Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Today’s tech oligarchs are worse than the robber barons"

It turns out the Left is more conservative than Republicans. They hate tech; I’m hearing on NPR daily that Facebook should be nationalized. Democratic politicians are hailing Zuckerberg before Congress for a flogging. It’s leftist teachers who tell my kids it’s best to take notes by hand.

But no, I’m not a red state republican. True progrssives are smart enough to know that tech has done nothing but make our lives better. Tech has led to a world where except for localized conflicts essentially about religious disputes that are ages old there is no more war, women’s rights are ascenteant, we have same sex marriage legalized and mainstreamed, Ebola killed a few thousand people instead of 500 million as the Spanish Flu epidemic did in the twentieth century, except for political gamesmanship there is no reason anybody starves, and violence from crime and wars has plummeted. Religion is irrelevant because tech has made the three horseman of all scriptural narratives—war, epidemics and famine— obsolete. (This has all happened of course because of the partnership between science and capitalism we call tech.)

The latest thing is that tech is responsible for giving us Donald Trump. But guess what. Donald Trump is turning out to be a great president for far Leftist ideals. Tariffs, tech bashing, nativism, these are all traditional paleo left causes that were championed by none other than Bernie Sanders.

People who are afraid of Facebook becoming Big Brother need to do more reading. Facebook just wants to make profits. It doesn’t want to take away our liberty. I’ll take that motivation any day over the impulses of government overreach. Indeed, it’s the success of the business community that is our surest fire weall against totalitarianism. It’s tech that beat the Soviet Union and has improved the lives of billions of Chinese (as well as Americans) and made them our military allies and trading partners. I’m not afraid of Facebook. But the response to fake news is more speech, not less. To quote Rousseau, “To burn is not to anwer.”
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    It turns out the Left is more conservative than Republicans. They hate tech; I’m hearing on NPR daily that Facebook should be nationalized. Democratic politicians are hailing Zuckerberg before Congress for a flogging. It’s leftist teachers who tell my kids it’s best to take notes by hand.

But no, I’m not a red state republican. True progrssives are smart enough to know that tech has done nothing but make our lives better. Tech has led to a world where except for localized conflicts essentially about religious disputes that are ages old there is no more war, women’s rights are ascenteant, we have same sex marriage legalized and mainstreamed, Ebola killed a few thousand people instead of 500 million as the Spanish Flu epidemic did in the twentieth century, except for political gamesmanship there is no reason anybody starves, and violence from crime and wars has plummeted. Religion is irrelevant because tech has made the three horseman of all scriptural narratives—war, epidemics and famine— obsolete. (This has all happened of course because of the partnership between science and capitalism we call tech.)

The latest thing is that tech is responsible for giving us Donald Trump. But guess what. Donald Trump is turning out to be a great president for far Leftist ideals. Tariffs, tech bashing, nativism, these are all traditional paleo left causes that were championed by none other than Bernie Sanders.

People who are afraid of Facebook becoming Big Brother need to do more reading. Facebook just wants to make profits. It doesn’t want to take away our liberty. I’ll take that motivation any day over the impulses of government overreach. Indeed, it’s the success of the business community that is our surest fire weall against totalitarianism. It’s tech that beat the Soviet Union and has improved the lives of billions of Chinese (as well as Americans) and made them our military allies and trading partners. I’m not afraid of Facebook. But the response to fake news is more speech, not less. To quote Rousseau, “To burn is not to anwer.”
    Preach on Seattle. Agree.

Really? (This article is not really about Apple.)

Apple’s Siri: the only search engine you’ll need

"Is Apple about to get into search? Probably not in the conventional sense, but Apple’s successful hire of Google’s John Giannandrea, shows there’s a new kid in town."

The writing’s been on the wall for a very long time.

Consumers are sick of being exposed to endless marketing, they don’t like their data being mined to provide advertisers and crafty political operators with tools they use to try to manipulate them.

They’ve read the stories about Cambridge Analytica and they are beginning to grasp what’s sexy about privacy and the need to make sure the sites, services and solutions providers they use are truly protecting the customer data they gather.

In other words, they want search services with new business models. Ad-blockers in Safari, the ultra-private Duck Duck Go search engine, and Mozilla’s Facebook Container Extension all reflect this emerging need.

This growing understanding will (I predict) eventually create a consumer blowback against firms that have not protected customer data responsibly – we’ve already seen the impact of that shift hit the fan to blow down the value of Facebook stock.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-04-2018 at 11:51 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Preach on Seattle. Agree.
    I am beginning to see that a free market will solve the privacy issues. People aren't going to put up with what Google et al. have been doing, and alternatives will emerge. If Big Data falls into the same trap that Standard Oil did back in the last century, then maybe antitrust remedies or regulation will be necessary. But i doubt it.

