Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do You Know the Way to San Jose? Spartans visit Utah 9/16/17

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    We fans are funny. We have thrived with a traditional run game for several years and people were always lamenting that we did not have a running QB for executing the read-option. Now we have a QB who can execute the read option and for the most part has made the right reads and people are lamenting that we do not have a traditional run game. Now there were a couple of short yardage plays where Huntley took the ball and followed the RB into the hole. I would prefer a short yardage set with someone who looks a lot like Shawn Asiata in the backfield and handing off to Moss. Sometimes I think Moss dances in the hole when he should just put his head down and run with power.

Overall, I like the offense and maybe this is what the TT offense looks like.
    As SoCalPat has been saying for a while, we cant run between the tackles. We need more balance in the run game, or Huntley is going to get killed. Defenses are getting faster on the edge now, and we arent going to be able to rely almost exclusively (so far) on the qb as the short yardage back. It wont work if our rb's dont take the pressure off. Booker or John White would be perfect in this offense.

I am surely no o-line expert, but a lot of tweets last last night were bashing Agasiva. Is he the weak link?

P.s. Can Moss run with power? I am not sure.
    Last edited by concerned; 09-17-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    We fans are funny. We have thrived with a traditional run game for several years and people were always lamenting that we did not have a running QB for executing the read-option. Now we have a QB who can execute the read option and for the most part has made the right reads and people are lamenting that we do not have a traditional run game. Now there were a couple of short yardage plays where Huntley took the ball and followed the RB into the hole. I would prefer a short yardage set with someone who looks a lot like Shawn Asiata in the backfield and handing off to Moss. Sometimes I think Moss dances in the hole when he should just put his head down and run with power.

Overall, I like the offense and maybe this is what the TT offense looks like.
    We ran a play early-mid fourth where we lined what looked to be a tight end up in the backfield. The TE locked up the rush end with a great block and sprung the RB for a good gain. It was glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think the timing is just a little frustrating. For a few years, we've had a great line and RBs, but our QB situation was just okay. Our WR situation was worse than okay. Now, we have an all-conference caliber WR and a good QB, but the line and RB situations are not great. Next year, the line and QB will be more experienced, but there may not be an all-conference WR or RB. So close to putting it all together, but close doesn't count.

We've been used to feeling good about 4th and 1, so it's hard to have to feel nervous about it now.

And it's easy to daydream about having Booker, Carrington, Huntley, and Bolles at the same time. That's a conference championship offense right there.
    PK tweeted out last night, "If the Utes had Carrington last year, would Troy Taylor even be here?" Arod may not have had Carrington, but he had 4 NFL linemen and and NFL running back. What would this years team look like with them?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    As SoCalPat has been saying for a while, we cant run between the tackles. We need more balance in the run game, or Huntley is going to get killed. Defenses are getting faster on the edge now, and we arent going to be able to rely almost exclusively (so far) on the qb as the short yardage back. It wont work if our rb's dont take the pressure off. Booker or John White would be perfect in this offense.

I am surely no o-line expert, but a lot of tweets last last night were bashing Agasiva. Is he the weak link?

P.s. Can Moss run with power? I am not sure.
    Not just balance in the run game, but this line doesn't pass block well at all. Huntley got hit way too many times on drop backs last night, and the only way we really minimize that issue is by rolling him out.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    PK tweeted out last night, "If the Utes had Carrington last year, would Troy Taylor even be here?" Arod may not have had Carrington, but he had 4 NFL linemen and and NFL running back. What would this years team look like with them?
    True. WR was always the missing ingredient for ARod. In the few years that we had WRs, they ended up hurt.

SoCal,
    I think there's more to rolling out Huntley than just the O'line issues. I don't think Huntley's very comfortable in the pocket yet. There were a few plays last night where San Jose did a nice job of containing Huntley with the D'ends. I haven't seen Ty go to a third read yet this season - in fact, he tends to lock in a little too much an an initial read. To your point, he doesn't have a lot of time but he still had plenty of downs last night where the protection held and he could have looked elsewhere. The interception at the end of the first half is a good example. He had time to go elsewhere but he locked in on Carrington and threw it late (Carrington was open early in the route).

I don't mean to sound negative - Huntley is a playmaker. It's really quite impressive for his third start. I think he'll get better in the pocket and the O'line will improve as well. I worry whether or not Barton has the foot speed/footwork to stay with D'ends from his tackle spot. Agasiva had a few brain cramps as well last night but he sure can get physical.

Where is the tight end in this offense? I sure hope Handley gets incorporated more. He has worked too hard to be cast aside as just a blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    SoCal,
    I think there's more to rolling out Huntley than just the O'line issues. I don't think Huntley's very comfortable in the pocket yet. There were a few plays last night where San Jose did a nice job of containing Huntley with the D'ends. I haven't seen Ty go to a third read yet this season - in fact, he tends to lock in a little too much an an initial read. To your point, he doesn't have a lot of time but he still had plenty of downs last night where the protection held and he could have looked elsewhere. The interception at the end of the first half is a good example. He had time to go elsewhere but he locked in on Carrington and threw it late (Carrington was open early in the route).

I don't mean to sound negative - Huntley is a playmaker. It's really quite impressive for his third start. I think he'll get better in the pocket and the O'line will improve as well. I worry whether or not Barton has the foot speed/footwork to stay with D'ends from his tackle spot. Agasiva had a few brain cramps as well last night but he sure can get physical.

Where is the tight end in this offense? I sure hope Handley gets incorporated more. He has worked too hard to be cast aside as just a blocker.
    I've wondered the second thing abut the tight ends. They have completely disappeared after being effective last year. It might be part Huntley (he's looking for Carrington every play) and part necessity (we need blockers!) And part Taylor's offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I've wondered the second thing abut the tight ends. They have completely disappeared after being effective last year. It might be part Huntley (he's looking for Carrington every play) and part necessity (we need blockers!) And part Taylor's offense.
    I was told this summer that Taylor wasn't going to use TEs as much. I think someone posted that here.

As for looking for Carrington every play, I think that's what you do when you have a Carrington. That said, we did have 8 people catch passes. Nacua had 7 receptions. And the old Huntley-to-Simpkins connection came alive on at least that one drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Reading between the lines, our TE's missed so much time they're behind.

Reality is they were out all of fall camp with a new offensive coordinator.

Couple that with the way Taylor has said he likes to run the offense and they're not seen much. Taylor likes to run, from his previous statements, a guy who can play as a TE or blocking back....not sure our TE's are versed enough on this offense to do that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I doubt that Samson will try to change hands with the ball while being tackled anytime soon.
    He wasn't hit. The fumble was because his plant foot slipped.

That being said he had another slip planting his right foot later in the game. He needs to keep his feet under him or get longer cleats.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    He wasn't hit. The fumble was because his plant foot slipped.

That being said he had another slip planting his right foot later in the game. He needs to keep his feet under him or get longer cleats.

Right. I forgot. Still, he shouldn't be changing hands while he's falling down.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-17-2017 at 06:44 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Maybe not a big deal but on a couple punt returns there were blockers who had poor angles and were unable to get in front of their targets. Instead of giving up or blocking in the back they continued downfield and just got in the way of the defender. Seems like in the past we would get a flag in those instances. It was nice to see the discipline.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."