Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Him or Him, 2017 edition

Him or Him, 2017 edition

A few weeks to go until fall camp and things start to pick back up around here. Good a time as any to play 'Him or Him?'

If youre new or need a refresher:

I will get us started at the bottom of this post with two figures in Utah history. The first responder picks who they would take, why, and then leaves their own 'Him or Him'. So on and so on. This can be male, female, athlete, coach, admin, fan, inanimate object, etc. Discussion is great and just have fun!

Jordan Gross or Garrett Boles?

I would take Gross because he has proven his ability as a player over time. Bolles still has a lot to do.

David Collette or Mitch Smith?

I take Mitch Smith - loved his nastiness and work ethic. If Collette has a monster senior year I'd give this more thought because Smith wasn't Smith his senior year. Some of you may recall recent article where he admitted how he still feels badly that he played poorly his senior year and blamed himself (partly) for Coach Archibald's dismissal.

Scott Mitchell or Alex Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I take Mitch Smith - loved his nastiness and work ethic. If Collette has a monster senior year I'd give this more thought because Smith wasn't Smith his senior year. Some of you may recall recent article where he admitted how he still feels badly that he played poorly his senior year and blamed himself (partly) for Coach Archibald's dismissal.

Scott Mitchell or Alex Smith?
    Alex Smith

He had the entire package, and he's just so damn smart...and he's a winner.

I like Scott, and his numbers were good, but he wasn't anywhere near as successful as Alex. Alex actually has better yards per attempt and far better TD/Turnover ratio. (And much higher passer ratings)

MyKayla Skinner or Missy Marlowe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Alex Smith

He had the entire package, and he's just so damn smart...and he's a winner.

I like Scott, and his numbers were good, but he wasn't anywhere near as successful as Alex. Alex actually has better yards per attempt and far better TD/Turnover ratio. (And much higher passer ratings)

MyKayla Skinner or Missy Marlowe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Missy. She was six years older than me, and you can do the math for my age when she was at the U and plastered all over SLC. Plus, Olympics, which MyKayla can't say yet.

Roy Jefferson or Larry Wilson?

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Missy. She was six years older than me, and you can do the math for my age when she was at the U and plastered all over SLC. Plus, Olympics, which MyKayla can't say yet.

Roy Jefferson or Larry Wilson?
    Wilson. He's in the pro football Hall of Fame. That's all I need, although Roy had a great pro career and should be in the college football HOF.

Here's another one from the way-back machine: Dave Costa or Manny Fernandez?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Wilson. He's in the pro football Hall of Fame. That's all I need, although Roy had a great pro career and should be in the college football HOF.

Here's another one from the way-back machine: Dave Costa or Manny Fernandez?
    Fernandez. Had never heard of either. Googled them and saw Manny was on those Dolphin teams in the early 70s.

Steve Savoy or Paris Warren?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Fernandez. Had never heard of either. Googled them and saw Manny was on those Dolphin teams in the early 70s.

Steve Savoy or Paris Warren?
    I loved Savoy and wished that he would've stayed an extra year...feels like he got some bad advice, and, we could've really used him in that transitional year (I think I'm right on that...he left when Alex left, right?) So for that reason, I'll say Warren.

Tom Hackett or Mitch Wishnowsky?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Worse hair:

David Yost--USU O Coordinator--see Trib today, or Kelly Olynyk?

David Yost by a mile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Youre killing me here, Sully!

Brent Casteel or Dres Anderson?

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I loved Savoy and wished that he would've stayed an extra year...feels like he got some bad advice, and, we could've really used him in that transitional year (I think I'm right on that...he left when Alex left, right?) So for that reason, I'll say Warren.

Tom Hackett or Mitch Wishnowsky?
    Youre killing me here, Sully!

Hey...mine didn't even get answered...wait a sec...who blocked other posters from seeing my posts? Have I reached that level?

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Hey...mine didn't even get answered...wait a sec...who blocked other posters from seeing my posts? Have I reached that level?
    When in doubt, blame Moose.

Ill go Mitch because I cant see him ever getting on the radio and asking a guy who has signed a LOI how solid his commitment to Utah is.

When in doubt, blame Moose.

Ill go Mitch because I cant see him ever getting on the radio and asking a guy who has signed a LOI how solid his commitment to Utah is.

Dres was fun. Casteel had that edge to him that we haven't seen very much from many of our skill position players (giving the finger to the UNM defender en route to a 13-10 win). But Dres, when healthy had some pretty spectacular catches. So I'll give him the edge. Did you know his dad was Flipper Anderson?

Devonte Booker or Juan Blanco IV

Dres was fun. Casteel had that edge to him that we haven't seen very much from many of our skill position players (giving the finger to the UNM defender en route to a 13-10 win). But Dres, when healthy had some pretty spectacular catches. So I'll give him the edge. Did you know his dad was Flipper Anderson?

Give me the Wolfman, if only because he put up two 1,000 yard seasons behind an OL that was still mostly MWC level.

