Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    The two deep for this week has just been released. Kavika is still listed as the starter. Is that good news for this week or or is this completely unrelated to who's actually in position to play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom with "sources."

haha

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Hey!!! I made the junior varsity!

The CB depth chart is interesting.

Watching the game I didn't see Kenric Young spend much time in at CB.

I saw Blackmon and Jaylon Johnson play together a lot.

I think the depth chart for CB is certainly much more fluid.

Good piece.

Amy Donaldson: Unique friendship of McBride and Edwards continues to uplift and inspire

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...d-inspire.html

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I have always felt this entire BYU coaching staff is in over their heads. Bronco left BYU in the lurch, and this was the best the school could do, after Navy's coach backed out (maybe because BYU fans weren't thrilled about him, dreaming of their vaunted history passing the ball against weak competition), and because of the Honor Code and overall BYU weirdness. I was surprised at how competitaive they were last season, but attributed it to the team really being Bronco's team. And it was; Williams, Hill, were the heart of that team, and there was Bronco's ethos and intelligence on defense. It's not unusual for a less than competent successor to live for a while on his predecessor's spoils. See Crowton. This is the season I have expected to see the wheels starting to come off at BYU football.

At best, given how narrow is BYU's recruiting base, compounded now by its independence and all the attendant disadvantages, whether in football or basketball BYU's path to success is highly contingent. They should have gone all out to hire Navy's coach, who has thrived in such an inhospitable and challenging environment. I think we're going to see BYU fall further than it did under Crowton.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 09-04-2017 at 02:28 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Darren Carrington told the press today that he was aware of the comments that BYU fans have been making about him and his addition to the team. Should be fun to watch on Saturday.

After watching parts of BYU's first two games, I re-watched last year's rivalry game. Surprise, Taysom Hill really was the better QB on BYU's roster last season. Unsurprisingly, Jamal Williams was better than anything BYU has now. I haven't heard or read anyone talking about it, but Kurtz and Jurgens were better than anything BYU has now at WR, as well. Throw in six turnovers, and BYU managed to make a game of it last year. If Utah can avoid turnovers, or even just limit them to one or two, they should win by 10-14. Moss ran well against BYU last year, and McCormick did some nice things as well. Carrington will be the best WR on the field. BYU basically has two things going for them, a nice LB corps, and its a rivalry game so anything can happen -- that's it.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I have always felt this entire BYU coaching staff is in over their heads. Bronco left BYU in the lurch, and this was the best the school could do, after Navy's coach backed out (maybe because BYU fans weren't thrilled about him, dreaming of their vaunted history passing the ball against weak competition), and because of the Honor Code and overall BYU weirdness. I was surprised at how competitaive they were last season, but attributed it to the team really being Bronco's team. And it was; Williams, Hill, were the heart of that team, and there was Bronco's ethos and intelligence on defense. It's not unusual for a less than competent successor to live for a while on his predecessor's spoils. See Crowton. This is the season I have expected to see the wheels starting to come off at BYU football.

At best, given how narrow is BYU's recruiting base, compounded now by its independence and all the attendant disadvantages, whether in football or basketball BYU's path to success is highly contingent. They should have gone all out to hire Navy's coach, who has thrived in such an inhospitable and challenging environment. I think we're going to see BYU fall further than it did under Crowton.
    Niumatalolo refused to accept Holmoe's demand that he hire Detmer, Mahe and the WR coach and abandon the option.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Niumatalolo refused to accept Holmoe's demand that he hire Detmer, Mahe and the WR coach and abandon the option.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Yup. Thank goodness.

Niumatololo with byu's recruits and resources would be a weapon.

I don't dispute the overall gist of this post, but this specific game terrifies me.
    The byu kids are humbled & hungry & desperate. The utah kids are taking a new QB on the road against an FBS opponent for the first time. Provo is a tough place for visiting teams.
    I think it's going to be a dogfight.

I am not surprised that Vegas favors the byu.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Per Bill Riley, Luafatasaga was running well off to the side of the field

Don't disagree. And, while we played a terrific FCS team in UND, TDS did play LSU inside of its backyard. I guess I'm just not the type who jump on an opponent, even if it is BYU, so early. I'm excited about the prospect of our team, but I try to manage my expectations.

Our secondary needs a lot of work. Our LB corp needs to play smarter. Our WR corp, other than DC, still needs to prove itself; I don't care how fast you are or how well you run your route, if you hare stones for hands. We did give up a sh!t ton of points to UCLA last year. Sure, our defense has a terrific reputation and is tough, but it was not the best in P12 last year and we tend to give up on big plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I don't dispute the overall gist of this post, but this specific game terrifies me.
    The byu kids are humbled & hungry & desperate. The utah kids are taking a new QB on the road against an FBS opponent for the first time. Provo is a tough place for visiting teams.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Don't disagree. And, while we played a terrific FCS team in UND, TDS did play LSU inside of its backyard. I guess I'm just not the type who jump on an opponent, even if it is BYU, so early. I'm excited about the prospect of our team, but I try to manage my expectations.

Our secondary needs a lot of work. Our LB corp needs to play smarter. Our WR corp, other than DC, still needs to prove itself; I don't care how fast you are or how well you run your route, if you hare stones for hands. We did give up a sh!t ton of points to UCLA last year. Sure, our defense has a terrific reputation and is tough, but it was not the best in P12 last year and we tend to give up on big plays.
    Whoa. Relax man.

Ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post

You can be as hungry and humble and desperate as you want.

Like Bill Riley said, that doesn't make you faster or more talented.

BYU's problem is that they just aren't that good.

Their recruiting classes the last 5 years put them a distant 13th in the PAC-12.

If it wasn't for their 37 year old JR QB, they'd have nothing of much note.

Kaufusi and Takitaki are so overrated.

Pau'u is a G5 all star (ie, backup/end of roster guy at P5).

Older Warner has talent but is soft.

Younger Warner and Lake are too slow to play CB. They do have potential at safety though.

BYU just isn't that good.

Pretty relaxed here. I'm not the one who's playing. I do need to "relax" a bit in my own competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Whoa. Relax man.

Ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post

Younger Warner and Lake are too slow to play CB. They do have potential at safety though.
    This exemplifies the problem with BYU's secondaries. Lake and Warner appear to be pretty good safeties. However, that also means they are about the fastest DBs on the team, so they end getting moved to corner, where they are just OK.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Yup. Thank goodness.

Niumatololo with byu's recruits and resources would be a weapon.
    I totally agree. He and his system could have made BYU formidable. Stupid BYU.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Per Bill Riley, Luafatasaga was running well off to the side of the field

. Was he running well on the side of the field or running way off on the side of the field?

I HATE THE COUGARS!

Dahlelama's latest work is awesome...

Last edited by U-Ute; 09-05-2017 at 08:35 AM.

On a cautious note, we are all fooling ourselves if we are not just a little nervous about what the oddsmakers in Vegas know or understand that we do not.

--Yeats

On a cautious note, we are all fooling ourselves if we are not just a little nervous about what the oddsmakers in Vegas know or understand that we do not.
    Yes and no.

I think they know about as much as we do about Utah. Plus, lines are meant to influence betting, not an actual predictor of the game.

That being said, these people are eerily accurate.

So looking at receivers, covering Carrington is a problem for BYU. (Our other receivers have speed too, but Carrington is the big problem.) On the other side, I guess Trinnaman (sp?) is Utah's problem, maybe Bushman (6'5", 250 lbs.) too. How does BYU deal with Carrington, and how do the Utes deal with those two?

--Yeats

So looking at receivers, covering Carrington is a problem for BYU. (Our other receivers have speed too, but Carrington is the big problem.) On the other side, I guess Trinnaman (sp?) is Utah's problem, maybe Bushman (6'5", 250 lbs.) too. How does BYU deal with Carrington, and how do the Utes deal with those two?