I hadn't realized that technology had made religion obsolete, as SU suggests, but maybe I just haven't gotten up to speed on that development.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I am beginning to see that a free market will solve the privacy issues. People aren't going to put up with what Google et al. have been doing
    I'm not so sure. People have been putting up with it for a while. Memories are short, especially when there's no harm involved. Privacy is the topic of the week, but next week will bring a new topic.

I guess, if privacy solutions are cheap and easy, they have a chance to succeed. But if they are expensive and require sacrifice...I think people would rather give up privacy than their smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm not so sure. People have been putting up with it for a while. Memories are short, especially when there's no harm involved. Privacy is the topic of the week, but next week will bring a new topic.

I guess, if privacy solutions are cheap and easy, they have a chance to succeed. But if they are expensive and require sacrifice...I think people would rather give up privacy than their smartphone.
    We will see.

--Yeats

I'm not afraid of tech either, nor of these big companies that I've been harping about, or at least I don't really care. I sit here on my Macbook, with my iPhone by my side and Apple Watch on my wrist that all are connected. I haven't walked in a store beyond a grocery store in probably 5 years because I shop exclusively on Amazon. I host my sites on AWS. I have Echo and Echo dots throughout my house. My house is automated and tied into Alexa and Apple's Homekit. I use many G Suite services and have used them throughout my business, I buy Adwords and use Chrome. I scroll through Facebook once a day, and also buy advertising there.

I'm obviously not scared of them or what they'll do because as SU mentioned, their motivation is to make money and answer to shareholders. Plus I find protection and security in obscurity. Meaning I'm playing the odds of the other millions (and billions) using the same services I am. However, I talk about privacy because while those companies may not be bad actors things like Cambridge Analytica expose what can be done when bad actors get access to mountains of data they are sitting on. Do we even flinch anymore when we hear of huge corporations being hacked and our data compromised? Further what is enemy governments get hold of that data, and what about if our own government gets access to that data?

I think there is far more at risk and I also think much of what SU posted about demonstrates the bubble he lives in. Tech overall is good, and has done many of the things that SU described, but it has also accelerated a lot of crime and hate. Sex trafficking of children, drug cartels and even the fact that I can drive a group of teenagers to school each morning who have no idea how to talk to each other.

This is going to sound like a jerk thing to say, but spend an evening in a Walmart and watch what people are using tech and info for. It isn't for the betterment of themselves or for enlightenment. Its used to look at pictures of cats and funny videos and to argue with people online. Well that is what I use it for anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I'm not afraid of tech either, nor of these big companies that I've been harping about, or at least I don't really care. I sit here on my Macbook, with my iPhone by my side and Apple Watch on my wrist that all are connected. I haven't walked in a store beyond a grocery store in probably 5 years because I shop exclusively on Amazon. I host my sites on AWS. I have Echo and Echo dots throughout my house. My house is automated and tied into Alexa and Apple's Homekit. I use many G Suite services and have used them throughout my business, I buy Adwords and use Chrome. I scroll through Facebook once a day, and also buy advertising there.

I'm obviously not scared of them or what they'll do because as SU mentioned, their motivation is to make money and answer to shareholders. Plus I find protection and security in obscurity. Meaning I'm playing the odds of the other millions (and billions) using the same services I am. However, I talk about privacy because while those companies may not be bad actors things like Cambridge Analytica expose what can be done when bad actors get access to mountains of data they are sitting on. Do we even flinch anymore when we hear of huge corporations being hacked and our data compromised? Further what is enemy governments get hold of that data, and what about if our own government gets access to that data?

I think there is far more at risk and I also think much of what SU posted about demonstrates the bubble he lives in. Tech overall is good, and has done many of the things that SU described, but it has also accelerated a lot of crime and hate. Sex trafficking of children, drug cartels and even the fact that I can drive a group of teenagers to school each morning who have no idea how to talk to each other.

This is going to sound like a jerk thing to say, but spend an evening in a Walmart and watch what people are using tech and info for. It isn't for the betterment of themselves or for enlightenment. Its used to look at pictures of cats and funny videos and to argue with people online. Well that is what I use it for anyway.
    I think what you’re saying is that as long as you stay away from involvement with governments and don’t make yourself notorious, nobody cares what you do on the web. That’s clearly correct.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I think what you’re saying is that as long as you stay away from involvement with governments and don’t make yourself notorious, nobody cares what you do on the web. That’s clearly correct.
    It's all a matter of perspective. As Merleau-Ponty stated: "Is not to see, to see from somewhere?" And as far as relevance is concerned, your generation has never been more irrelevant. All that "freedom" you and your peers ushered in was for naught:

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...ife-after-life

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-as-spiritual/
    Last edited by tooblue; 04-04-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Largest Black Lives Matter page on Facebook was a scam: report.

