Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which tv package would you choose?

I still love YouTubeTV. From what I'm hearing, Sling doesn't have much that YouTubeTV doesn't also have. With a Chromecast (which youtube gave me for free), it's good to go. I do channel surf and fast forward using my laptop. I'm told there is an iphone app for it, but I don't have a smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I tried out Sling DVR last season, ESPN doesn't allow you to record their stuff (or didn't at the time), just FYI. It was okay, not super easy to jump through stuff to where you wanted.
    ESPN still doesn't allow you to record their programs. And you can only watch those channels on one TV at a time.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I still love YouTubeTV. From what I'm hearing, Sling doesn't have much that YouTubeTV doesn't also have. With a Chromecast (which youtube gave me for free), it's good to go. I do channel surf and fast forward using my laptop. I'm told there is an iphone app for it, but I don't have a smartphone.
    Do you get the PAC 12 networks on YouTubeTV? I haven't kept up.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Do you get the PAC 12 networks on YouTubeTV? I haven't kept up.
    Yeah, that's the drawback. Otherwise, I really like it.

And you can only watch those channels on one TV at a time.
    I think it’s kind of like Amazon Fire. You have a main mini- console and then little “fire sticks“ for other TVs in your house. There is a Roku stick, I am told. Still learning about all of this.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think it’s kind of like Amazon Fire. You have a main mini- console and then little “fire sticks“ for other TVs in your house. There is a Roku stick, I am told. Still learning about all of this.
    This is specific to he SlingTV Orange package. You can have Sling on multiple devices, including Roku, Fire, AppleTV, iPad, etc. But you can only watch ESPN or other Orange specific channels on one device at a time.

So I can't watch the game on ESPN in the basement while my wife is also watching it upstairs.

Channels on the Blue package can be watched on up to 3 devices at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Direct TV Now also just came out with a DVR Cloud
    No pac12 network
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

This is specific to he SlingTV Orange package. You can have Sling on multiple devices, including Roku, Fire, AppleTV, iPad, etc. But you can only watch ESPN or other Orange specific channels on one device at a time.

So I can't watch the game on ESPN in the basement while my wife is also watching it upstairs.

Channels on the Blue package can be watched on up to 3 devices at the same time.
    So for the first time ever I will say, "Go blue!"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Fire Stick’s are stand alone. We have just a stick on one TV, Apple TV on two others, and XBox One and One X on two as well.

But I keep my cable. Wife and I both enjoy too much stuff on TV to drop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Fire Stick’s are stand alone. We have just a stick on one TV, Apple TV on two others, and XBox One and One X on two as well.

I used to love to channel surf, and my wife still does (mostly Hallmark and Lifetime movies, blech!). But since cutting the cord, I find that I don't go to Sling to watch much live TV anymore. About the only thing I watch live anymore is sports or local news. Instead, I have built up a queue of things I want to watch on Netflix and Amazon Prime. My queue is so big, I don't know if I'll ever catch up, and I hear about good stuff being added all the time.

I usually have a couple of things going at once. So lately, if I have an hour or more, I would watch an episode or two of Sneaky Pete, and next will be the latest season of Bosch. But I also have a sitcom season going if I just want to sit down for some mindless tv time, like the Office or Arrested Development. And then I have a queue of movies to watch when I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

I really like Amazon Prime and have a main docking station + Fire Sticks. My plan is to integrate Fire with the new system we are building.

--Yeats

I used to love to channel surf, and my wife still does (mostly Hallmark and Lifetime movies, blech!). But since cutting the cord, I find that I don't go to Sling to watch much live TV anymore. About the only thing I watch live anymore is sports or local news. Instead, I have built up a queue of things I want to watch on Netflix and Amazon Prime. My queue is so big, I don't know if I'll ever catch up, and I hear about good stuff being added all the time.

I usually have a couple of things going at once. So lately, if I have an hour or more, I would watch an episode or two of Sneaky Pete, and next will be the latest season of Bosch. But I also have a sitcom season going if I just want to sit down for some mindless tv time, like the Office or Arrested Development. And then I have a queue of movies to watch when I want.
    There’s a few things I like live, most things I DVR.

I looked into things like Sling, in the long run it saved me very little to switch

Bound to happen. My YouTubeTV is still cheaper than a comparable cable package, but, like cable, 95% of the channels are not getting watched.

Which tv package would you choose?

We’re now using Roku + Sling + a HDTV antenna ($25). We have access to everything we want to see and don’t need to deal with any cable or satellite provider beyond making sure we have Internet service. I’m especially impressed by the free HDTV that comes through our antenna. The picture is beautiful and all we have is the modern version of a “rabbit ears” set top antenna. It’s the ClearStream Eclipse™ Sure Grip Indoor HDTV Antenna.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 07-07-2018 at 06:49 AM.

--Yeats

We’re now using Roku + Sling + a HDTV antenna ($25). We have access to everything we want to see and don’t need to deal with any cable or satellite provider beyond making sure we have Internet service. I’m especially impressed by the free HDTV that comes through our antenna. The picture is beautiful and all we have is the modern version of a “rabbit ears” set top antenna. It’s the ClearStream Eclipse™ Sure Grip Indoor HDTV Antenna.
    OTA signals are very high bandwidth, usually far higher than you will see over a typical streaming service. Glad to see this all works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    OTA signals are very high bandwidth, usually far higher than you will see over a typical streaming service. Glad to see this all works for you!
    I wish I had done the antenna sooner.

--Yeats

A fascinating article that explains why this thread exists:

Blame Netflix, Disney and the Dodgers for killing Americans’ cable-TV bundle

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...816-story.html

--Yeats

Does anyone have experience with fubotv, or have you heard anything about it? It looks like a Sling-type service. I’m curious because it seems to have more channels — or at least some channels I want.

EDIT: Hold on, I found a review:

https://www.pcmag.com/review/357278/fubotv

No ESPN is a pretty big drawback. Everything else looks good, however.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-04-2018 at 01:39 PM.

--Yeats

I got the trial of FuboTV. It is a very good service, nice interface, excellent stream quality. The Stanford game streamed in 4K and was brilliant.

But ESPN is not available. That kind of kills the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I got the trial of FuboTV. It is a very good service, nice interface, excellent stream quality. The Stanford game streamed in 4K and was brilliant.

But ESPN is not available. That kind of kills the deal.
    It sure does. I wonder what’s going on behind the scenes that results iin no deal with ESPN?

--Yeats

Just got notified that YouTubeTV is raising prices again, now up to $50/month. I started at $35. They make deals with channels, add them, and raise prices. They just added a bunch of crap I don't want - Discover, Food Network, and HGTV. They are basically just cable now.

I guess this was bound to happen. There will never be an a la carte option because that option earns the providers so much less.

That stinks. I was just looking to switch over and try YouTube TV.

My DirecTVNow is going up $10 next month also, or I can save a few bucks and drop about 40 channels (but get HBO free). That won't really matter anyway, because those channels are all getting phased out by DirecTV anyway.

Truth is, outside of football and March madness games I don't watch TV anyhow. When I finally get time to watch anything, I stream it on Netflix or Hulu. And the kids play video games and don't watch any TV.

Time to really cut the cord again. The streaming options are all as expensive as cable or satellite.

I really only care about regular TV for football and basketball so I turn on sling for that time. In years past I've done both the orange and blue package plus sports and it was $50/mo. This year I just did blue with sports for $30, but if there was a game on orange I wanted to see I would just switch it. Sling actually will let you switch mid month and credit you so it never cost more than $30 and then I'd switch back.

I know that is the ultimate cheapskate move, but a lot nicer than wasting money on TV I never watch.

It's actually cheaper now for me to bundle cable and internet with Comcast ($100/month) than to just get internet and a streaming service ($65 for internet and $50 for streaming).

Maybe I'll try Rocker's move. Like everyone else here, I only use TV for sports. There is so little else worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It's actually cheaper now for me to bundle cable and internet with Comcast ($100/month) than to just get internet and a streaming service ($65 for internet and $50 for streaming).

Maybe I'll try Rocker's move. Like everyone else here, I only use TV for sports. There is so little else worth watching.
    Disney+ is out now.

It's only a matter of time before ESPN is on there.

For those keeping score my current "entertainment costs" are:

$40/mo for internet
    $16/mo for Netflix (we do premium as teenagers has me frequently running into the device streaming limit)

$30/mo during sports (thanks for the reminder I just canceled sling for the time being).

I have Google Fiber in my area but the truth is 40mbps with really heavy usage including a gamer son and we have no issues. Their cheapest tv/internet package is $140/mo.

I'll add that I wish Amazon would step up there content game and I'd drop Netflix. I don't think they are far off and I'm guessing if I just took the plunge I wouldn't notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Disney+ is out now.

It's only a matter of time before ESPN is on there.
    It sounds like they will release ESPN as it's own streaming package. So Disney+ for kind and family content, ESPN+ for sports, and Hulu for more mature/current/mainstream content.

It's a lot closer to ala carte. Disney owns Fox now, so I'm hoping the ESPN package will include Fox sports stations. But if you get all 3, it will add up. And of course it won't be everything everyone wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I'll add that I wish Amazon would step up there content game and I'd drop Netflix. I don't think they are far off and I'm guessing if I just took the plunge I wouldn't notice the difference.

I rarely watch stuff on Amazon Prime anymore. Some original content is good, and they have a few good tv series and movies. But I find their content selection much less rich than Netflix. But I'll keep paying for my Amazon Prime membership for the free shipping. It pays for itself that way.