Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI and DOJ Announce Corruption Charges in College Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I’d say this leaves more questions than answers.

Lots of lines of payed out money, which would appear to be bad business as these guys never seemed to sign, but there’s nothing to corroborate it. There’s nothing showing how these payments were made, or who they were made to.

And frankly, why would anyone spend money trying to get Kuz to sign in the fall of 2015?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And add Wichita State to the list.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ken-ncaa-rules

Other teams with current or former players who allegedly received payments were South Carolina, Louisville, Utah, Xavier, Wichita State, Clemson and Alabama. Other players named include former LSU guard Tim Quarterman, former Maryland center Diamond Stone and former Kentucky center Edrice "Bam" Adebayo.

I do remember Keith VanHorn receiving an extra benefit when Majerus bought him dinner to tell him his father had died and the paid for a plane ticket to the funeral, but I'm guessing the allegation is more recent than that. Interesting. Now all the speculation will start.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I do remember Keith VanHorn receiving an extra benefit when Majerus bought him dinner to tell him his father had died and the paid for a plane ticket to the funeral, but I'm guessing the allegation is more recent than that. Interesting. Now all the speculation will start.
    Kuzma’s name is on a list saying he received $9,500 sometime before 12/31/15 from an agent

It doesn’t detail when it was paid, to whom it was paid or anything else.

It’s an odd timeframe for a pro agent to try and sway Kuz, no one really knew where Kuz was headed at that time.

Kuzma’s name is on a list saying he received $9,500 sometime before 12/31/15 from an agent

It doesn’t detail when it was paid, to whom it was paid or anything else.

It’s an odd timeframe for a pro agent to try and sway Kuz, no one really knew where Kuz was headed at that time.

There was a story about Kuzma indicating that a high school coach or somebody told Utah coaches they needed to pay him to get Kuzma on an official visit.

FBI and DOJ Announce Corruption Charges in College Basketball

Several questions arise. The article says the records show Kuzma received $9,500 “while in school.” Does that mean in school at the U? Or in prep school? Who got the money, Kyle or his coach/school? (IIRC it was the school, or someone affiliated with it, that Larry said demanded $50K for Kyle’s transcript.) We’ll see where this goes. Might not be pretty.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

With how outspoken Larry has been about this, particularly about the Kuzma recruitment story, I have to believe that he and the staff knew nothing about this.

Isn't this a record for 2015? So Kuzma was loaned $9500 from an agent while he was playing for the U? I don't really see how this has anything to do with the U staff, other than they had an ineligible player playing for them (that they were presumably unaware of). It's certainly not a good thing, but I don't see anything terribly negative as it relates to our coaches or program.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Isn't this a record for 2015? So Kuzma was loaned $9500 from an agent while he was playing for the U? I don't really see how this has anything to do with the U staff, other than they had an ineligible player playing for them (that they were presumably unaware of). It's certainly not a good thing, but I don't see anything terribly negative as it relates to our coaches or program.
    There will certainly be some coaches in some programs aware of players receiving money from agents, but my guess is the vast majority of these types of payments were unknown to coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    There will certainly be some coaches in some programs aware of players receiving money from agents, but my guess is the vast majority of these types of payments were unknown to coaches.

Mandel's earlier article said there were wiretaps, so we may find out, to some extent (at least the more recent ones).

Utah is listed immediately following Louisville ... what the F is going on, on the hill?

Still nothing on Yurtseven, who we know took money, right? For as long as this list is, there must be an even longer list of those who are going to get away with it.

And frankly, why would anyone spend money trying to get Kuz to sign in the fall of 2015?
    Kuz was a reasonably well regarded recruit, right?

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Utah is listed immediately following Louisville ... what the F is going on, on the hill?
    Corruption oozing out everywhere.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    In case people have hit their monthly Trib allotment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    In case people have hit their monthly Trib allotment.

If you have hit your monthly allotment, you should cough up. Where would this state be if the Trib went under? (even if you are out of state)

Another thought: these payments allegedly occurred before Dec. 31, 2015. The payments to Fultz and d. Smith, at least, have to have occured while they were in high school. could same be true of Kuzma (if they happened during 2015, obviously not, if before, maybe).

This seems...significant.

Wow.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    And add Wichita State to the list.
    VanVleet took a loan for $4K from an agent. Big deal. I'm not gonna pretend Shockers with pro potential aren't talking with agents. I have no problem with that. The idea that WSU is shelling out $100K for players is laughable -- and the more serious offense.

Miller should resign, and if he doesn't, every AD in the league needs to order their team from taking the floor against Arizona in Las Vegas. This kind of overt, caught-red-handed cheating, so long as it's against NCAA rules, cannot be endorsed in the slightest. I suspect it won't get that far, and Zona names an interim coach while Miller, at best, is suspended (and ultimately fired). Arizona's also playing with fire if it lets Ayton play in any more games.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Miller should resign, and if he doesn't, every AD in the league needs to order their team from taking the floor against Arizona in Las Vegas. This kind of overt, caught-red-handed cheating, so long as it's against NCAA rules, cannot be endorsed in the slightest. I suspect it won't get that far, and Zona names an interim coach while Miller, at best, is suspended (and ultimately fired). Arizona's also playing with fire if it lets Ayton play in any more games.
    Miller wondering what all the fuss is about.

Gee,i wonder about Akot and markaanen.

Good news is that unlike Louisville, Arizona won't have to forfeit any national championships

If this is true then I guess the rest of Miller’s life will be spent working as the cook in a monastery somewhere. Or maybe hosting a sports talk radio show.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-23-2018 at 11:40 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Good news is that unlike Louisville, Arizona won't have to forfeit any national championships
    Zing!

So when is the hammer coming down on Enfield?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

https://twitter.com/BrucePascoe/stat...61611227463681

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Wow. Dickie V bringing some chin music.

Last edited by U-Ute; 02-24-2018 at 08:23 AM.