“The page had accrued 700,000 Facebook followers — almost double the amount of the official Black Lives Matter Facebook page — and is linked to several online fundraisers which garnered $100,000 in donations, according to CNN. At least some of the money was reportedly transferred to Australian bank accounts. CNN reported that Facebook only deleted the page a week after the news outlet reported it to the company.”

http://thehill.com/policy/technology...is-fake-report

--Yeats

If the tech oligarchs can’t beat the bad press, they’ll just buy it

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/0...l-just-buy-it/

--Yeats

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Just to help Seattle and Two Utes out of their bubbles ...

Technology's role in human trafficking cannot be ignored

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...not-be-ignored

Hate speech thrives underground - The EU is failing to engage with platforms where the most hateful and egregious terrorist content lives.

https://www.politico.eu/article/hate...reach-experts/

Mexico's Drug Cartels Love Social Media

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/z...up-to-mischief

Teenagers 'more confident talking to each other via smartphones than face-to-face' – study

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/mo...ace-study.html

What have we taught artificial intelligence through our use of tech: how to screw us both literally and figuratively:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ets/492536002/

And what does the inventor of HTML/CSS (the world wide web) as we know it think:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...es-regulations
    Last edited by tooblue; 04-11-2018 at 06:58 AM.

I can't get through the pay wall, but it sounds like this is Zuckerberg friendly?

I don't really like Zuckerberg - partly because the awful, boring Facebook movie got so much ridiculous praise - but it's a little disappointing to see everyone calling for his head. I think we love to pin blame onto one person, but in this case, the blame is one everyone who signed up for Facebook and repeatedly gave privacy permissions to various apps. Facebook from the start was very openly a way to give privacy away.

I can't get through the pay wall, but it sounds like this is Zuckerberg friendly?

I don't really like Zuckerberg - partly because the awful, boring Facebook movie got so much ridiculous praise - but it's a little disappointing to see everyone calling for his head. I think we love to pin blame onto one person, but in this case, the blame is one everyone who signed up for Facebook and repeatedly gave privacy permissions to various apps. Facebook from the start was very openly a way to give privacy away.

That's the last we'll see of sancho.

I don't completely disagree with the point you're trying to make, but in order to facilitate a less futile discussion, let me offer you a different spin on some of these headlines:

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Just to help Seattle and Two Utes out of their bubbles ...

Cars role in human trafficking cannot be ignored

Hate speech thrives on the telephone - The EU is failing to engage with platforms where the most hateful and egregious terrorist content lives.

Mexico's Drug Cartels Love Cars

And what does the inventor of the Internal Combustion Engine as we know it think:
    All technology can be weaponized.

via GIPHY

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I don't completely disagree with the point you're trying to make, but in order to facilitate a less futile discussion, let me offer you a different spin on some of these headlines:

All technology has been and will be weaponized.
    Fixed it for you. In fact the oldest technology we have, language, is repeatedly weaponized (see: Donald Trump). Per your notion above, any futility in this discussion lies in making comparisons. It's more than just comparing apples to oranges. Your spin above is attempting to compare rocks to oranges.

Cars and the telephone did not re-wire the human brain. In contrast, the internet is doing just that:

Greenfield suggests that 'mind change', brought on by increasing internet use and the popularity of social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, will be the new climate change.
    Last edited by tooblue; 04-11-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Zuckerberg: It's inevitable that social media be regulated.

Ranking Dem Frank Pallone said he's been working on legislation, but is pessimistic that Congress will pass anything. "I've seen it over & over - we have hearings, and nothing happens".

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...nevitable.html

Congress is not just extremely dysfunctional, many have no idea how technology works, or the business model that drives it.

How to take on the task of breaking up the 21st century robber barons if so few in power understand what's happening?

Since college the New York Times has been my foundational news source. I have a hoodie I wear on weekends that has “The New York Times” in the iconic lettering emblazoned on it. Unfortunately, among the very worst things about Trump is his enemies’ reactions to him. Since Trump, the New York Times has gone of the rails and become Fox of the Left, though better written and more comprehensive and at least including some token opposing voices, to be sure. Now The Wall Street Journal and Andrew Sullivan are the rational center. I’ve started paying more attention to the WSJ for that reason. I hope that this gets straightened out after Trump.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Since college the New York Times has been my foundational news source. I have a hoodie I wear on weekends that has “The New York Times” in the iconic lettering emblazoned on it. Unfortunately, among the very worst things about Trump is his enemies’ reactions to him. Since Trump, the New York Times has gone of the rails and become Fox of the Left, though better written and more comprehensive and at least including some token opposing voices, to be sure. Now The Wall Street Journal and Andrew Sullivan are the rational center. I’ve started paying more attention to the WSJ for that reason. I hope that this gets straightened out after Trump.
    My experience has been the same.

