Thread: Potential big update to transfer rule

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Does anyone else think this opens the door to more shady dealings? For example, back-door contacts through intermediaries with good or promising players?
    Absolutely. Bag men galore. More shady people making deals in alleys.

You think college basketball is shady? Football will become just like it if not worse.

Two new NCAA rules have been announced that will have some impact on recruiting moving forward. The first, which has received the most attention, is not allowing coaches to block the ability of a transferring player to receive financial aid if that player transfers to a blocked school. This is being talked about like it is a huge change. IMO, it is not such a big change because players were always free to transfer wherever they wanted. The original school could only prevent them from receiving a scholarship the first year. This is what USU did to David Collette. The second, allows a football player to play in as many as 4 games and still redshirt. This is a significant rule change that will benefit both players and schools. I like both changes.

Conferences will be allowed to have stricter rules for in-conference transfers and it will be interesting to see how this plays out in PAC 12 and elsewhere.

There has been no decision on allowing players to become immediately eligible upon transferring. I think they should, but that there should be some limitations. Players would not be immediately eligible unless the transfer was initiated during certain time-periods. For football/basketball, the intent to transfer must be announced prior to May 15. I picked May 15 because at least up until a couple of years ago, players and schools signed financial aid agreements for the following school year before the end of spring semester. May 15 is, I believe a fair day for that to happen.

I would also like the NCAA to set forth a firm penalty for schools that initiate contact with players before they inform their current school of the intent to transfer. IMO, the penalty should be to eliminate 5 scholarships from football/ 1 from basketball for a period of 2 years. I would also be in favor of limiting the number of transfers a school can take in any given year. Two in football and one in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Two new NCAA rules have been announced that will have some impact on recruiting moving forward. The first, which has received the most attention, is not allowing coaches to block the ability of a transferring player to receive financial aid if that player transfers to a blocked school. This is being talked about like it is a huge change. IMO, it is not such a big change because players were always free to transfer wherever they wanted. The original school could only prevent them from receiving a scholarship the first year. This is what USU did to David Collette. The second, allows a football player to play in as many as 4 games and still redshirt. This is a significant rule change that will benefit both players and schools. I like both changes.

Conferences will be allowed to have stricter rules for in-conference transfers and it will be interesting to see how this plays out in PAC 12 and elsewhere.

There has been no decision on allowing players to become immediately eligible upon transferring. I think they should, but that there should be some limitations. Players would not be immediately eligible unless the transfer was initiated during certain time-periods. For football/basketball, the intent to transfer must be announced prior to May 15. I picked May 15 because at least up until a couple of years ago, players and schools signed financial aid agreements for the following school year before the end of spring semester. May 15 is, I believe a fair day for that to happen.

I would also like the NCAA to set forth a firm penalty for schools that initiate contact with players before they inform their current school of the intent to transfer. IMO, the penalty should be to eliminate 5 scholarships from football/ 1 from basketball for a period of 2 years. I would also be in favor of limiting the number of transfers a school can take in any given year. Two in football and one in basketball.
    Football has 85 kids on scholarship, basketball just 13. That's a 6.5-1 ratio. So a 2-1 ratio for accepting transfers from other schools just isn't going to cut it. Make it 5-1 and then we can talk. And quite frankly, I don't see hoops pigeonholing itself into allowing only one such transfer per year. So the numbers and ratio are gonna have to be a lot higher. I like your idea, but 2-1 is totally inadequate.