Bushman is their best receiver, and on Saturday was Mangum's go-to target, esp. when he needed help. Trinnaman is fast, but cant catch and has been a big disappointment more or less. The other receivers are slow and soft.

I heard John Pease say yesterday that Bushman is the real deal, a young Gronkowski. He said we will put Chase Hansen on Bushman. He said he would be reluctant to put Chase at LB if Kavika cannot play, because he is so fast and we need him in space and coverage.

If we get up 10 points quickly, and BYU is unable to show anything on offense, this team will quit. They'll feed off the negative energy inside LES and completely disintegrate. That's when we turn the game into a rout. Just like 2011. If BYU turns it over a lot like in 2011 (and in Mangum's last start against Utah) and we don't (unlike last year), there ain't no HC on their sideline playing in his final game to play for.

If I'm Utah, I'm not worried about any WR's. Just play straight man.

That's three on three or two on two.

Next, OL vs DL. Again, if I'm Utah, I'm not worried. 4 vs 5.

I play my two LB's (Tauteoli, Luafatasaga hopefully, or Barton/Thompson). One in the run game, one on Bushman. 2 vs 2.

I have now covered their entire offense with two players left, my two safeties.

I bracket Ballard on Bushman.

I love Chase around and use him to make plays.

If BYU beats me, they beat me with their WR's (and that's not happening).

The good news is, BYU is so bad, no disguising is needed. My CB's will win their battles. My DL will win theirs. As long as the LB's tackle, then we've won the run game.

That just leaves Bushman, and I have a LB and two safeties to cover him.

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Bushman is their best receiver, and on Saturday was Mangum's go-to target, esp. when he needed help. Trinnaman is fast, but cant catch and has been a big disappointment more or less. The other receivers are slow and soft.

I heard John Pease say yesterday that Bushman is the real deal, a young Gronkowski. He said we will put Chase Hansen on Bushman. He said he would be reluctant to put Chase at LB if Kavika cannot play, because he is so fast and we need him in space and coverage.
    Trinnaman is a Cougar special: always awesome in camp, always a disappointment when actual games happen.

Bushman is legit. He is the prototypical Cougar tight end: big, not super speedy, but great at creating space with his body. I assume he will be the focus of the defense (what else do you focus on?), and we're likely to see different looks for the coverage on him (lb, occasional nickel back, safety help, etc). He is the guy with the potential to make plays.

I'm more worried about how we match up with them on D. They have a pretty good D (as opposed to the abomination of an offense run by Tysman). I'm most concerned about our ability to score when we get in the red zone. That was our problem last year (in the Y game and overall); and it's probably the strength of the BYU defense. They gave up a lot of yards against LSU, but in the red zone they were fairly stingy. They had a goal line stand and a couple of times where they limited LSU to field goals (or attempts, at least) when they really were moving the ball at will up to that point. If we handle our business in the red zone Saturday, chalk up LAUte's 1-14 point win; if we struggle there (with a new qb, untested WRs, and an o-line that needs work), we're in for a barn burner.

BYU has never learned you don't give storied alumni their first huge break in the coaching ranks (Hopefully we've learned after what we did with Brian Johnson). BYU's offense disintegrated when Robbie Bosco was OC. Bronco greased his own skids by getting rid of Anae and bringing on Brandon Doman. And now we have Ty Detmer. They were horrible offensively last year against the upper crust of their schedule and this year appears to be no different. Their best play in Mangum's first year was the jump ball to perhaps the most physically gifted set of WRs BYU has ever had. They don't have that this year, nor does Mangum have Taysom's legs, and there's no Jamaal Williams in the backfield. And unlike Crowton's final years, there's no Todd Watkins, Austin Collie or Curtis Brown, either. This BYU offense is as bad, if not worse, than their 2003 team, which we shut out.