Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI and DOJ Announce Corruption Charges in College Basketball

This whole thing has sucked me in. LA posted a link to Arizona's board and I've been reading it the last couple of days. They are pissed, not that they cheat but that Sean Miller is going to probably get fired over it.

Thank you. It's not good that Miller might get punished, but come on, it happens all the time to lots of coaches. It doesn't mean the end of those coaches at that institution.

I can't believe I forgot Calipari. Two Final Fours vacated and Oehler is wondering how we accept Miller if he gets punished by the NCAA.
    I love their thinking. "Everyone else is doing it so what is wrong?"

Arizona holding a press conference in about a half hour with Sean Miller present. Miller will have media availability.

Nobody has said anything, but that has to mean they are going to keep him around, right?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Arizona holding a press conference in about a half hour with Sean Miller present. Miller will have media availability.

Nobody has said anything, but that has to mean they are going to keep him around, right?
    Likely, for the time being anyway. I read yesterday that this meeting was not going to address Miller's status.

Who knows what they'll do, but what probably makes the most sense is to announce that Miller is not going to coach the remainder of the year and the school is going to undertake a thorough investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Who knows what they'll do, but what probably makes the most sense is to announce that Miller is not going to coach the remainder of the year and the school is going to undertake a thorough investigation.
    His words were very careful. Remember. he didn't get Bowen, and his statements about Ayton are true.

He didn't direct payment to Bowen because Bowen didn't go to Az, he just discussed payments. And they don't have him on a wire discussing payments to Ayton. His words were very very scripted and very very careful.

He's a scumbag.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 03-01-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Theyve doubled down on his innocence.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    His words were very careful. Remember. he didn't get Bowen, and his statements about Ayton are true.

He didn't direct payment to Bowen because Bowen didn't go to Az, he just discussed payments. And they don't have him on a wire discussing payments to Ayton. His words were very very scripted and very very careful.

He's a scumbag.
    Yup. He’s spent 5 days working with lawyers to carefully pick his words.

He even did the “I’ve never knowingly broken NCAA rules” it’s a qualifier, which people who don’t need an out never use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Theyve doubled down on his innocence.
    and ESPN is standing by their story

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...paying-recruit

He's a scumbag.
    He should be fired just for discussing payments. Period.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

He's a scumbag.
    They must have reason to think that ESPN's description of the wiretap conversations is wrong. Maybe they have talked to a defense counsel who has heard them. If ESPN reported the conversations accurately, they are committing suicide.

And he says he never spoke to Dawkins before Ayton committed, which was in Nov. 2016. But he never ever categorically denies talking to Dawkins.
    Last edited by concerned; 03-01-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    They must have reason to think that ESPN's description of the wiretap conversations is wrong. Maybe they have talked to a defense counsel who has heard them. If ESPN reported the conversations accurately, they are committing suicide.
    They apparently did not report it accurately. They got the wrong person. I don't think Dawkins has anything to do with Ayton. And Miller didn't direct any payments to Bowen. And he's gonna say this Dawkins guy made this request for money and he told him later to go jump in a lake. You can see where he is going with all this. He knows what is on the tape. He knows he probably said if you are talking money about my program in any way you talk to me and he's going to say he shut down Dawkins attempts to get money, because he runs a clean program and that is why Bowen didn't end up at Arizona.

I thought you were a a lawyer?

They apparently did not report it accurately. They got the wrong person. I don't think Dawkins has anything to do with Ayton. And Miller didn't direct any payments to Bowen. And he's gonna say this Dawkins guy made this request for money and he told him later to go jump in a lake. You can see where he is going with all this. He knows what is on the tape. He knows he probably said if you are talking money about my program in any way you talk to me and he's going to say he shut down Dawkins attempts to get money, because he runs a clean program and that is why Bowen didn't end up at Arizona.

I thought you were a a lawyer?

What I meant was whether the ESPN report is accurate that he was discussing payments period, whether it was Ayton or Bowen. If he was discussing payments, they are committing suicide. I thought maybe they have of way of saying he was not discussing payments with Dawkins, but something else. maybe it is ambiguous enough to be open to interpretations.

What I meant was whether the ESPN report is accurate that he was discussing payments period, whether it was Ayton or Bowen. If he was discussing payments, they are committing suicide. I thought maybe they have of way of saying he was not discussing payments with Dawkins, but something else. maybe it is ambiguous enough to be open to interpretations.
    I’m guessing Two Utes has it right. He’s going to claim he told Dawkins to talk to him in order to stop it.

But it doesn’t answer why he magically had no clue what Book was doing, or even why he took the guys call. If you’re not paying people you just don’t bother talking to him. It’s fairly obvious every major player in basketball knew what Dawkins game was.

C'mon concerned. If he quits or is fired, he is Dave Bliss. He will never work again. He carefully scripted his words and is going to make his stand and hope that tape never comes to light. He has no other reasonable choice.

And the feds haven't arrested or charged him, so the tape is obviously somewhat ambiguous. The feds are probably waiting for Book to flip in exchange for a plea deal. And if Book flips on him, Miller will claim he's a liar who is lying for the feds in exchange for a plea deal.

This is high fucking drama.

C'mon concerned. If he quits or is fired, he is Dave Bliss. He will never work again. He carefully scripted his words and is going to make his stand and hope that tape never comes to light. He has no other reasonable choice.

