Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The quarterback competition 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Have any of you guys watched Huntley?
    I think we all have. Seems he's improved since then, though.

Troy's experience? Like when he fumbled vs Washington and Oregon, costing us those games?

Like against Colorado, when to start the second half, we had three straight trips to the red zone and scored 6 points? We should have blown Colorado and Oregon out.

What great experience does he bring?

Like all the red zone turnovers vs BYU?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think we all have. Seems he's improved since then, though.
    Have you seen him since the bowl game?

Troy's experience? Like when he fumbled vs Washington and Oregon, costing us those games?

Like against Colorado, when to start the second half, we had three straight trips to the red zone and scored 6 points? We should have blown Colorado and Oregon out.

What great experience does he bring?

Like all the red zone turnovers vs BYU?
    I think there is value in experience. I think Troy can learn from past mistakes. Huntley will first have to make those mistakes and then learn from them. It's fine. He's our guy. But I wouldn't just discount actual game experience as unimportant. Especially for a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think there is value in experience. I think Troy can learn from past mistakes. Huntley will first have to make those mistakes and then learn from them. It's fine. He's our guy. But I wouldn't just discount actual game experience as unimportant. Especially for a QB.
    No one has discounted game experience. It is important.

The good news is, we have four games that Huntley, Troy, Jon Hays should be able to win to start the year.

Then a week off. Come Stanford, Huntley will have a lot of valuable experience.

Stanford will be a test for sure. But, they are a bit overrated as well.

USC is a loss. Doesn't matter who our QB is.

After that, we should be 5-1 with a very experienced QB.

Because of that, I want talent over experience. When we "need" an experienced QB, Huntley will be experienced.

So, you haven't seen him?
    I don't doubt that he outperformed Williams this Fall. I don't think he'd be named the starter otherwise. I'm just saying that I've seen every minute of his meaningful play.

I certainly dont think the coaches have fallen in love with themselves or with their offense. I think this is what it is- Huntley beat out Williams and gives the team the best chance to win. Time will tell.

Look at our schedule. With "average" QB play, we could start out 9-1.

Troy is a below average QB.

Let's find an average QB.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I certainly dont think the coaches have fallen in love with themselves or with their offense. I think this is what it is- Huntley beat out Williams and gives the team the best chance to win. Time will tell.
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    FWIW, i heard that they may have reached consensus, but Whitt wanted Williams. That is why it took so long. Staff is concerned that TW will become a turnover machine in the P12 games.
    This better work, lest Kyle never be on the wrong side of such a decision again.

This is a one-time deal for Taylor, IMO.

FWIW, i heard that they may have reached consensus, but Whitt wanted Williams. That is why it took so long. Staff is concerned that TW will become a turnover machine in the P12 games.
    I just noticed this in your post.

Did you mean to say "TW will become a turnover machine" or TH?

Could Huntley turn it over more than Troy? I hope not.

I just noticed this in your post.

Did you mean to say "TW will become a turnover machine" or TH?

Could Huntley turn it over more than Troy? I hope not.
    TW. that is a reason they picked Huntley.
    Last edited by concerned; 08-21-2017 at 01:11 PM.

So, he's never developed a QB? At the pee wee and high school level.

He's never beaten a P5 school with a high powered offense? Once

He's never taken a shit storm of a program and turned into one of the best in the country? ???

What has he not proven? That his offense and player development can translate to consistent success at the D-1, let alone FBS level.

Can he develop QB's? At the D1 level? Maybe.

I'd argue yes, look at his passing history (Folsom High results, last year his QB was a former walkon, and, oh, Jake Browning, arguably the most efficient QB in college football).

Can he call plays? He did great at the high school level and at the college level.

Now, he lacks experience at this level but unproven? No.

Where is he "unproven"?
    Here is his coaching resume. Zero experience coaching at the D-1 level. At a level that matters, he hasn't proven anything yet. I'm hoping like mad that he is an undiscovered savant at college football offense and quarterback development, but I'll take an approach that rational BYU fans (if such a thing exists) should have taken with Detmer being hired as BYU's OC. Cautious optimism.

2001–2002 Sacramento (CA) Christian Brothers HS (Asst.)
    2003–2004 Folsom (CA) HS
    2012–2015 Folsom (CA) HS (Co-HC)
    2016 Eastern Washington (QB)
    2017-present Utah (OC/QB)
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 08-21-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Here is his coaching resume. Zero experience coaching at the D-1 level. At a level that matters, he hasn't proven anything yet. I'm hoping like mad that he is an undiscovered savant at college football offense and quarterback development, but I'll take an approach that rational BYU fans (if such a thing exists) should have taken with Detmer being hired as BYU's OC. Cautious optimism.

2001–2002 Sacramento (CA) Christian Brothers HS (Asst.)
    2003–2004 Folsom (CA) HS
    2012–2015 Folsom (CA) HS (Co-HC)
    2016 Eastern Washington (QB)
    2017-present Utah (OC/QB)
    FWIW, Eastern Washington is D-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    FWIW, Eastern Washington is D-1.
    Yup. He's not being rational. He's being sensational.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Important thing here is that Roderick no longer has anything to do with the the offense. That has to be worth about +20 pts/game.

Yup. He's not being rational. He's being sensational.
    Sorry, technical error. Still, FCS vs. FBS is a big jump.

It made my day to be accused of being "sensational" by Utah.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

TW. that is a reason they picked Huntley.
    From what little I've seen of Huntley, he is a gunslinger like Travis Wilson was early on. That usually leads to turnovers.

picking Troy Williams was the safe move. If its 2015 all over again and Utah opens up with Michigan, maybe you can't get by with Huntley and you go with the Senior. Utah's schedule is light enough early that it gives the Soph some time for some game experience. Its a risky bold move and one Utah has been afraid to pull the trigger on in the past. I'll give the coaches the benefit of the doubt that Huntley graded out higher and that he won the job outright.