Sharreiff Shah or Morgan Scalley?

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Give me the Wolfman, if only because he put up two 1,000 yard seasons behind an OL that was still mostly MWC level.

Sharreiff Shah or Morgan Scalley?
    You are crazy... Booker is second to David Reed as the most underrated player in the last 30 years.

As far as players go I take Scalley simply because he is the one I would want back there.

Anthony Davis (chocolate cheetah) or Koa Misi?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I'm sorry, but anyone who takes Dres Anderson ahead of Brent Casteel must've been asleep in the 2008 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    You are crazy... Booker is second to David Reed as the most underrated player in the last 30 years.

As far as players go I take Scalley simply because he is the one I would want back there.

Anthony Davis (chocolate cheetah) or Koa Misi?
    I gotta ask -- how on earth was Booker underrated?

Davis vs. Misi is a very tough call, but Misi had the advantage of playing for one of the greatest teams in school history.

I'm sorry, but anyone who takes Dres Anderson ahead of Brent Casteel must've been asleep in the 2008 season.
    lol...it's always possible.

Recency effect perhaps? I wouldn't exactly argue that Casteel was the engine that made that thing go in 2008. He was out performed by Freddie Brown in both receptions, yards, and TDs, and by Godfrey in receptions. David Reed was also beginning to emerge that season as well. In Anderson's best year, he had more catches, yards, and TDs than Casteel did in his best year. I did add the caveat that if healthy, I'd take Dres, but I certainly loved the grit that Casteel had.

For their careers:

Casteel:

87 Rush, 472 Yards, 1 TD
    127 Rec 1,653 Yards, 17 TDs

Anderson

25 Rush, 143 Yards, 1 TD
    134 Rec, 2,077, 17 TDs

If you want to argue that Casteel is more versatile, I'll buy that, but let's not act like this is a run away one way or the other.

Dres was also in the PAC-12.

lol...it's always possible.

Recency effect perhaps? I wouldn't exactly argue that Casteel was the engine that made that thing go in 2008. He was out performed by Freddie Brown in both receptions, yards, and TDs, and by Godfrey in receptions. David Reed was also beginning to emerge that season as well. In Anderson's best year, he had more catches, yards, and TDs than Casteel did in his best year. I did add the caveat that if healthy, I'd take Dres, but I certainly loved the grit that Casteel had.

For their careers:

Casteel:

87 Rush, 472 Yards, 1 TD
    127 Rec 1,653 Yards, 17 TDs

Anderson

25 Rush, 143 Yards, 1 TD
    134 Rec, 2,077, 17 TDs

If you want to argue that Casteel is more versatile, I'll buy that, but let's not act like this is a run away one way or the other.
    Every big play we absolutely needed in 2008, Casteel was there. The catch that set up the GWFG vs. Oregon State. The catch that jump-started our GWFG drive against TCU. You mentioned the UNM TD, but he also had our first score against Bama and drew a key PI penalty in the end zone of that game that set up another TD. I'd also be willing to bet that other than Eddie Johnson, no Utah player has matched or surpassed the four total TDs Casteel scored against BYU.

Both players lost a huge stretch of an upperclass senior to injury (Casteel nearly all of 2007, Dres the final 6 games of his senior year in 2014). I think where Dres loses huge in this argument is that his best season (2013, and yes, superior numbers-wise to almost everything Casteel put up) came during one of Utah's worst. Can you really remember a truly meaningful Dres play? Once I get past his TD to open the second half of 2011 BYU, I can't think of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Dres was also in the PAC-12.
    And Casteel was surrounded by "lesser" talent. This is the stupidest rebuttal ever.

I am reporting all of you to the admins for ruining this game!!! (Seriously though, this is why I start these threads. Great debate! We just need a new comp...)

Joe or Dave Kruger?

I am reporting all of you to the admins for ruining this game!!! (Seriously though, this is why I start these threads. Great debate! We just need a new comp...)

Joe or Dave Kruger?
    After Paul, aren't they all the same?

After Paul, aren't they all the same?
    We need to spin the wheel of punishment for Pat here.....

Thomas Herrion or Caleb schlauderhoff?

We need to spin the wheel of punishment for Pat here.....

Thomas Herrion or Caleb schlauderhoff?
    Easy choice. Herrion essentially died on the field while competing for a roster spot at the bottom of the NFL food chain.

And Casteel was surrounded by "lesser" talent. This is the stupidest rebuttal ever.

So, BJ was a worse QB than Wilson?
    Last edited by Utah; 07-10-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Also, I'd bet that Dres faced much better DB's than Castell overall.

Also, I think I counted 18 Utes on the 2008 team that went on to play in the NFL. So...uh...stupid huh? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Also, I think I counted 18 Utes on the 2008 team that went on to play in the NFL. So...uh...stupid huh? Lol.
    You're unbelievably daft. I said what I did about "lesser" talent and Casteel to underscore how stupid your "Des played in the Pac-12" take was.