Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI and DOJ Announce Corruption Charges in College Basketball

Hybrid View

I'd say follow the baseball model.

Expand the NBA draft to 5 rounds. To be eligible for the draft you must be 18 OR completed your college "tour of duty".

If you are drafted, you can go sign with your team or go play college ball. If you play college ball, you are not eligible for the draft for three years.

Expand NBA rosters to 25 players. 15 "NBA" players and 10 G-League players.

This way everyone can be drafted, NBA teams can put players in the G-League and pay them, and if a kid goes to college, then college teams have some sort of stability and the kids can be better coached.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This is why the U should have added soccer instead of lacrosse. If football does die as a sport, we will need to replace it with something.

Sports in general seem to become less popular with each generation. The whole college athletics thing could die and be replaced with League of Legends tournaments.
    I'm going slightly off topic here, but I've thought about how sports are dying as well. It's so different now compared to when I grew up. I played football, basketball and baseball all throughout high school.

Now a days, these kids have so much more "sports" pressure than I did. I went to practice, played hard, and when the season ended, I moved onto the next sport. These days, they are year round.

Heck, even my 7 year old is playing city league soccer and he has practice three times a week and two games on some saturdays.

It's ridiculous. It's too much. He needs time to be a kid. Find bugs, climb trees, swear with his friends.

Putting your kid in a sport year round won't get them to college or the pros. Your kid has it or he doesn't. This culture now a days is silly.

I can see why sports are less popular now. It was fun for me growing up. Sports are almost like a job for these kids. It's too bad. I can see why they'd rather play/watch video games.

Most players are probably worth less than the cost of their tuition, but that is taking the dollar cost of the incredibly overpriced tuition at face value.

Is the $30k+ tuition at most schools REALLY worth $30k? To most kids, no way.

can't wait for 3.0
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't think colleges should pay great athletes (I have no issues if they want to, but the way I understand higher education they shouldn't). What I think is really causing heartburn for some could be eliminated if the NBA (and the NFL) dropped the pretense and just allowed anybody, regardless of age, to be drafted. Then the whole 1-and-done phenomenon would die.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I don't think colleges should pay great athletes (I have no issues if they want to, but the way I understand higher education they shouldn't). What I think is really causing heartburn for some could be eliminated if the NBA (and the NFL) dropped the pretense and just allowed anybody, regardless of age, to be drafted. Then the whole 1-and-done phenomenon would die.
    What do you think about handling it the way MLB does?

In the NFL and NBA drafts, high school players are (now) ineligible. College players who are underclassmen must declare for the draft. If they remain in the draft until it occurs, they have given up NCAA eligibility and have "gone pro" whether they are drafted or not.

In the MLB draft, a player can be picked as many as five times before signing. Players are eligible after their high school senior year. They can be drafted, but even after being drafted they can either sign or opt to go to school.

At that point, a player who goes to a four-year institution is with one exception ineligible to be drafted again until after his third year in school.
    But even then, a player picked after his third year in school can opt to return to school again.

That one exception is players who turn 21 within 45 days of the end of the draft are eligible to be drafted whether they are in their third year of school or not. Usually this rule applies to sophomores, but in a few exceptions freshmen have been eligible as well.

A player who goes to a junior college can be drafted at the end of any year of their junior college career. So conceivably, a player can be drafted in high school, after a freshman year at a junior college, again after their sophomore season at a junior college, then after a redshirt year at a Division I school, again after their redshirt junior season and then after their senior season.

Slot bonus rules means that most teams now sign all their top 10-round picks and most of their picks in the top 15 rounds. But very few teams ever sign everyone they draft and some draftees will never even receiver a significant bonus offer from the team that picked them.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...ZkzOxVVh4tU.99

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Larry Krystkowiak talks frankly about recruiting in aftermath of FBI/NCAA scandal

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-ut...-of-our-faces/

Good comments by Larry. I am starting to feel a little worried about what will happen next. I’m sure that the big targets of these investigations have hired the best law firms to represent them. I wonder what phone calls have been made to legislators, and what kind of pressure will be brought against the Department of Justice? My jaded side is starting to manifest itself. I hope there’s no backing down.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Larry Krystkowiak talks frankly about recruiting in aftermath of FBI/NCAA scandal

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-ut...-of-our-faces/

Good comments by Larry. I am starting to feel a little worried about what will happen next. I’m sure that the big targets of these investigations have hired the best law firms to represent them. I wonder what phone calls have been made to legislators, and what kind of pressure will be brought against the Department of Justice? My jaded side is starting to manifest itself. I hope there’s no backing down.
    Larry was on with Bill Reilly today and said that the folks at Kuzma's prep school were trying to get 50k for Kyle to come on the visit, and then another 50k to get him to sign. Kyle and his guardian ended up paying their own way on the unofficial visit and he committed on the visit. They reported it to the NCAA at the time. Oh by the way, that prep school is still in business. Larry bringing the heat!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I wonder if Cedric Barfield got paid by Larry Brown or some shoe company to go to SMU.
    Last edited by concerned; 10-05-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Larry was on with Bill Reilly today and said that the folks at Kuzma's prep school were trying to get 50k for Kyle to come on the visit, and then another 50k to get him to sign. Kyle and his guardian ended up paying their own way on the unofficial visit and he committed on the visit. They reported it to the NCAA at the time. Oh by the way, that prep school is still in business. Larry bringing the heat!
    dumb question about recruiting.
    Why did Kyle have to pay his own way for an unofficial? I'm assuming the H.S. has to sign off on the official visit?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    dumb question about recruiting.
    Why did Kyle have to pay his own way for an unofficial? I'm assuming the H.S. has to sign off on the official visit?
    I believe a school has to have a copy of the students transcript in order to make it an official visit. Why Kyle couldn't just send it to them, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I believe a school has to have a copy of the students transcript in order to make it an official visit. Why Kyle couldn't just send it to them, I don't know.
    maybe Kuz sent it to the wrong team or bounced it off his foot

