Thread: When will the market crash: 2017 edition

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    But this run has been going on since 2008.

runup.jpg
    Yes, its been a tremendous time to be in the market. Last time we saw something like this (2015 notwithstanding) was the 9 year growth from 1991-1999, which was followed by a fairly nasty 3 year correction. I think we're all a bit nervous, and that tax cut (at least at the corporate level) would certainly help keep this thing going.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Yes, its been a tremendous time to be in the market. Last time we saw something like this (2015 notwithstanding) was the 9 year growth from 1991-1999, which was followed by a fairly nasty 3 year correction. I think we're all a bit nervous, and that tax cut (at least at the corporate level) would certainly help keep this thing going.
    I doubt it.

The weaknesses in the market right now are supply side. People with mortgages and kids don't have any money left over to buy things. From what I understand, this run has less to do with underlying financials and more to do with stock buybacks. The cynic in me thinks that board members are using buybacks as a way to meet share price goals in order to get bonuses.

I am not suggesting that if the market "tanks" it will go back to early 2009 levels. It is up 25% since the election, which is an astounding percentage. So even if it tanks 25% (which would be huge) it would be where it was a year ago.