Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When will the market crash: 2017 edition

A perfect Poe.

I'm not convinced he ever graduated from high school, let alone Wharton.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Like the other similar hoaxes it still underscores the problem that it is completely plausible if not absurdly believable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The most believable lies start with a kernel of truth.

In this case, nobody would be surprised if he actually tweeted that.

The funny thing is the author of the hoax was surprised that people actually believed him. He posted it completely as a joke.

Last edited by U-Ute; 02-06-2018 at 08:46 AM.

From an economic standpoint, it's interesting to think about how long this downturn due to the Coronavirus is going to last.

The foundation of the bull market started to crack when manufacturers in China started shutting down. This will be reflected in some companies Q1 financial results coming out in the next month or two.

The travel industry is now being hit hard. Flights, cruises, hotels, and destination resorts are feeling the sting already, and it will only get worse over the next few weeks. Results for this will span over Q1 and Q2 financial results.

Small business are going to be hurt as activities such as the trade shows and conferences, NCAA tournament games, and other events get cancelled or limit crowds. Think of the restaurants, parking, shops, etc. that depend on these crowds. The Qualtrics conference was supposed to be downtown SLC this week, and 4 weeks before, I couldn't find a single hotel room downtown. Once it cancelled, occupancy opened up, and I imagine it's pretty easy to get a table at almost any downtown restaurant this week.

Many of these companies may have to start laying off employees as cost-cutting measures. How will the market react to employment numbers moving the other direction for the first quarter in a few years?

Ii think we can hope for a recovery in Q3 as life gets back to normal. This is a unique market force that hopefully has a distinct end, as long as we can weather the short term effects. But there may be some longer lasting effects
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.