Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which tv package would you choose?

Which tv package would you choose?

Ok.. here's my quandary. Getting sling tv for the fall and here's my options.
    Sling orange $20 you get ESPNs and not fs1 for $5 more you get sports extras which doesn't have the red zone but has pac12

Sling blue for $25 has fs1 but not ESPNs sports extra for $10 gets you Pac 12 and red zone.
    Granted I can use my parents log in to get ESPN or fs1 or pac12.

What do you think?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I have DirecTVNow which has all the ESPN channels and FS1/FS2. It is kind of nice because it has all of the Sling channels from both Sling plans, but still doesn't have PAC-12.

I hate to say it, but there is a stable PAC-12 channel on Kodi. I WISH I could pay an extra $5 or whatever for the PAC channel during the season, but that is not an option. Obviously I use a VPN.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Ok.. here's my quandary. Getting sling tv for the fall and here's my options.
    Sling orange $20 you get ESPNs and not fs1 for $5 more you get sports extras which doesn't have the red zone but has pac12

Sling blue for $25 has fs1 but not ESPNs sports extra for $10 gets you Pac 12 and red zone.
    Granted I can use my parents log in to get ESPN or fs1 or pac12.

What do you think?

Let me know how it goes. I just cut cable and am currently just using my brother's accounts for ESPN, FS1, and Pac12. I think I'll just pay him some money. Or maybe I'll get Sling or YouTubetv when it comes out.

I dropped cable this summer. I have an Amazon Fire TV stick, and I have apps for watching ESPN and Fox. I can stream Pac-12 too.

I guess that means no social media during games to avoid spoilers, right?

Question: how do streamers change to another game during a commercial? Maybe they don't?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Let me know how it goes. I just cut cable and am currently just using my brother's accounts for ESPN, FS1, and Pac12. I think I'll just pay him some money. Or maybe I'll get Sling or YouTubetv when it comes out.
    I combined with another utefan and got sling tv with blue and Orange. Only 1 stream at a time for the espns but the pac 12, fs1 can have 3 streams on them. I also get the redzone which is worth it. $30 per month. My friend can use his parents stream for espns so no problem for either of us.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I dropped cable this summer. I have an Amazon Fire TV stick, and I have apps for watching ESPN and Fox. I can stream Pac-12 too.

I guess that means no social media during games to avoid spoilers, right?

Question: how do streamers change to another game during a commercial? Maybe they don't?
    Amazon fire stick ��! You'll never miss paying the cable company for nothing.

Does it have a good DVR? If not it's just no acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Does it have a good DVR? If not it's just no acceptable.
    Sling has s cloud DVR, but I don't know how well it works.

With Plex or other programs you can DVR your streams directly on your computer or cloud drive. If you are handy with computers it can be a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Sling has s cloud DVR, but I don't know how well it works.

With Plex or other programs you can DVR your streams directly on your computer or cloud drive. If you are handy with computers it can be a good option.
    The dvr is fair. It kept reverting to not letting me fast forward

So i went in with a friend here on slingtv. We got the orange and blue with sports pack and dvr. 60 per month to which my share is $30. I then have an Amazon fire and down loaded the apps:
    Nbc sports
    Fox sports go
    Cbs sports go
    Espn3

For those apps i use my parents xfinity log on and i have cbs sports, nbc sport and over the air fox

I get every game. It can be a pain switching from app to app but $30 month ain't half bad

So i went in with a friend here on slingtv. We got the orange and blue with sports pack and dvr. 60 per month to which my share is $30. I then have an Amazon fire and down loaded the apps:
    Nbc sports
    Fox sports go
    Cbs sports go
    Espn3

For those apps i use my parents xfinity log on and i have cbs sports, nbc sport and over the air fox

I get every game. It can be a pain switching from app to app but $30 month ain't half bad

Hopefully you and your buddy won't want to watch something on the ESPN channels at the same time. They limit the blue channels to one device at a time per subscription for any blue channel. For instance, I can't even watch ESPN and any another blue channel at the same time on different tv's in my own home. It took us a while to figure that out.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I was actually surprised at how good the cloud dvr (particularly because o thought it was going to be BAD). But I had no issues with it. Cloud DVR does not work with ESPN tho. I found a promo online that gave me a free roku stick if I paid for two months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Hopefully you and your buddy won't want to watch something on the ESPN channels at the same time. They limit the blue channels to one device at a time per subscription for any blue channel. For instance, I can't even watch ESPN and any another blue channel at the same time on different tv's in my own home. It took us a while to figure that out.
    He uses his parents espn3 for espn games. Espns is on orange... the sling blue can have 3 streams at the same time. For example, we both watched the Utah game (fs1 on sling blue) Friday night.

He uses his parents espn3 for espn games. Espns is on orange... the sling blue can have 3 streams at the same time. For example, we both watched the Utah game (fs1 on sling blue) Friday night.

Right, sorry. It's the orange you can only watch on one device at a time.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Nbc sports
    Fox sports go
    Cbs sports go
    Espn3

My only complaints with the streaming so far: (1) can't switch games easily and (2) there are only about 3 total commercials that are shown on loop.

All in all, though, it's completely worth it.

Edit: I'm on a Youtube TV free trial right now. So smooth and easy compared to anything else I've used. It only works with chromecast so far, but when it works with Roku and Amazon, I'd really recommend it. $35/month for any channel anyone would want except, of course, the Pac-12 Network. The DVR system appears to be really easy and smooth, but I haven't tried it yet.
    Last edited by sancho; 09-24-2017 at 07:12 PM.