--Yeats

Palantir Knows Everything About You

Peter Thiel’s data-mining company is using War on Terror tools to track American citizens. The scary thing? Palantir is desperate for new customers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2...r-peter-thiel/

Founded in 2004 by Peter Thiel and some fellow PayPal alumni, Palantir cut its teeth working for the Pentagon and the CIA in Afghanistan and Iraq. The company’s engineers and products don’t do any spying themselves; they’re more like a spy’s brain, collecting and analyzing information that’s fed in from the hands, eyes, nose, and ears. The software combs through disparate data sources—financial documents, airline reservations, cellphone records, social media postings—and searches for connections that human analysts might miss. It then presents the linkages in colorful, easy-to-interpret graphics that look like spider webs. U.S. spies and special forces loved it immediately; they deployed Palantir to synthesize and sort the blizzard of battlefield intelligence. It helped planners avoid roadside bombs, track insurgents for assassination, even hunt down Osama bin Laden. The military success led to federal contracts on the civilian side. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services uses Palantir to detect Medicare fraud. The FBI uses it in criminal probes. The Department of Homeland Security deploys it to screen air travelers and keep tabs on immigrants.

--Yeats

Palantir Knows Everything About You

Peter Thiel’s data-mining company is using War on Terror tools to track American citizens. The scary thing? Palantir is desperate for new customers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2...r-peter-thiel/
    Palantir is only what’s put into it.

We use Palantir in Utah....as a data mining source of police reports. There are dozens of report systems, so people were easily able to avoid issues in Salt Lake because no one could access Murray’s reports.

Palantir allows access to those reports....but that’s all we can access.

Maybe the FBI’s version knows everything about you, but the local one just knows what you’ve told the police in a report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A security guy at JPMorgan spied on employees emails and phone calls using the secretive software tool Palantir

http://www.businessinsider.com/secur...alantir-2018-4

Interesting story.

--Yeats

Alexa and Siri can hear hidden commands. You can’t

http://nationalpost.com/news/world/a...mands-you-cant

"Over the past two years, researchers in China and the United States have begun demonstrating that they can send hidden commands that are undetectable to the human ear to Apple’s Siri, Amazon’s Alexa and Google’s Assistant. Inside university labs, the researchers have been able to secretly activate the artificial intelligence systems on smartphones and smart speakers, making them dial phone numbers or open websites. In the wrong hands, the technology could be used to unlock doors, wire money or buy stuff online — simply with music playing over the radio.

A group of students from University of California, Berkeley, and Georgetown University showed in 2016 that they could hide commands in white noise played over loudspeakers and through YouTube videos to get smart devices to turn on airplane mode or open a website.

This month, some of those Berkeley researchers published a research paper that went further, saying they could embed commands directly into recordings of music or spoken text. So while a human listener hears someone talking or an orchestra playing, Amazon’s Echo speaker might hear an instruction to add something to your shopping list."

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Alexa and Siri can hear hidden commands. You can’t

http://nationalpost.com/news/world/a...mands-you-cant

"Over the past two years, researchers in China and the United States have begun demonstrating that they can send hidden commands that are undetectable to the human ear to Apple’s Siri, Amazon’s Alexa and Google’s Assistant. Inside university labs, the researchers have been able to secretly activate the artificial intelligence systems on smartphones and smart speakers, making them dial phone numbers or open websites. In the wrong hands, the technology could be used to unlock doors, wire money or buy stuff online — simply with music playing over the radio.

A group of students from University of California, Berkeley, and Georgetown University showed in 2016 that they could hide commands in white noise played over loudspeakers and through YouTube videos to get smart devices to turn on airplane mode or open a website.

This month, some of those Berkeley researchers published a research paper that went further, saying they could embed commands directly into recordings of music or spoken text. So while a human listener hears someone talking or an orchestra playing, Amazon’s Echo speaker might hear an instruction to add something to your shopping list."

https://www.utahby5.com/showthread.p...ecurity-thread

There is an alt-right friendly version of Twitter and it is as awful as you’d think.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/conspi...rom-the-inside

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    There is an alt-right friendly version of Twitter and it is as awful as you’d think.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/conspi...rom-the-inside

Ah, social media. The digital two-edged sword of our era.

--Yeats

Ah, social media. The digital two-edged sword of our era.
    How is it not a one-edged sword?

How is it not a one-edged sword?
    It makes both good things and bad things possible. Maybe more bad than good.

--Yeats