If you watch EWU last year, its simply shotgun, no fancy formations 4-5 yard quick short passes. Its the same 15-20 plays over and over. It reminds me a little of Urban Meyers offense. Maybe Huntley is just better suited for that than Williams.

While many believed Williams would naturally return as the starting quarterback, Whittingham praised Huntley’s escapability, saying that he had a leg-up on the competition.
    “(Escapability) is a big component of it, of the spread offenses,” Whittingham said. “The quarterback extending the game and QB-run game is a very predominant part of what we’re going to do. It’s where (Huntley) gets a big advantage.”

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45498926&nid=635
    Last edited by Scorcho; 08-21-2017 at 03:57 PM.

I'm nervous about Huntley being the starter. I had bought into SCP's theory of upper-classmen qb's returning for their senior year having good seasons. I also think a lot of William's struggles last year came from playing injured the last half of the year, plus not having great receivers, or offensive play calling. I was hoping to see him come in healthy, with renewed confidence, a better receiving corps, better play calling, and excel.

We may still see Troy, either due to Huntley being injured or ineffective. I hope if Huntley is ineffective, they give him a long leash, but at the same time would hate to see cost us any losses.

That being said, I'm sure the decision was not made lightly by the coaches who have watched them both through fall camp.

FWIW.

Twelve Players Who Can Transform Their Teams From Contenders to Champions

Andy Staple mentions Huntley. That was quick.

TYLER HUNTLEY, QB, UTAH

Senior Troy Williams, the 2016 starter, was named a captain this season, but Utes coach Kyle Whittingham left open the possibility of a Trevor Knight situation—remember, Knight was named a captain at Oklahoma in ’15, but Mayfield won the starting job. On Monday, Utah named Huntley the starter, and the sophomore will play behind a rebuilt line in the offense that first-year coordinator Troy Taylor brought from Eastern Washington. For the Utes to finally get over the hump in the Pac-12 South, they’ll need a dynamic offense anddynamic quarterback play. Taylor’s scheme seems to fit the bill; now the Utes just need Huntley to run it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

People sure like make up things to fit their narrative -- unsurprisingly. People argue just for the sake of arguing? Again, not surprised.

Define "running game". Is a short-throw to the RB a running game? What's the context?

Questionable character? Ok -- don't disagree. Whit has been known as a high character guy, I guess we'll see how this plays out. Talk about character, at least Utah doesn't airbrush players' tatoos out of its programs or hires coaches who call-out an 18 yo decided to attend Duke. There is so much more.

QB -- I have no idea if the coaches made the right decision. Do you have enough information that he's not the right QB? Or, are you so narrow-minded that you are asking the question just so you can possibly poke holes? Who, in this forum, has enough knowledge and insights to tell you "yes" the coaches made the correct decision? If the coaches made the wrong decision, then make another one. If they continue to make the wrong decisions, then perhaps it's time for a new coach. Let's see what the on-field results bring.

Quote Originally Posted by EutawStUtesFan View Post
    Important thing here is that Roderick no longer has anything to do with the the offense. That has to be worth about +20 pts/game.
    Well then we should win every game since we will be averaging 51 points a game instead of 31.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    People sure like make up things to fit their narrative -- unsurprisingly. People argue just for the sake of arguing? Again, not surprised.

Define "running game". Is a short-throw to the RB a running game? What's the context?

Questionable character? Ok -- don't disagree. Whit has been known as a high character guy, I guess we'll see how this plays out. Talk about character, at least Utah doesn't airbrush players' tatoos out of its programs or hires coaches who call-out an 18 yo decided to attend Duke. There is so much more.

QB -- I have no idea if the coaches made the right decision. Do you have enough information that he's not the right QB? Or, are you so narrow-minded that you are asking the question just so you can possibly poke holes? Who, in this forum, has enough knowledge and insights to tell you "yes" the coaches made the correct decision? If the coaches made the wrong decision, then make another one. If they continue to make the wrong decisions, then perhaps it's time for a new coach. Let's see what the on-field results bring.
    I have no clue what you are trying to say. You are all over the place.

My bad...it was posted in response to tooblue's comments.

Originally Posted by tooblue
    Let's break this down ... The QB situation, taking on transfers of not just questionable, but highly questionable character, and all after turning the offense over to an unproven FCS coach, in the context of struggling to find success with college football hall of fame coaches he has had on his staff, reeks of certain desperation. Whittingham is desperate to get over a hump that likely just isn't scalable for a program like Utah.

On some level, you've got to admire the decision making: he's all in this season on maybe trying something radically different and changing Utah's football fortunes. Of course it could also be the perfect storm of poor decision making that signals Utah, as a program, under Whittingham has peaked, and is on the downhill slope.

Tactically, it makes sense, especially if the coaches have determined they aren't going to have much of a running game. Of course, through the media we have been told, the Utes will plan to throw it 7 - 8 plays, and you just brought in (questionable character et al) a true difference maker at receiver. But You're telling me this sophomore is the best bet to get him the ball?

I have no clue what you are trying to say. You are all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by EutawStUtesFan View Post
    I know I'm probably the only Ute fan who doesn't blame Roderick for Utah's offensive struggles, but the OC is only as good as his players. Utah has had below average QBs in the PAC12 and well below average WRs. With very good OL and RBs, it's a no brainer to run the ball. The trouble came on third and 8 when none of the WRs could get open. Maybe it was Roderrick's fault the talent wasn't better but I don't blame him for the offensive troubles.

But what do I know? Hopefully Taylor has the talent to run his offense.