Grant was .85
    Paulo was .87
    Peck was .83
    Scott was .85
    Umana was .84
    Unutoa was .84
    Richardson was .85
    Agasiva .86

Empey is solid, but not essential. I'd probably go to BYU if I were him as well. Play for your dad and a lot easier path to playing than at Utah.

Those are all the OL recruits that came in his class (2015) or 2016 or 2017. He'd be a true freshman this fall, so he'd have a huge uphill battle for playing time at Utah. At BYU, he is probably already penciled in as a starter next fall.

Get used to these kinds of transfers, especially with kids from Utah. When they go on a mission, they lose a bit. When they come home, they are behind the 8 ball. Kids like this have two options: Go to Utah, fight for playing time, and quite possibly never see the field until they are seniors (Harvey Langi) or go to Utah and play a lot your first year and start by year two (if not by year 1).

A lot of those borderline kids will choose the playing time over fighting/developing at Utah.
    Last edited by Utah; 06-05-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Also, the risk you run at a school like BYU is the Harvey Langi Experience:

BYU is so thin at their positions that there is a good chance you play out of position at your time at BYU and you are undervalued when it comes to the draft.

Langi was a LB. Whitt wanted him at LB. Had he stayed at Utah, he would have played LB in a backup role until his SR year. BUT, as a SR, he would have been an absolute MONSTER at LB with Luafatasaga. He would have been drafted at a minimum, maybe even a top three round guy.

But, he would not have played much until he was a SR.

At BYU, he played right away. BUT, he was then moved out of position to DE, where he struggled his SR year and did not get drafted.

That is the risk you run going to a school like BYU. Utah puts kids in the NFL. Especially on defense and on the OL. They will do you right. You may not play right away, but when you do, you will be in the best position to succeed.

Other schools? They might need you somewhere else, and risk your NFL future by doing so.

I know camp is only one day in, but does anyone else get the sense that the qb battle isn't really a battle? If Bateman is even with Huntley, do you approach Huntley about red shirting? I know there were rumbles that him or maybe some of his family thought he should have done so last year. If I am him, I don't want to redshirt or be QB 3 because you get no practice reps and he wants all the experience he can get before next spring.

Singleton just has bad hamstrings.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I know camp is only one day in, but does anyone else get the sense that the qb battle isn't really a battle? If Bateman is even with Huntley, do you approach Huntley about red shirting?
    What year is Bateman?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What year is Bateman?
    5th year senior

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    5th year senior
    Yeah, scout team QB. Emergency backup. Move him to defense if he's an athlete. Not much you can do.
    Last edited by sancho; 07-29-2017 at 11:30 AM.

I think you ask Huntley what he wants to do. If he'd rather redshirt than be the backup, then do it. If not, then get him as many backup game snaps as possible.

I know camp is only one day in, but does anyone else get the sense that the qb battle isn't really a battle?
    I don't think there is a real QB battle going on either, except for the #2 spot. Nor should there be, really. We have a successful, returning senior at QB. Huntley didn't look amazing in his few reps last season, and Bateman was never able to beat anyone out at Bama, even when they were desperate for a QB.

Singleton just has bad hamstrings.
    Seriously?! That's his "ailment?!" Before camp even starts?! Again?! Good grief!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    When they go on a mission, they lose a bit.
    I agree with the rest of your post, but this statement is incomplete. Return missionaries are great on the lines because it is easier to add muscle at ages 20-25 than 18-23. I'm always happy to have RMs on the lines. A 25 year old who's been in the weight room for the past 2 years is going to steamroll a lot of opponents. This is a big reason BYU has managed to stay decent as a G5 program.