Thread: Utah vs BYU - The Gap Widens

Hybrid View

Normally I'd pass this type of post off as homerism, but I have to admit that you make a compelling case.

Mangum is the only one I might disagree on. I don't think we've had a chance to see the real Mangum yet. The kid has an NFL arm.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    The kid has an NFL arm.
    And, to date, a high school ability to read defenses. He certainly has the arm to be elite, whether or not he can learn to read a defense will be the difference between being an NFL draft pick and just a guy who throws for a lot of yards and a lot of INTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    And, to date, a high school ability to read defenses. He certainly has the arm to be elite, whether or not he can learn to read a defense will be the difference between being an NFL draft pick and just a guy who throws for a lot of yards and a lot of INTs.

Until now, he hasn't really had a chance. One way or another we'll see the real Mangum this year. He could go Heaps or he could go Beck. We don't know, and that's my only point.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Until now, he hasn't really had a chance. One way or another we'll see the real Mangum this year. He could go Heaps or he could go Beck. We don't know, and that's my only point.
    I think he had a decent chance his freshman year. But, yeah, who knows what they are getting? Not me, not Detmer.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think he had a decent chance his freshman year. But, yeah, who knows what they are getting? Not me, not Detmer.
    This is why I don't think we've seen the real Mangum yet. Plus, he was just a couple of months removed from his mission. The last defense he had read was a high school defense. Frankly I thought he did pretty well considering the circumstances, which is why I'm hedging a bit.