that joke

A copy of both the transcript and a standardized test score are required.

Sounds like the prep school was playing games and Kuz and his guardian decided to just bypass it all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like someone at the prep school was holding his transcripts hostage.

FBI and DOJ Announce Corruption Charges in College Basketball

I’d say this leaves more questions than answers.

Lots of lines of payed out money, which would appear to be bad business as these guys never seemed to sign, but there’s nothing to corroborate it. There’s nothing showing how these payments were made, or who they were made to.

And frankly, why would anyone spend money trying to get Kuz to sign in the fall of 2015?

Still nothing on Yurtseven, who we know took money, right? For as long as this list is, there must be an even longer list of those who are going to get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    And frankly, why would anyone spend money trying to get Kuz to sign in the fall of 2015?
    Kuz was a reasonably well regarded recruit, right?

I’d say this leaves more questions than answers.

Lots of lines of payed out money, which would appear to be bad business as these guys never seemed to sign, but there’s nothing to corroborate it. There’s nothing showing how these payments were made, or who they were made to.

And add Wichita State to the list.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ken-ncaa-rules

Other teams with current or former players who allegedly received payments were South Carolina, Louisville, Utah, Xavier, Wichita State, Clemson and Alabama. Other players named include former LSU guard Tim Quarterman, former Maryland center Diamond Stone and former Kentucky center Edrice "Bam" Adebayo.

I do remember Keith VanHorn receiving an extra benefit when Majerus bought him dinner to tell him his father had died and the paid for a plane ticket to the funeral, but I'm guessing the allegation is more recent than that. Interesting. Now all the speculation will start.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I do remember Keith VanHorn receiving an extra benefit when Majerus bought him dinner to tell him his father had died and the paid for a plane ticket to the funeral, but I'm guessing the allegation is more recent than that. Interesting. Now all the speculation will start.
    Kuzma’s name is on a list saying he received $9,500 sometime before 12/31/15 from an agent

It doesn’t detail when it was paid, to whom it was paid or anything else.

It’s an odd timeframe for a pro agent to try and sway Kuz, no one really knew where Kuz was headed at that time.

Kuzma’s name is on a list saying he received $9,500 sometime before 12/31/15 from an agent

It doesn’t detail when it was paid, to whom it was paid or anything else.

It’s an odd timeframe for a pro agent to try and sway Kuz, no one really knew where Kuz was headed at that time.

There was a story about Kuzma indicating that a high school coach or somebody told Utah coaches they needed to pay him to get Kuzma on an official visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    And add Wichita State to the list.
    VanVleet took a loan for $4K from an agent. Big deal. I'm not gonna pretend Shockers with pro potential aren't talking with agents. I have no problem with that. The idea that WSU is shelling out $100K for players is laughable -- and the more serious offense.

FBI and DOJ Announce Corruption Charges in College Basketball

Several questions arise. The article says the records show Kuzma received $9,500 “while in school.” Does that mean in school at the U? Or in prep school? Who got the money, Kyle or his coach/school? (IIRC it was the school, or someone affiliated with it, that Larry said demanded $50K for Kyle’s transcript.) We’ll see where this goes. Might not be pretty.

--Yeats

With how outspoken Larry has been about this, particularly about the Kuzma recruitment story, I have to believe that he and the staff knew nothing about this.

Isn't this a record for 2015? So Kuzma was loaned $9500 from an agent while he was playing for the U? I don't really see how this has anything to do with the U staff, other than they had an ineligible player playing for them (that they were presumably unaware of). It's certainly not a good thing, but I don't see anything terribly negative as it relates to our coaches or program.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Isn't this a record for 2015? So Kuzma was loaned $9500 from an agent while he was playing for the U? I don't really see how this has anything to do with the U staff, other than they had an ineligible player playing for them (that they were presumably unaware of). It's certainly not a good thing, but I don't see anything terribly negative as it relates to our coaches or program.
    There will certainly be some coaches in some programs aware of players receiving money from agents, but my guess is the vast majority of these types of payments were unknown to coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    There will certainly be some coaches in some programs aware of players receiving money from agents, but my guess is the vast majority of these types of payments were unknown to coaches.

Mandel's earlier article said there were wiretaps, so we may find out, to some extent (at least the more recent ones).

Utah is listed immediately following Louisville ... what the F is going on, on the hill?

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Utah is listed immediately following Louisville ... what the F is going on, on the hill?
    Corruption oozing out everywhere.

--Yeats