It turns out the Left is more conservative than Republicans. They hate tech; I’m hearing on NPR daily that Facebook should be nationalized. Democratic politicians are hailing Zuckerberg before Congress for a flogging. It’s leftist teachers who tell my kids it’s best to take notes by hand.

But no, I’m not a red state republican. True progrssives are smart enough to know that tech has done nothing but make our lives better. Tech has led to a world where except for localized conflicts essentially about religious disputes that are ages old there is no more war, women’s rights are ascenteant, we have same sex marriage legalized and mainstreamed, Ebola killed a few thousand people instead of 500 million as the Spanish Flu epidemic did in the twentieth century, except for political gamesmanship there is no reason anybody starves, and violence from crime and wars has plummeted. Religion is irrelevant because tech has made the three horseman of all scriptural narratives—war, epidemics and famine— obsolete. (This has all happened of course because of the partnership between science and capitalism we call tech.)

The latest thing is that tech is responsible for giving us Donald Trump. But guess what. Donald Trump is turning out to be a great president for far Leftist ideals. Tariffs, tech bashing, nativism, these are all traditional paleo left causes that were championed by none other than Bernie Sanders.

People who are afraid of Facebook becoming Big Brother need to do more reading. Facebook just wants to make profits. It doesn’t want to take away our liberty. I’ll take that motivation any day over the impulses of government overreach. Indeed, it’s the success of the business community that is our surest fire weall against totalitarianism. It’s tech that beat the Soviet Union and has improved the lives of billions of Chinese (as well as Americans) and made them our military allies and trading partners. I’m not afraid of Facebook. But the response to fake news is more speech, not less. To quote Rousseau, “To burn is not to anwer.”