And the feds haven't arrested or charged him, so the tape is obviously somewhat ambiguous. The feds are probably waiting for Book to flip in exchange for a plea deal. And if Book flips on him, Miller will claim he's a liar who is lying for the feds in exchange for a plea deal.

This is high fucking drama.
    He may have no choice but to make that stand, but why would the University? They cant gamble that the tape never comes to light, because it will. If it is incriminating as to Miller, they are committing suicide, especially after what they said last October. They must have reason to think that the tape is not incriminating (as to an NCAA violation, not necessarily as to a crime).

And as I said the other day, I saw an article that said the reason that Miller has not been charged may be that he has not committed a crime. An NCAA violation, but not a crime, even if Ayton or Bowen got paid. The assts got charged becasue they took money for themselves. No evidence that Miller has. (At least that is what I read; cant vouch for its accuracy).

He may have no choice but to make that stand, but why would the University? They cant gamble that the tape never comes to light, because it will. If it is incriminating as to Miller, they are committing suicide, especially after what they said last October. They must have reason to think that the tape is not incriminating (as to an NCAA violation, not necessarily as to a crime).

And as I said the other day, I saw an article that said the reason that Miller has not been charged may be that he has not committed a crime. An NCAA violation, but not a crime, even if Ayton or Bowen got paid. The assts got charged becasue they took money for themselves. No evidence that Miller has. (At least that is what I read; cant vouch for its accuracy).
    Well, Arizona’s board of regents hasn’t even met yet. Their meeting about Miller is this afternoon....sort of odd the press conference was before that isn’t it?

My guess is there is turmoil going on and people are doing things they maybe shouldn’t be doing

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Well, Arizona’s board of regents hasn’t even met yet. Their meeting about Miller is this afternoon....sort of odd the press conference was before that isn’t it?

My guess is there is turmoil going on and people are doing things they maybe shouldn’t be doing

so that press conference had to be designed to force the board of regents not to do anything. We will see.

as much as I dislike UA's hoops program, I wish the PAC-12 wasn't involved at all. And the fact that the Wildcats are the headliner is depressing.

A fascinating dance is going on right now.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

well U of A is going all in.

well U of A is going all in.

Here you go from the Yahoo report:

Miller acknowledged that he had one conversation with someone soliciting money in exchange for a player attending Arizona, but did not disclose the identity of the player, the person he spoke with or the time frame for that discussion.
    “I did not agree to it,” Miller said. “It never happened and that player did not come to the University of Arizona.”

I guess this whole thing is a lot easier for me as a lawyer. After finding out a little bit about this whole ordeal and then listening to his prepared statement it is very very clear what his defense is. he's been working with his lawyers for 5 days. he knows about the wire tap. he knows they have him but he also knows he didn't give Bowen any money. he can spin that conversation. And that's what he intends to do.

Here you go from the Yahoo report:

Miller acknowledged that he had one conversation with someone soliciting money in exchange for a player attending Arizona, but did not disclose the identity of the player, the person he spoke with or the time frame for that discussion.
    “I did not agree to it,” Miller said. “It never happened and that player did not come to the University of Arizona.”

I guess this whole thing is a lot easier for me as a lawyer. After finding out a little bit about this whole ordeal and then listening to his prepared statement it is very very clear what his defense is. he's been working with his lawyers for 5 days. he knows about the wire tap. he knows they have him but he also knows he didn't give Bowen any money. he can spin that conversation. And that's what he intends to do.
    that is the question--can he spin it? Did he tall Dawkins, we dont do that at Arizona, or did he suggest that it might be a possibility. If the report is accurate as to content, he said something to the effect "you deal with me regarding money. Not the assistant." That statement might be hard t spin, but again, he must have a pretty good idea of the content of the conversation on the tap.

And now Trier has been cleared to play tonight. Apparently Arizona is still writing checks.

that is the question--can he spin it? Did he tall Dawkins, we dont do that at Arizona, or did he suggest that it might be a possibility. If the report is accurate as to content, he said something to the effect "you deal with me regarding money. Not the assistant." That statement might be hard t spin, but again, he must have a pretty good idea of the content of the conversation on the tap.
    It's fascinating to me that Arizona is willing to make this bet. I can hardly believe they haven't canned him.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It's fascinating to me that Arizona is willing to make this bet. I can hardly believe they haven't canned him.
    Schlabaugh was on ESPN last night saying that he stood by his story/source...AND that the tape is currently under an FBI seal. So, essential what Arizona is saying is "lets hear the tape," knowing that at a minimum the tape probably isn't coming out in the next month, so Miller coaches, Ayton plays, and now Trier too and they get to make their run. "Us against the world" and all that.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Here’s an interesting post by the guy who writes the PacHoops blog. He’s a devoted Arizona fan. Good insights here about how those people see the world.

http://pachoops.com/2018/03/the-unknown/

--Yeats

sure sounds like Sean Miller is looking for the 3:10 to Yuma

Craig MeyerVerified account @CraigMeyerPGFollowFollow
    @CraigMeyerPG

More

Sean Miller and Pitt AD Heather Lyke have discussed the Panthers' vacant head coaching position

https://twitter.com/CraigMeyerPG/sta...04743509086208

Shocking development.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Shocking development.

Doesn’t he realize it will be much harder to get his degree while in the NBA?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Doesn’t he realize it will be much harder to get his degree while in the NBA?
    Much easier to pay back "school loans" though.