Thread: FBI and DOJ Announce Corruption Charges in College Basketball

Hybrid View

A fascinating dance is going on right now.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

well U of A is going all in.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    well U of A is going all in.

Here you go from the Yahoo report:

Miller acknowledged that he had one conversation with someone soliciting money in exchange for a player attending Arizona, but did not disclose the identity of the player, the person he spoke with or the time frame for that discussion.
    “I did not agree to it,” Miller said. “It never happened and that player did not come to the University of Arizona.”

I guess this whole thing is a lot easier for me as a lawyer. After finding out a little bit about this whole ordeal and then listening to his prepared statement it is very very clear what his defense is. he's been working with his lawyers for 5 days. he knows about the wire tap. he knows they have him but he also knows he didn't give Bowen any money. he can spin that conversation. And that's what he intends to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Here you go from the Yahoo report:

Miller acknowledged that he had one conversation with someone soliciting money in exchange for a player attending Arizona, but did not disclose the identity of the player, the person he spoke with or the time frame for that discussion.
    “I did not agree to it,” Miller said. “It never happened and that player did not come to the University of Arizona.”

I guess this whole thing is a lot easier for me as a lawyer. After finding out a little bit about this whole ordeal and then listening to his prepared statement it is very very clear what his defense is. he's been working with his lawyers for 5 days. he knows about the wire tap. he knows they have him but he also knows he didn't give Bowen any money. he can spin that conversation. And that's what he intends to do.
    that is the question--can he spin it? Did he tall Dawkins, we dont do that at Arizona, or did he suggest that it might be a possibility. If the report is accurate as to content, he said something to the effect "you deal with me regarding money. Not the assistant." That statement might be hard t spin, but again, he must have a pretty good idea of the content of the conversation on the tap.

And now Trier has been cleared to play tonight. Apparently Arizona is still writing checks.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    that is the question--can he spin it? Did he tall Dawkins, we dont do that at Arizona, or did he suggest that it might be a possibility. If the report is accurate as to content, he said something to the effect "you deal with me regarding money. Not the assistant." That statement might be hard t spin, but again, he must have a pretty good idea of the content of the conversation on the tap.
    It's fascinating to me that Arizona is willing to make this bet. I can hardly believe they haven't canned him.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It's fascinating to me that Arizona is willing to make this bet. I can hardly believe they haven't canned him.
    Schlabaugh was on ESPN last night saying that he stood by his story/source...AND that the tape is currently under an FBI seal. So, essential what Arizona is saying is "lets hear the tape," knowing that at a minimum the tape probably isn't coming out in the next month, so Miller coaches, Ayton plays, and now Trier too and they get to make their run. "Us against the world" and all that.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Here's a look back at an earlier time and a college basketball coach who stood for some important things:

Parole for drug lord Rayful Edmond? Ask for John Thompson’s permission

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...ons-permission

--Yeats

Is a subpoena a big deal?

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-ari...180149786.html

In a world where assistant coaches are convicted of federal bribery charges but the head coaches remain unaffected, I'm not sure how significant a subpoena is.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Is a subpoena a big deal?

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-ari...180149786.html

In a world where assistant coaches are convicted of federal bribery charges but the head coaches remain unaffected, I'm not sure how significant a subpoena is.
    Depends on what it asks for and how Miller responds. This ain't over by a long shot.

--Yeats

In the article Miller says: “I never paid a recruit & I never will.” DUH—his assistant coaches always paid, so that statement is true.

3 of his assistants are dirty per the article & he isn’t because he knew nothing about it.?! Even my mother (RIP), who loved AZ basketball more than anything else (& I put myself in that mix) would have a hard time swallowing that nonsense.