USC and UW.
    Our fans do this with every new OC, and with every new OC we re-learn that personnel matters as much as coaching/system. Instead of QB whisperer, we need an alchemist.

The good news is that our recruiting has improved. Taylor may actually have some of the offensive pieces that his predecessors lacked.

I'm still in the "bowl eligible is a good season" mode, even though other fans say my expectations are too low.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Our fans do this with every new OC, and with every new OC we re-learn that personnel matters as much as coaching/system. Instead of QB whisperer, we need an alchemist.
    While I agree, Taylor is a QB guy where as our previous OC's back to Brian Johnson were not QB guys.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Instead of QB whisperer, we need an alchemist.
    What we really need is our fans to get real.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo