Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: "Today’s tech oligarchs are worse than the robber barons"

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It makes both good things and bad things possible. Maybe more bad than good.
    I only see the bad, but I'm an old crank.

Am I the only who thinks the US-based social media & the "opt out" orientation of our businesses toward privacy have made much of the technology we use to interact with each other (Facebook, Google, etc) and use in our everyday lives a fairly serious privacy risk?

Working in IT Sec, the more I read about GDPR and it's requirements to ensure privacy - think of it as HIPAA for everyday life - the more I realize the privacy of Americans was either mostly ignored, or more blatantly, we've been sold to the highest bidder or worse (Cambridge Analytica).

I basically stopped using FB when the CA story came out.

There's still a demand for the connectivity that Facebook provides, but they're so far behind the curve on security I don't think it's recoverable, and for completely different reasons, youngsters are going away in masses. Looking for a EU-based alternative that will take privacy seriously, which I think a lot of Americans would be interested in hoping onto.

This all reminds me it was the Germans who discovered Google was capturing information on home WiFi networks via Google Maps' and their Streetview rolling cameras.

I wish I had confidence America had the political will to address privacy. I just don't think it exists, and leadership on IT Sec for the masses will have to come from outside the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Am I the only who thinks the US-based social media & the "opt out" orientation of our businesses toward privacy have made much of the technology we use to interact with each other (Facebook, Google, etc) and use in our everyday lives a fairly serious privacy risk?

Working in IT Sec, the more I read about GDPR and it's requirements to ensure privacy - think of it as HIPAA for everyday life - the more I realize the privacy of Americans was either mostly ignored, or more blatantly, we've been sold to the highest bidder or worse (Cambridge Analytica).

There's still a demand for the connectivity that Facebook provides, but they're so far behind the curve on security I don't think it's recoverable, and for completely different reasons, youngsters are going away in masses. Looking for a EU-based alternative that will take privacy seriously, which I think a lot of Americans would be interested in hoping onto.

This all reminds me it was the Germans who discovered Google was capturing information on home WiFi networks via Google Maps' and their Streetview rolling cameras.

I wish I had confidence America had the political will to address privacy. I just don't think it exists, and leadership on IT Sec for the masses will have to come from outside the US.
    I agree. Although I still use Facebook I’m much more careful about it than I used to be. I’m also not sure that makes any difference.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post

I'm afraid the genie is out of the bottle on this one.

Aside from social media it is over two decades in of global and widespread use of email and it is STILL not even remotely secure and no viable options are getting support or adoption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I agree. Although I still use Facebook I’m much more careful about it than I used to be. I’m also not sure that makes any difference.
    Unless you're only using FB from a single computer and never uploading any photos to it or commenting on anything, your information is leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Unless you're only using FB from a single computer and never uploading any photos to it or commenting on anything, your information is leaking.
    How bout if you don't have a facebook? Of course, my information is probably leaking in other places. Like here.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    How bout if you don't have a facebook? Of course, my information is probably leaking in other places. Like here.

U-Ute has been selling your info to the highest bidder, which strangely enough is Mary Kay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    U-Ute has been selling your info to the highest bidder, which strangely enough is Mary Kay.
    Hmm. Any way I get a pink cadillac out of this?