We use DISH right now and it's fine, but we are moving and I want to take advantage of the new location to cut the clutter and the major services. My current plan, based on advice already received from this thread and from others here (thanks, guys) and from my tech-savvy son:

• Internet from Comcast/Xfinity. Us that for internet only.
    • Use Roku as a streaming platform (I guess that's what it is called.)
    • Keep using Amazon Prime and Netflix.
    • Use Sling Blue to get the other streams I want (including PAC-12 Network)
    • Get any additional news channels (CNN and the rest) using their apps, which I hear are pretty good.
    • I might actually purchase an antenna to get free local TV.

I don't want Apple TV -- that decision's made.

Anybody see anything wrong with this plan? What has your experience been?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We use DISH right now and it's fine, but we are moving and I want to take advantage of the new location to cut the clutter and the major services. My current plan, based on advice already received from this thread and from others here (thanks, guys) and from my tech-savvy son:

• Internet from Comcast/Xfinity. Us that for internet only.
    • Use Roku as a streaming platform (I guess that's what it is called.)
    • Keep using Amazon Prime and Netflix.
    • Use Sling Blue to get the other streams I want (including PAC-12 Network)
    • Get any additional news channels (CNN and the rest) using their apps, which I hear are pretty good.
    • I might actually purchase an antenna to get free local TV.

I don't want Apple TV -- that decision's made.

Anybody see anything wrong with this plan? What has your experience been?

Nope... my only advice is to get one of the nicer Roku players. I have a Roku Express and... some other one I can't remember, and they tend to lag a lot. It'll be an adjustment, but then you'll live in a world of few commercials and then it will feel like it is going to cause you seizures when you see them in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Nope... my only advice is to get one of the nicer Roku players. I have a Roku Express and... some other one I can't remember, and they tend to lag a lot. It'll be an adjustment, but then you'll live in a world of few commercials and then it will feel like it is going to cause you seizures when you see them in the future.
    I got the Roku Ultra. I'm told it will park my car for me and mow my lawn too.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

You may want to look into a universal remote as well. I have used Logitech for a while now, and really like them.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    You may want to look into a universal remote as well. I have used Logitech for a while now, and really like them.
    Thx -- hadn't thought of that. Right now we use up to 4 remotes and it's a pain.

--Yeats

Has anyone here used an indoor HDTV antenna?

--Yeats

Has anyone here used an indoor HDTV antenna?
    l
    I bought the Mohu leaf several years ago. It didnt work all that well. Hopefully they have improved.

I'd really like to know your experience with this. I hate Comcast/xfinity because it is so expensive. I can now get Google wireless for $50 a month and it is great.

I'd like to cut that pile a $%*& Comcast completely out of my life. But I do enjoy channel surfing and having access to all the premium channels to catch up on shows I like (Billions has been good. I have started watching Big Little Lies and I surprisingly am enjoying it). Can I still get those? Can I still pay per view order the UFC fights? Will my live sports be delayed because of streaming?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I'd really like to know your experience with this. I hate Comcast/xfinity because it is so expensive. I can now get Google wireless for $50 a month and it is great.

I'd like to cut that pile a $%*& Comcast completely out of my life. But I do enjoy channel surfing and having access to all the premium channels to catch up on shows I like (Billions has been good. I have started watching Big Little Lies and I surprisingly am enjoying it). Can I still get those? Can I still pay per view order the UFC fights? Will my live sports be delayed because of streaming?

With Sling, you can still channel surf, although you won't have as many channels as Xfinity (good and bad). You can sign up for HBO, Showtime, Stars, etc with Sling for an addition $10-$15 per month. I'm not sure how ppv events work with them though. I imagine they are there, since you can also do ppv movies through Sling.

Live sports are delayed by 5 to 10 seconds. With Sling, you'll have to choose between Blue(includes Fox channels) or Orange (includes ESPN's and Disney channels), or pay to have both. Then you'll want to add on the Sports package for $10 to get the PAC 12 networks. Even with all that, you are around $60 per month. I have been doing that during football and basketball season so I can get all the sports (ESPN, FS1, and PAC 12), and then remove one or more packages during the summer when I don't need access to it all to see the Utes play.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post

I've never taken the plunge but in a month or two will know a lot more. Stay tuned!

By doing this I know I will save money, but my primary goal is to be able to watch what I want to watch, without all the clutter (hundreds of channels I will never watch) and the rate games that DISH, DirectTv, Comcast and the rest play.

--Yeats

My biggest concern for all of this is the DVR functionality. The way I watch a lot of sports, I need to have a good DVR and it needs to be responsive (when I watch a game I'm frequently flying through dead time; if there's a lag or freeze while I'm loading something up it drives me crazy). Does cord cutting have a viable DVR option?

Which tv package would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    My biggest concern for all of this is the DVR functionality. The way I watch a lot of sports, I need to have a good DVR and it needs to be responsive (when I watch a game I'm frequently flying through dead time; if there's a lag or freeze while I'm loading something up it drives me crazy). Does cord cutting have a viable DVR option?
    Sling has a DVR Cloud option that I’ve heard good things about. There are many other options online, but they seem to be designed for people who want to devote the time to becoming more technologically inclined. I’m not one of those people. Here’s the skinny on the Sling DVR Cloud:

https://www.cnet.com/news/sling-tv-c...ox-and-lg-tvs/
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-22-2018 at 10:13 AM.

--Yeats

Sling has a DVR Cloud option that I’ve heard good things about. There are many other options online, but they seem to be designed for people who want to devote the time to becoming more technologically inclined. I’m not one of those people. Here’s the skinny on the Sling DVR Cloud:

I tried out Sling DVR last season, ESPN doesn't allow you to record their stuff (or didn't at the time), just FYI. It was okay, not super easy to jump through stuff to where you wanted.

Direct TV Now also just came out with a DVR Cloud