I’ve found people are very confused about what net neutrality really is. My nephew had a long Facebook post about how he believed free market forces would regulate and prevent ISPs from actually throttling traffic. His think was that if your ISP did that you’d just join one that doesn’t and there would inevitably be one or more that do.

The problem is when you request a website it is likely coming to you across multiple competing ISPs. So even if you are a centurylink customer, you are frequently using Comcast’s network.

For example when I traceroute my servers for my business I’ll see hops across Comcast, centurylink and Cox. My home ISP is centurylink. If Comcast wants to throttle my server traffic without net neutrality they could even though I have no relationship to them.

So you can see how market forces really can’t regulate this and reward the good actors.

Conservative or liberal there is no reason to not support net neutrality as it really is what is best for consumers and actually all businesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk